Thoughts on new 2012 defender

242stickman
I'm new, be nice!

Thoughts on new 2012 defender

Unread post by 242stickman » December 27th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Hello everyone.

I am looking at buying the new 2012 2.2 defender soon but I have questions about realiabilty....

Does anyone know much about defenders and if they are a realiable 4wd to choose ?

Thanks

keriksen
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Thoughts on new 2012 defender

Unread post by keriksen » December 28th, 2011, 10:28 am

Have a look at http://www.aulro.com ( Aussie Landrover Forum) or http://www.defender2.net/forum/ (British Forum).
This is a current topic on Defender2.
I have already ordered my new 110, and expect deliver mid January, so looking forward to it.
Also remember that over 70% of all Landrovers ever built are still running....
It is also the best, straight out of the showroom 4wd. Needs nothing done to it to go bush....

Kris

Bonesetter
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Bonesetter » January 18th, 2012, 6:27 pm

I pick up my 2012 Defender 90 on Friday. The one i test drove was great but will give you an update once i take it out.

Cheers

keriksen
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by keriksen » January 18th, 2012, 7:28 pm

I have had mine for 6 days now and I love it.

Bonesetter
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Bonesetter » February 19th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Had my 90 for just over 3000km's now. First one i have owned and the only other ones i have driven have been Army ones. Has been great so far. Plenty of grunt, fun to drive and very capable off road. Gets my thumbs up!

browndogrider
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by browndogrider » July 18th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Well, Ive got the preceeding model - a 2010 puma with 70,000kms on it. Had it since new. Its a bit hard to ask how reliable the new model is - because its only new!

The Defender is as reliable as any other 4WD. The new 2.2ltr will be the same I'm sure.

The only consideration to think about, is that the Defender unlike any other 4WD you migh come accross - is hand built. So when you buy a new one, you need to spend some time with a set of spanners, checking it over and under it to ensure that averything is complete and tightened. In the fist week of owning mine, I found a loose sway bar connecting bolt,and a loose rear brake cover. There were a couple of other trim items that were also loose. You dont tend to get these problems from assembly line builds. I have found mine completly reliable, and a real joy off road. Remember - Landrover Defender has always had to live with the poor reputation of older models. Land Rover where producing the Defender before most vehicle producers were even thinking about building 4WDS.

My advice - if you are the type that is not really interested how your 4wd is put together, if you want assembly line precision, if you don't do a lot of 4wding, then don't get one! You might prefer a Prado or a Pajero. These vehicles suit the road a whole lot better, with road going independant suspension etc. (Don't want to get into a war here, as both these mentioned vehicles are potentially extremely capable) - though the Defender "out of the box" is about as pure off road as you can get - so on the tar there will always be some compromise.

Return to “Defender / County”