Help please with chassis bush

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Help please with chassis bush

Unread post by Muckinhell » January 17th, 2010, 7:12 pm

I spent today replacing the passanger side leaf spring bushes on my s3 ute. the bushes came out of the chassis and leaf springs and the bushes went back into the leaf springs fine but the chassis bush isnt playing the game. Its almost in with about 15ml to go and i cant get the rest of it in. its starting to mushroom on the end instead of moving. I started with it being in the freezer for couple hours and greesed up and it went ok for 1st half, so i had a break and worked on the spring bushes while some crc soaked in and then got back to it for it to end up where it is now. Now i dont want to cut it out of course so any suggestion on getting the rest of the way in would be appreciated.

I was using the same size socket to hammer it in with but it was getting difficult to hold it on and get enoupgh swing on the hammer.
thanks in advance.
[align=center](80 series Poverty pack 1HZ TDI.)[/align]

drifter49
Been here a while

Unread post by drifter49 » January 18th, 2010, 11:52 am

Muckinhell wrote:I spent today replacing the passanger side leaf spring bushes on my s3 ute. the bushes came out of the chassis and leaf springs and the bushes went back into the leaf springs fine but the chassis bush isnt playing the game. Its almost in with about 15ml to go and i cant get the rest of it in. its starting to mushroom on the end instead of moving. I started with it being in the freezer for couple hours and greesed up and it went ok for 1st half, so i had a break and worked on the spring bushes while some crc soaked in and then got back to it for it to end up where it is now. Now i dont want to cut it out of course so any suggestion on getting the rest of the way in would be appreciated.

I was using the same size socket to hammer it in with but it was getting difficult to hold it on and get enoupgh swing on the hammer.
thanks in advance.

If the end has started to mushroom then I suspect you will have to bash it out and get a new one. I always used to use a HT nut and bolt of the largest diameter that will pass through the eye of the bush and use a socket of same size as bush as you are doing on the bush and another slighly larger socket on the chassis side. Use plenty of grease on the bush and on the thread and use the bolt to draw the bush into place - using some moderate hammer blows to help if required. Ordinary mild steel or stainless steel threaded rod wont work as the thread will fail under the considerable force required. Make sure the bore in the chassis is free of burrs and rust before u start
BT50 Single cab

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Unread post by Muckinhell » January 18th, 2010, 6:02 pm

ill deff be trying that at some stage but as it stands i just cut the new one out and am looking to replace with poly units. thanks for the reply and any suggestions on poly bushes be great too , for when i finally get them.

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » January 18th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Original (rubber) are a much better option for any Rover and I'd bash the mushroom out and clean up the hole with emery and knock in a new one as already said with anti seize or similar.

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Unread post by Muckinhell » January 18th, 2010, 7:57 pm

i think the hole is a little out of round due to the previous rubber being worn right through and the inner sleeve sitting on the outer for some time, but anyway i would like to go the originals but i doubt i would end up owning it long enoupgh to be a problem...if the leaf bushes are original then i will have 2/3rds the ride anyway. fingers crossed and few people been using poly bushes on theirs from aulro sight and lasting over 10 years no worries.

Return to “Series Landy”