defender front drive shaft upgrade

davidlivesey
I'm new, be nice!

defender front drive shaft upgrade

Unread post by davidlivesey » April 1st, 2009, 8:05 pm

hi all hope some one can help had ome suspension fitted to my 110 it now sits 2 inches higher do i need to fit stronger unis to drive shafts or change them.
if i do does anyone know what my options are cheers.

Fender nut
Here and there

Unread post by Fender nut » April 5th, 2009, 6:53 pm

from what ive heard most vehicles can be lifted up to 2" without changing anything. however you might have to keep an eye on consumable parts (like bearings and uni) as there will be slightly more strain on these parts.

did you want a 2" lift or was that just the outcome? i put some new springs and shocks in the rear of my 110 which is 11 years old, and it now sits higher in the rear. this is only because the old ones were so buggered that they had sagged. i havnt changed the front yet so it leans forwards!
[b]Hope to see you out and about - Fender nut[/b]

Mikey0211
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mikey0211 » April 8th, 2009, 8:09 pm

You'll be fine with just a 2" lift mate.. but as fender nut says, just keep an eye on everything, the uni's will wear a little quicker but barely noticable..

I just replaced both front uni's in mine, only cost about $70 and and hr of my time.. cheap insurance i think..

davidlivesey
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by davidlivesey » April 12th, 2009, 2:11 pm

thanks fellas the ome suspension lifted it a good 2 inches allso got a whirring sound from under the bonnet wasent there before i went through some water got some sideways moement in radiator fen wonder if this could be the cause any ideas

leakovery
Here and there

Waterpump gone

Unread post by leakovery » May 5th, 2009, 6:41 am

davidlivesey wrote:thanks fellas the ome suspension lifted it a good 2 inches allso got a whirring sound from under the bonnet wasent there before i went through some water got some sideways moement in radiator fen wonder if this could be the cause any ideas

i would say its your waterpump bearings, to save a fair bit of money try gettting it from paddock spares in the uk. All parts are air mailed. It will be a lot cheaper than here. I bought a pump for my disco and it cost about 80 bucks and everywhere in darwin were i live wanted over 200.

Dont drive it untill you know its not the water pump

gecko
Getting to know the place

driveshaft

Unread post by gecko » November 5th, 2009, 9:17 am

David, just my opinion.
i put ome lift on 3yrs ago, got a whinninh noise after lift. recently i put HD 2' King springs on my def still whinning. with the weight of bullbar and winch it lifted it more than 2'. (60-70mm). then put caster corrected radius arms in, THEN BIG vibrations. uj's touching!!!!!
result is i got the double cardon from hardy spicer.
i think u will have a few more inches to go yet.
i have pics if u want

gecko

gecko
Getting to know the place

Unread post by gecko » November 5th, 2009, 10:07 am

pics of shaft, not all new just the carden joint
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yorkshire_Jon2
Here and there

Re: defender front drive shaft upgrade

Unread post by Yorkshire_Jon2 » November 21st, 2012, 2:33 pm

If its a 2007 onwards 110 then you should look to put a double cardon front shaft on as the angles are different for the TDCi drivetrain and you will get binding and premature failure.

If its pre-2007 then you may get away without changing the shaft for a DC one, but as others say your UJs will wear out quicker. Depending on the exact height there is a risk of the UJs in the standard shaft binding when articulating - this is very difficult to simulate in the garage - its not just a case of lifting the car up on one corner.

hth
J
R
Jon

Return to “Defender / County”