ABS/ traction control light on dash with alarm sounding???

brettavey
Been here a while

ABS/ traction control light on dash with alarm sounding???

Unread post by brettavey » February 12th, 2014, 8:27 am

Hello, yesterday I started my car and I had the traction control, abs, and brake lights on the dash that would not go out as well as an audible alarm. I pulled apart all the brakes and cleaned them up along with the and sensors and now I don't have any rear brakes ie: the pistons will no longer compress around the disc. I still have the lights on and sound I have checked fuses what am I missing?
Brett
07 Pajero VRX Black, dual battery system, lift kit, uhf, rear draws and more to come.

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Re: ABS/ traction control light on dash with alarm sounding?

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » February 12th, 2014, 2:36 pm

Sounds like you have suffered some kind of failure in the hydraulic brake unit.
Considering you don't have rear brakes any more, sounds like it is time to have it towed to the dealer for diagnosis :(
Keep us posted with how you go.
Dan.

brettavey
Been here a while

Unread post by brettavey » February 13th, 2014, 8:54 am

Do you know if you can repair the master cylinder with a kit or do I have to replace entire unit?

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » February 13th, 2014, 12:19 pm

I'm not 100% Brett but I think people just usually replace them. It is a very complicated unit....
Dan.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » February 13th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Brettavey
I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would go and pull the brake to pieces.
If the alarms and lights and ABS and TC stuff is indicating it is very unlikely to be the gear at the wheels if it was working when you last stopped.
Does yours have a Vacuum Booster or is it a integral ABS motor operated brake unit with no booster?
If the motor can't start or the connecters are loose/fuse blown or even the motor armature/brushes are sus, then it will not do anything but tell you things you don't want to see.
Some more info on what style of unit will be handy.

brettavey
Been here a while

Unread post by brettavey » February 15th, 2014, 5:54 pm

Ok my unit is a combined one. The abs servo beside the main master cylinder is faulty, it does not cycle on startup. Once I give it a tap with a hammer it begins to work, all lights go out and alarm stops and I have brakes again. This only lasts for a short while then it goes back to no brakes and alarm. The abs servo unit apparently has an issue on these models you can only buy the complete unit at a cost of $3000. If their was a way to just remove servo and see if I can repair it would be better.
Brett

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » February 15th, 2014, 6:07 pm

It may be the electric pump motor is sick and the rest is OK. Perhaps looking at the motor is first on the list before you get into hydraulic stuff.

A knock and start type fault is often worn out or sticking brushes. Also the motor will be the same as used on other vehicle of the same brand or even other vehicles as they are often made and supplied by a third party supplier.

brettavey
Been here a while

Unread post by brettavey » February 16th, 2014, 11:14 am

This is a photo of the item. Can this be pulled apart without taking complete master cylinder off?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brettavey
Been here a while

Unread post by brettavey » February 22nd, 2014, 2:32 pm

Well after spending $600 at my local mitsubishi dealer the problem is still their. The problem is the abs module pump that is faulty, quote to fix $3200 as the assembly can only be purchased as a complete unit. After taking the complete unit off I was able to remove the abs pump 2x bolts and remove cover to find the motor missing brushes and brass off the armature. Monday I will see if this part can be fixed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » February 22nd, 2014, 4:03 pm

Brett

The hydraulics usually don't fail it is mostly the motors throw in the towel.
That motor will be the same as used on a variety of Mitsubishi's and may be available from a wrecker, where the ABS unit has had a whack and the motor is untouched.

Often the pipes get damaged/cut off in a decent bump and the motor is still ok. I would be checking that option first.

It may be from a car or ute even a van, no matter. If the physicals of the motor is the same you're in business.

Anything mysterious and which has lots of pipes and wires always costs an arm at a dealers.
No one at a dealers has ever looked inside one. Aluminium voodoo doll to them.

I have a very similar pump hanging in my shed, I will go and look to see if it is same same. Any more views of it of other side?

PS your aluminium stand is all grotty like mine is!

brettavey
Been here a while

Unread post by brettavey » February 22nd, 2014, 9:48 pm

Thanks for the info here is another pick of it the black round cylinder on the bottom holds the motor.tomorrow I will take a photo of the actual motor if that helps.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » February 22nd, 2014, 10:44 pm

I went and had a look at mine hanging up and although it is the similar idea it is an earlier style of thing.
Mine has two widely spaced protruding bolt terminals for the heavy current feed to the armature where yours has the white close connected block.
So, not the same at all.

Depending on the size of the motor and its general construction and particularly the motor/pump end drive arrangement, all those things will have to be similar. The outer end is just a bearing and holds the armature so no tech there.

Have you had the armature out and able to see the drive end where it enters the pump? That length and how far it extends into the pump will be critical feature. Just finding a same duty motor is easier but the drive is the thing.

Has to be a few around and suppliers of motors for similar units could be Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Denso.and some others.
So the brand name will lead to finding similar motors.

It will be a high torque motor and not just like a fan motor.

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » February 22nd, 2014, 11:02 pm

Brett,
I just dug this thread out of the dark depths of the Pajero forum: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/sho ... php?t=9360
It seems that others have had the booster motor repaired in the past also. There are a couple of businesses mentioned on Page 2 that appear to have done the job.
Hope this helps.
Dan.

brettavey
Been here a while

Unread post by brettavey » February 23rd, 2014, 12:28 pm

Here are some photos of the internal motor

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » February 23rd, 2014, 1:42 pm

Brett
That is far more powerful than any air compressor motor and by the thickness of the windings and the width of the commutator segments it does use a fair bit of current.

Have you got the the drive end yet, so you can see if the shaft is a double flat drive or maybe a spline to run the pump?

What make, length of body, dia etc is the motor?

Return to “Pajero”