Help me with this descision PLEASE

Patrolling Paddy
Part of the furniture

Help me with this descision PLEASE

Unread post by Patrolling Paddy » February 8th, 2010, 5:32 am

Hi guy's

As you may or may not know I currently drive a modded Patrol ute, but am looking for a change as I had it for 10 years now.

My old man had a series 1 shorty and a series 3 wagon when I was still at home in my younger days and I have a bit of a soft spot for the good ol Landy.

Looking at maybe becoming part of the green family but would like some help to make sure I get a good pick straight up and don't regret the change.

Looking at either a 110 or a 130 TD5 crew cab, but what I would like to get your opinions on is how they drive in comparison to one another.
Does the extra 20" make for a smother ride? Does it affect off road ramp over significantly? Is it a pain to park around town?

I am currently leaning toward a 130 as I like the seperate tray and extra space but just a little unsure about such a long wheel base and how it affects it off road and of course the daily commute.

Cheers in advance to any replies.

PP
You can only work with the tool God gave you.:D

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » March 2nd, 2010, 6:59 pm

Don't know a lot about the TD5 but I have driven one with a bigger intercooler and a chip (in a 110 trayback) and I do know they can go pretty hard. I've had a TDi 130 for about 6 years and wouldn't think of getting rid of it, good economy and a GVM of 3500Kg and it crosses the Simpson on the French line comfortably at 3300Kg on 81 litres of diesel (Mt Dare to Birdsville) with a lot of side trips and playing on Big Red, not to mention towing some friends a few times. Not great to park but otherwise ok around town. Offroad and at standard height it is a match for a standard patrol. Here's a picture of it loaded on a dune near Big Red. Oh and the 130 is actually 127 inch wheelbase, maybe they thought 130 was a catchier name?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » March 3rd, 2010, 9:44 am

You should definitely drive one first as even Landy fans have to admit they are a little "ergonomically challenged" but I went from a Rangie to this Landy and didn't find it too bad. AULRO.com will have lots of info. The 130 doesn't really ride any smoother than a 110 as it's stiffer sprung in the rear.

Patrolling Paddy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Patrolling Paddy » March 7th, 2010, 10:53 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I am still undecided as to exactly what I want to do. I was thinking of getting rid of the Patrol but now I am leaning more on turning it into a comp ute and getting another daily driver.
I am keen on the 130 and would really like to get one, I just need to justify it to myself and missus to get a third 4wd, or third car for that mattter.

And the decision making continues.

PP
You can only work with the tool God gave you.:D

rangietragic
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by rangietragic » May 1st, 2010, 7:58 pm

I have a 2000 td5 130 dc and it is the most practical vehicle ive ever owned.It can be a bit of a pain to park compared to my previous rangies but its not that bad.They are a pretty basic vehicle but ooze character.Love it!:thumb:

Return to “Defender / County”