Busted DMF on Pajero NL 2.8

dexter74
Here and there

Busted DMF on Pajero NL 2.8

Unread post by dexter74 » February 12th, 2013, 3:02 am

My engine now vibrate at the beginning of start up and from the readings I think it is due to a busted DMF. The engine has done about 213,000 km and have never replaced the DMF.

I see a lot of people in the forums replaced the DMF to SMF due to cost and reliability reasons.
i would also like to go for SMF but too bad that here in Malaysia, nobody sells the conversion kit. Buying from other country will cost me a bomb.

I was thinking of asking a friend who works in China to buy me a flywheel there but they only have for the 4M41 engine. Will it fit the 4M40?

Besides the flywheel, what else do I need to replace? My current clutch is pull type.
Clutch plate/disc with spring dampers?
Do I need to change the existing clutch cover to a different type?

Regards.

Dexter

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Re: Busted DMF on Pajero NL 2.8

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » February 12th, 2013, 9:08 am

Gday Dexter.
You have done pretty well to get over 200K from a DMF!
I had to replace the DMF on my 4M41 powered Pajero last year, with just over 125K on the clock.
I bought a SMF conversion kit manufactured by Australian Clutch Services http://www.australianclutch.com.au
Their part numbers for the conversion kits for the 4M40 & 4M41 are different so I would think that they are not interchangeable.
Did any of the 4M40 engines in the Malaysian delivered Triton / L200 for example, use a SMF?
I thought that all of the 4M40 powered Mitsubishis delivered to Australia used a single mass flywheel and only some of the grey imports used the DMF. But I could be wrong....
Perhaps try contact this ebay seller to see if they will post overseas and get a quote: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubishi-P ... 3f1f8c751e
Good luck!
Dan.

dexter74
Here and there

Unread post by dexter74 » February 13th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Gday Dan,
Thanks for the reply. Yeah.. that worries me too although some people in other forums says that the 4M40 flywheel and clutch kits fits the 4M41 engine..I am not sure if it will the other way round.

The issue is that, my engine is Japs import and it's a MT. I do see some 2.8 Pajero here but not sure if they are equipped with DMF and whether the owner had busted them and replaced/convert them before.

Will try to contact the ebay links you gave and hopefully they will give some tips..

thanks..

dexter74
Here and there

Unread post by dexter74 » February 13th, 2013, 11:54 pm

I had a peek under the tranny today... it seems that the flywheel on my 2.8 Pajero 4M40 doesn't have the raised lips like the 3.2 (4M41).. however, my mech mate says that mine is also equipped with DMF.. hmmm.. anybody knows how the 2.8 DMF looks like?

dexter74
Here and there

Unread post by dexter74 » March 28th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Just to update you guys...

After the symptoms. . I managed to get another 10k km and 4 days ago the DMF went officially dead and I ended up on the flatbed. After 3 days of searching.. the elusive flywheel is nowhere to be found here in Malaysia..
Therefore.. the decision is to insery a pin and weld the flywheel together making it a SMF..
However, another problem came up.. the clutch disc needs to be replaced with those type with springs.. since there is no more damper in the flywheel... exedy Australia does sells the kit but the part numbers is not available in Malaysia. After a vistit to exwdy Malaysia, found out the the Ford Ranger Turbo clutch disc is the same and it has spring in it..the clutch diameter and the spline is the same...

Now.. I am waiting for the flywheel to be locked and welded before reinstall ing them..

Will post more updates later.. this solution is much cheaper then replacing the whole dmf to smf conversion kits.. IMHO

dexter74
Here and there

Unread post by dexter74 » March 29th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Updates of the Busted DMF with Photos.

Detail from Bottom to top.. (sorry mate). :redface: :redface:

The welded DMF side view.. there are six spots where we welded the piece together.

The DMF viewed from the top.. you can see 3 bolts to bolt the piece together. I hope the bolts and the welds will hold strong enough..

The new clutch disc with springs to absorb the torque.. otherwise.. the clutch disc will just disintegrate the moment you launch the car..

A close-up photo of the clutch disc center.. :D :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » March 30th, 2013, 8:18 am

Great job Dexter.
Keep us posted with how thte flywheel goes once you get it back in the car. Hopefully it is 'vibration free'.
Cheers, Dan.

dexter74
Here and there

Unread post by dexter74 » March 30th, 2013, 9:36 pm

The clutch disc is known as MDB063U in OZ Exedy.

If you dont change the clutch to the one with damper.. this is what you'll get after locking the DMF..

I took the car for a drive today.. it perform just like before but better.. so far, i have not noticed vibration yet.. will try to drive at a higher speed next week..

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » March 30th, 2013, 10:29 pm

dexter74
Have you considered the possibility the smaller rear section which gets heated hotter, cos of the friction, than the main disc may expand and crack the welds at the perimeter? May happen over time though through radial expansion and contraction.

I hope it doesn't.

Cheers
mydmax

dexter74
Here and there

Unread post by dexter74 » March 31st, 2013, 1:33 am

mydmax,

for now I would put that aside since I also have it bolted to the front section. Yes, the friction may cause it to heat up but I think it would stand.. as I have no other choice..

dexter74
Here and there

Unread post by dexter74 » April 2nd, 2013, 4:28 pm

took the car to the street and it's fine now.. so far.. at 3k rpm.. no abnormal vibrations felt..
all I want is the flywheel to hold up in my daily use and some hill climb to the highlands...

now.. how many types actually the 4M40 flywheel have? and how many actually uses push type clutches?

I found a solid flywheel but the clutch covers is actually larger than the current pull type..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imense
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by imense » October 15th, 2015, 10:22 am

Hi everyone I m from melbourne Australia and Right now i m traveling between turkey and pakistan by road and my pajero nm broke its dmf so i have to tow my pajero from a suzuki liana for 200km on freeway to city of lahore in pakistan and came to know dual mass flywheel or dmf and how very expensive,rare and way too much unreliable they are so i was thinking to convert it to single mass flywheel, but my mechanic said we need to change bell housing pressure plate clutch plate etc. After digging up abt dmf fuckups i stumble upon this thread .
So i have decided to weld my dmf as well.
Since the guy above me didnt update his threads abt whats happening with his welded dmf ,i will post pics before and after welding .
Here are dome pics of liana towing it for 200km with its tiny 1300cc engine full of occupants .
Cheers

imense
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by imense » October 15th, 2015, 10:32 am

Here are some pics .

imense
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by imense » October 15th, 2015, 10:36 am

Here are some shots from the inside of the pajero cabin.

imense
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by imense » October 17th, 2015, 9:04 pm

Finally its been welded sorry no photos .
Had a test drive didnt noticed anything same response as previous .
Did 140km/h seems all fine .

Return to “Pajero”