what to look for when buying a 1998 300TDi defender ???!

SpikeJones
Here and there

what to look for when buying a 1998 300TDi defender ???!

Unread post by SpikeJones » August 26th, 2012, 12:33 am

gday guys

im looking at buying a 1998 300TDi defender

this is the information the bloke has already given me, is there anything else i should ask him

I use the defender to travel to the coal mines every week. It has not let me down and is a strong runner. It has long range tanks total of 150L. Swing out rear wheel carrier, uhf, cargo barrier, winch ARB bull bar, spotlights. This year I have fitted a reco injector pump, timing belt kit,front crank seal, new spill rail, front steering ball joints, rear discs and pads. I know the previous owner and he had the turbo and steering box recoed, he told me the head was replaced at around 200,000km. It is also fitted with a low coolant alarm which is a must with these motors. It does have a few dings but being aluminium bodied they all do. It also has a slight oil leak from the manifold gasket which is common, and a minor leak from the rear diff pinion seal, these are both minor but will be fixed prior to sale. Overall she is a good wagon

solid axle, coils all round, disc brakes all round, salisbury rear diff stronger than the newer defender diffs. will have 5 mths rego about $600 per year. uses about 9 - 10l per 100 km which is pretty good. stuff that was fixed just wear and tear.

when i do go to check it out, what are the things i should check for like common problems and known rust/corrosion areas etc.

by the way he is asking 11500 for it, i was thinking of offering around 9-10k how does that sound?

thanks a lot

Spike
2002 HZJ79R Turbo, 2" Lift, 31" Goodyear A/Ts, PTO Winch

Lowranger
Here and there

Re: what to look for when buying a 1998 300TDi defender ???!

Unread post by Lowranger » October 6th, 2012, 7:12 am

I can't believe that nobody bothered to reply to your post.
The info sounds pretty right,except the fuel figures,which I would expect to be more 10-11l per 100km.
Obviously the previous owner experienced a coolant loss and had to have the head done,because these engines last a lot longer than this without problems,and the coolant alarm IS a good investment.
Lose the "Drive hard or Drive home" attitude and the vehicle should give a long life of trouble free motoring.You don't need to drive hard in a Defender.
Things to look for would be any sign that it has been used as a mine vehicle!!!
Any rust in the firwewall,especially down near the footwells.
Oil leaks at the transfer case or gearbox.
Pay particular attention when changing from 1st to 2nd,as the synchro can show signs of wear,especially if people rush the gear changes,Defender gear changes are always slow and deliberate,unlike a sloppy racing jap box.
The price sounds pretty good,especially if it is in good nick,and will leave room to put some of the essential Defender upgrades.
Land Rover......what the Japanese aspire to be !!

SpikeJones
Here and there

Re: what to look for when buying a 1998 300TDi defender ???!

Unread post by SpikeJones » October 6th, 2012, 12:41 pm

thanks mate,

im no longer looking at buying this any more but you input was much appreciated

and the drive hard or drive home was just the motto at a 4wd club i was in one time and i though it was cool, ahahah
but i treat all my vehicles with respect

thanks again

spike
2002 HZJ79R Turbo, 2" Lift, 31" Goodyear A/Ts, PTO Winch

Return to “Defender / County”