Newbie needing advice!!!

DDimmock
I'm new, be nice!

Newbie needing advice!!!

Unread post by DDimmock » September 2nd, 2010, 7:33 am

I am completely new to the whole 4WD thing have the opportunity get my hands on a defender 110 1995. So what I need to know are the pros and cons - what to look out for when buying one and what is the price range????

Any advance much much appreciated
Dean

mac1cruz
Avid Poster

Unread post by mac1cruz » September 2nd, 2010, 5:57 pm

You will get more info over here mate, not that there's anything wrong with the 4wd action forum.You'll just get more/quicker answers

Australian Land Rover Owners

Yorkshire_Jon2
Here and there

Re: Newbie needing advice!!!

Unread post by Yorkshire_Jon2 » November 21st, 2012, 2:25 pm

DDimmock wrote:I am completely new to the whole 4WD thing have the opportunity get my hands on a defender 110 1995. So what I need to know are the pros and cons - what to look out for when buying one and what is the price range????

Any advance much much appreciated
Dean
Dean,
A 1995 should have a 300Tdi engine. 2.5L, 4 Cylinder Turbo Diesel with a 5 speed manual gearbox & next to no electronics to fail.

If its been looked after it will drive nicely, not make any strange bangs and clonks when driving and go forever!

When test driving, in 3rd or 4th, take your foot of the gas and then back on again, you will feel a bit of slop in the transmission, but it shouldnt be alarming.

If you buy it, keep it serviced and you be good for a long while to come!

So long as your less than 6ft tall or 3 feet wide you should also fit in it without problems.

If your new to Defender's chances are it will feel and sound like a tractor to you and you will be amazed how close you sit to the drivers window. They are very basic, reliable and immensley addictive.

There are more powerful motors out there (in non-land rovers).
There are faster motors out there
There are more comfortable motors out there

BUT, there's nothing out there like a Defender!

Pro's - There are heaps
Con's - There are none... I think I may be a bit biassed:)

First thing to do is jump in it and drive it for a while. If you dont hate it, you'll grow to love them!

hth,
Jon
R
Jon

Return to “Defender / County”