NM V6 hard to start?

bessy
Here and there

NM V6 hard to start?

Unread post by bessy » January 31st, 2009, 9:19 pm

Hi guys, got any ideas? I have a 2001 NM V6 manual but its hard to start if it's been sitting for a while. Just winds over and over and after about 5 seconds she will fire with a splutter. I have cleaned the throttle body and gave it some good injector cleaner but still the same. I thought it may be a lake of fuel psi? Also what's the best type of coolant to run as i have heard they can block up easy. Thanks :waycool:

-Aussie-
Been here a while

Unread post by -Aussie- » January 31st, 2009, 9:45 pm

Few things to try..

Clean Spark Plugs and re-gap them
Clean Air Filter
Check for Loose Ignition Leads
Replace Fuel Filter

If none of the above do anything...get your fuel pressure regulator checked.

Try the guys over at Pajero Club - Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria, they may know of a common prob.

Cheers,

Ben
[align=center][url=http://www.themotleycrew.info][size=134]The Motley Crew[/size][/url][/align]
[align=center]4WD & social Club of Australia Inc.
[url=http://www.themotleycrew.info/motley/index.php?option=com_chronocontact&chronoformname=Charitydoreg]Register for our Charity Do here[/url].[/align]

bessy
Here and there

Unread post by bessy » February 6th, 2009, 8:36 pm

aussie2000 wrote:Few things to try..

Clean Spark Plugs and re-gap them
Clean Air Filter
Check for Loose Ignition Leads
Replace Fuel Filter

If none of the above do anything...get your fuel pressure regulator checked.

Try the guys over at Pajero Club - Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria, they may know of a common prob.

Cheers,

Ben
Hi Ben, well it appears that the in tank pump has a one way valve that retains the fuel psi after switching off has failed. So we grabbed a one way valve out of a camry brake booster line and put it in the fuel line up near the fuel rail. FIXED:waycool: Simple hey. Thanks:truck:

Donisgood
Here and there

Unread post by Donisgood » February 7th, 2009, 8:09 am

Hey great idea, my Mk V6 Triton does this all the time, as it starts on fuel and then switches over to LPG. When you restart it takes like 5 sec to get the fuel back up to get it to fire. might be the same problem. Will check it out with my mechanic on monday. Thanks for the fix
Cheers D
MK Triton 2000mdl 4x4 GLS V6 3.0l
Alloy Bullbar/Chrome Rear barstep/Steps/4x 100watts Hella's on Rollbars/Canopy/DVD,GPS,Bluetooth,TV,Rev Camera/ RANCHO RS5000's all round! :thumb:

toy yoda

Unread post by toy yoda » February 7th, 2009, 8:31 am

something that 90% of people driving any efi car fail to do................turnn the ignition on and let the fuel pump prime for about 3-5 seconds , you will actually hear the buzz change!

ive had many customers that have had issues with vehicle not firing imediately, but simply turn key wait 3-5 secs then fire and all is good!!
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

bessy
Here and there

Unread post by bessy » February 10th, 2009, 4:21 pm

toy yoda wrote:something that 90% of people driving any efi car fail to do................turnn the ignition on and let the fuel pump prime for about 3-5 seconds , you will actually hear the buzz change!

ive had many customers that have had issues with vehicle not firing imediately, but simply turn key wait 3-5 secs then fire and all is good!!
you are dead right toy yoda but this one wouldn't fire after leaving it on for ten or more seconds. You would have to attempt to start it and wind the engine over and after the second attempt it would splutter then fire. The one way valve has fix it no problems.

dolly06
I'm new, be nice!

Re: NM V6 hard to start?

Unread post by dolly06 » February 8th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Hi all sorry to comment on a old thread but I have the same problem. So just wondering where to place the one way valve so I can fix mine.
Also what kind of one way valve be ok? Would a 5 psi one work?

Return to “Pajero”