Landrover Defender - should I or shouldn't I buy one?

MarkIIa
Here and there

Re: Landrover Defender - should I or shouldn't I buy one?

Unread post by MarkIIa » September 3rd, 2014, 1:36 pm

The Cruiser dual cab ute is about the size of a 130, so you aren't quite comparing apples with apples.
The 110 dual cab has a relatively small tub so depending how you intend using it you may not find it is big enough. The 130 on the other hand...the tub is huge.

There is an enormous variety of aftermarket modifications and accessories available for Defenders, mostly sourced form the UK either directly or through the local retailers. Prices are pretty cheap,

Fuel economy on the Defender is better than the cruiser. Noise from the loud pedal of the cruiser is better than that from the Defender.
Both engines need clean fuel. Both need servicing well. The Toyota will most likely survive better if proper maintenance is not your thing.. Engine abuse is a risk each takes differently I guess.

Do you value a comfortable ride? Get the Defender. Supple coil springs. None of those cart springs that were superceded in the mid 1980s.

How big a person are you? The Defender driving position is not so comfortable for fat and/or tall buggers apparently. At 5'10 and 70kg I find it more comfortable than my Dad's old Troopy, but that wouldn't be difficult. British ergonomics feel strange at first but are actually pretty damn good for comfort and vehicle control. The seating position high and close to the door makes wheel placement a breeze.

If you break down in the outback, major parts for either brand have to be airfreighted in. More people will work on a Toyota but most Defender owners are of the right mindset to want to understand how their car works and want to work on their own car.

You'll never forget to lock the hubs in on a Defender, it is constant 4WD, what a great system!

As you mentioned, a good reason to not get the Toyota is the Toyota Tax!

Indy Hepburn
Need to get out more

Unread post by Indy Hepburn » September 16th, 2014, 5:31 pm

What is the Low range like in a Defender 300Tdi or a Perentie Ex army 110..compared to say a GQ or 80 series?

What's their crawl ratio like?
if in doubt more right foot!

MarkIIa
Here and there

Unread post by MarkIIa » September 18th, 2014, 9:55 am

Dude, you're all grown up at age 23 now and have the ability to string a sentence together, so have a plug at google and you may not have to ask the same questions time after time across multiple forums and facebook!

The Ex Army 110 has something like 49:1 low range 1st, sixbies are even deeper due to different diff ratio, the 300tdi is a bit shallower, somewhere around 43:1 by memory. That is because the LT95 has a lower first gear than the R380, low range transfer ratios are the same.
The LT230 and LT95 in the 110s have a low range of 3.32:1, a GQ Patrol's low range is around 2:1, an 80 Series low range is around 2.5:1. That should give you some idea of why Mark's Adapters sell so many low range upgrade kits for Toyotas and Nissans, and why you don't often hear about low range upgrade kits for Landies (MD did two ratios for the LT230)

For Landy ratios, go here and play:
http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk ... _calc.html

For Cruiser and Patrol ratios, see Google.

Return to “Defender / County”