Busted DMF on Pajero NL 2.8

imense
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Busted DMF on Pajero NL 2.8

Unread post by imense » October 17th, 2015, 9:07 pm

Here are - first test drive pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » October 17th, 2015, 9:23 pm

Thats a tough Liana.

Tropical
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Tropical » November 8th, 2015, 10:35 am

I'm currently going through the same drama with my 2004 misubishi montero with 2.8 diesel. There's lots of solid mass flywheels and clutches around from L200 trucks with the same motor, but one is a push type clutch and mine is pull type (or vice versa) Can the solid flywheel and clutch plate etc from an l200 just bolt onto my montero with dual mass flywheel? What exactly is included in a "conversion kit"?

Tropical
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Tropical » November 8th, 2015, 10:39 am

My mechanic seems to think everything from a l200 will fit nicely but he's not sure about the connection for the slave cylinder......

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 8th, 2015, 11:52 am

Tropical, there is a fair amount of commonality between the 2 vehicles, especially the models that run the same engines &/or gearboxes, but you've stumbled across one of the most significant issues with mixing'n matching engine/gearbox components or really ANY components on a motor vehicle like this!! While the 'major' bits of these 'common' components can appear identical, the devil is in the detail!! You might find that the specs & dimensions etc are identical, but unless the part numbers & the 'form, fit, & function' are also identical, you can find things that should just bolt up simply won't!! And some manufacturers seem to go out of their way to build tiny but very significant differences into the 'common' items so you are forced to use the 'correct' one for your model vehicle every time!!

Sorry that I can't definitely help here, & unless someone else can, it's likely you will end up doing what the rest of us who've worked on modding/upgrading vehicles by mixing'n matching components have all faced at some time - you may have no real choice but to either do the painstaking research to ensure the bits you want to swap are identical in every way, not just their major specs & shape - possibly even taking pics & measurements to make sure; OR you can bite the bullet & buy one & try to get it to work.... It might even be easier & cheaper in the long run to get the L200 SMF & ancilliaries & maybe fab up a bracket or 2 &/or mod things enough to make the L200 SMF/clutch work on your vehicle than it is to track down the Montero DMF bits & then still have the same problems down track at some stage... but it can be a pain & the more you hafta do the more costly it all becomes, even if it's just in time & effort!! Or maybe you could try the welding conversion option shown earlier?!

If you do end up running the L200 bits &/or doing anything different to make it work & don't want to end up guessing at what's happened earlier on the vehicle like the OP in this thread, don't forget to make sure you document EXACTLY what bits you've swapped/changed, what the Montero Part no's were & what you've used instead, clearly identify what mods you've made or parts you've had to fabricate, & keep at least 2 copies of all that documentation (1 set in the vehicle glove box & 1 set with all your 'important' vehicle docs like rego & ins policies etc at home) cos if you ever want to sell the vehicle OR you ever have a problem in the same general area/components of the vehicle again, it'll be a right pain if you hafta work it all out once again & try to re-create the what, where, why, & how of the whole process quickly or somewhere remote.... :eek:

The various 'conversion kits' for doing this sort of conversion 'usually' have the major components needed to do the swap/mix'n match (the Aust Clutch version linked earlier looked pretty comprehensive & you will generally do OK with a 'reputable supplier' vs eBay or similar) but some don't, & some of the dodgier ebay kits don't even get anywhere near..... You hafta work out what you are likely to need & then find a kit that includes all the right bits. You might need the different flywheel; the clutch & pressure plates to suit; the clutch plumbing & slave cylinder for a hydraulic clutch or all the activation cabling etc for a mechanical clutch; the right spigot bearing, throw-out bearing, clutch fork, etc; maybe even a different bell housing.... or it could just be that you need to pull the DMF off the crank & slip on the Solid flywheel & then bolt it & all the other gear back on - & regardless of what's involved in the conversion you'll still hafta learn to put up with any changes that result, often going from a DMF to a solid means you get a heavier clutch feel & more noise/vibration once driving, it can also be harder on gearbox & engine components as well as driveline & running gear components downstream... but the solids are usually more robust themselves - not so sure about how long the welded-up DMF jobbies last tho! ;)

Welcome to the world of vehicle modding! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Pajero”