Help! Whats rattling!

ev0lution
Here and there

Help! Whats rattling!

Unread post by ev0lution » July 7th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Ok, so I have just purchased a 1994 300tdi Defender.

So I am well aware of the squeaks, rattles, clunks and moans from these, but I have a rattle that comes on around 50-60kmh, mainly accelerating or decelerating, and seems to only come on around that speed range. It sounds like an alloy plate or something loose, I initially thought it may have been the stone guards on the front wheels a bit loose, but after playing with them and eventually removing them the rattle is still there.

It sounds like its coming from the engine bay area, but all the banging and clanking with a rod trying to find it has proved fruitless.

Could it be in the diff or gearbox? It sounds a bit forward of the box tho. Any ideas? Its going to be the death of me if it persists!

oversite
Need to get out more

Re: Help! Whats rattling!

Unread post by oversite » July 7th, 2013, 10:54 pm

the alloy sidesteps rattle like crazy on my disco and it only starts arround 60kph?

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » July 10th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Could be the bonnet stay?

ev0lution
Here and there

Unread post by ev0lution » July 11th, 2013, 6:48 pm

Thought it was bonnet stay as the bracket had broken off, fixed that up but still there.

Found the front driveshaft flange bolts were loose, have tightened those up and appears to have fixed it for now...!

Have only managed a short test drive so far as it is now completely stripped out to rebuild as a touring machine so hopefully its sorted!

ev0lution
Here and there

Unread post by ev0lution » July 12th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Hmmm... nope. Tightened flange bolts, a slightly loose exhaust bracket, and removed stone guards but the rattle is still there.

Its typically around the 50-60km mark more predominant when decelerating.

From my ears (which are *****) it sounds like front right of the engine bay... ish...

I cant find anything obvious loose, checked gearbox and engine mounts etc. Sigh.

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » July 13th, 2013, 7:42 pm

What about the air filter and it's bracket or the aircon compressor clutch?

Return to “Defender / County”