Landrover Defender - should I or shouldn't I buy one?

justaguy
Here and there

Re: Landrover Defender - should I or shouldn't I buy one?

Unread post by justaguy » November 30th, 2011, 7:06 pm

To be honest...

I know as much about them as castrating a duck......

But I did know essentially there was a TDI, TD5, and the new Puma (ford engine)... I red some of the specs and from what I can see they could not make the TC/ABS work with the load carrying capacity of the 130 thats why its only on the 110.

I am not quite sure how the center diff lock actually works to make it behave like having both diffs locked? and At this stage I am a complete blank canvas.. but probably second hand and Given I think that motors evolve and get better as well as I know about enough mechanicallyto tell the where the engine is, and where the fuel goes I reken it does not matter too much if need to be able to fix it. What I do currently is carry heaps of spares includuing and all the tools to fix it, than if it breaks and someone who is more mechanically minded come along we have half a chance

I am basically an open book and a die hard Toyota man but I have been sucked in enough to think seriously about that next purchase and that I am leaning toward that defender 130

I am open to be educated

Cheers

Tim

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » November 30th, 2011, 8:10 pm

justaguy wrote:I am not quite sure how the center diff lock actually works to make it behave like having both diffs locked?
Tim the Centre Diff Lock only works on the centre diff not the axle diffs - exactly the same as it does on a awd Toyota 80, 100 and 200 series.

Garry

justaguy
Here and there

Unread post by justaguy » December 1st, 2011, 7:33 pm

thanks all...

A couple of Utube video's I thought were quite unbiased and a good apraisal of both LC and LR for those interested...

( part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptiE501ZdwM. - YouTube

(Part 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMhOhT5nwZk. - YouTube

Defender 110 SVX
Carsguide Road Test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdI3F-WL ... re=related - YouTube

Land Rover Defender in Iceland / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn4h9gMA ... 0CC5C5705- YouTube

Turn the music off, my LC could not do this stuff but I probably would not have the courage to try som of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9BEqMnY ... e=related- YouTube

cewilson
Been here a while

Unread post by cewilson » December 7th, 2011, 9:47 pm

If you aren't mechanically minded, then think twice about a Defender. As much as I love them dearly, it is a lot easier if you can do your own work. It is a great vehicle to break your teeth on, as much of it is basic mechanics which is good for DIY.

Have a look on www.aulro.com

Cheers
Chris

Darknight
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Darknight » December 10th, 2011, 12:06 am

cewilson wrote: It is a great vehicle to break your teeth on, as much of it is basic mechanics which is good for DIY.

Cheers
Chris
Just spent most of the morning getting the gearbox ready to come out of my 110 (predecessor to the defender) a job I had been procrastinating and putting off for quiet some time. I thought old ford sixes and holden reds were easy the 110 is just as easy if not easier!

BTW don't worry about the gearboxes in the newer ones they are stronger and we don't have Jaguar Rover Australia putting 3tonne Isuzu truck motors in front of gearboxes Landrover never imagined would be attached to such a lump.

Craws
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Craws » January 16th, 2012, 10:34 pm

I have a 2005 TD5 90 and it has been a fabulous car. Just got back from a trip up north where we were covering at least 600 k's at day and the car performed beautifully. Nice upright seating position and responses well on and off road. Couple of draw backs the right foot gets somewhat stiff with no C/C and the right arm can be a bit cramped without the window down. At 6 ft I feel that I'm at the very limit of the comfortable seating position. Also the A/C on my model is not flash and is about as effective as having someone blowing hot air over you.

With these things in mind I wouldn't go back to the Landcruisers that I had beforehand. There is something ruggered and fun about driving the Defender that you don't get with the Jap models. I would recommend one any day.

cewilson
Been here a while

Unread post by cewilson » January 17th, 2012, 8:40 pm

To the poster above (sorry I can't see usernames at the moment) there is a fix for the seating position which can help. Google 'Mulgo' and it should come up with a Landrover parts store here in Australia. He is a regular on www.aulro.com who makes (amongst other stuff) seat rails to suit the Defender.

This allows the seat to move further back than what it currently does, and can rectify the seating position so some people. Might be worth a look anyway.

Cheers
Chris

ijnib
Here and there

Unread post by ijnib » May 30th, 2012, 9:41 am

Gday all,
I too have been a toyota loyalist for many years,but i am currently looking at purchasing a 2003 Landrover Defender TD5 130 Automatic with gas injection.I have no knowledge or experience with these vehicles, and i am hoping someone can share their information with me.I must add this vehicle appears in excellent condition with under 100,000 on the clock. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » May 30th, 2012, 7:55 pm

Well for starters the Defender never came out with an auto so this is a modified vehicle - so just make sure the conversion has been done properly and is certified etc. The TD5 is a good engine and can be made to perform a lot better with minimal outlay.

Garry

ijnib
Here and there

Unread post by ijnib » May 30th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Gday Garry,
Thanks for the reply.I have found the company who did the auto mod,and the gear box they used was a ZF/4HP22.All seems well done and in excellent condition.In your opinion what are the best mods to do to get the best out of this model, and what can you share about the gas injection.
Thanks Charlie

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » May 30th, 2012, 8:57 pm

I know nothing of gas injection - I would not get it done myself but if it is already there then why not. The TD5 responds well to computer chipping and a larger intercooler.

Mods are the usual 4wd accessories to suit your needs. They are pretty reliable - if you are doing hard core stuff with a bit of load you might want to look a upgraded axles and hub flanges but only if you need too.

Landies come pretty well set up off the showroom floor and many of the must have mods on other vehicles are not needed. If you get it I would start running it and find out what you need, rather that running out and getting stuff because the jappers have them.

Garry

dhc4ever
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dhc4ever » September 18th, 2012, 7:33 pm

My advise,
Go and drive a few, its not like any of them are rare.
And see if they suit you.
They are different, but as they've been around in 1 form or another for 50 odd years they're doing something right.
So if you fit in one and find it ticks all your boxes buy one, just dont expect it to be a patrol or cruiser.

scrubnut
Here and there

Unread post by scrubnut » October 25th, 2012, 9:11 pm

As it has been said in previous posts. Try one and see if it fits? They are defiantly an acquired taste. I drove three other brands of 4wd for many years before I bought my Defender. I got bitten and I wouldn’t have it any other way. You’ll know what in mean when you get the ‘Defender Wave’.
Good luck

Indy Hepburn
Need to get out more

Unread post by Indy Hepburn » January 31st, 2013, 12:41 pm

Psimpson7 wrote:TDI up to 98
TD5 99-06
Puma 07 on

TDI: reliable, very good on fuel, simple, reliable (although not that nice to work on IMO), slow, but can be improved with a fuel pump tweak and intercooler upgrade. shoudl do 9l/100. have a timing belt. did I mention very good on fuel!

TD5: almost as good on fuel (10l/100 likely). more powerful standard. can be chipped to produce a lot more power. Also reliable, but they are Electronically controlled with Electronic Unit injectors. Still very simple really. IMO nicer to work on than a TDI for most jobs. if you get one without ABS/Traction control the only electronics are the engine sensors. Most sensors if they fail dont stop them, and they dont seem to fail very often. Timing chain not belt. Need to be serviced properly.

Puma: current - whole car is a lot more complicated in general.

Overall condition really is more important than the engine specifics. The TD5's have the last Suffix K and Suffix L R380 manual gearbox and the latest version of the LT230 transfer case which are better than the earlier ones on the TDI's

Upto 2002 have the Slaisbury rear diff (Dana 60 basically)

The Puma has a 6 spd manual, but the same LT230 transfer case.
So in other words the TD5 being electronically controlled would cost more to repair injector pump and replace injectors..than a 200 or 300 Tdi :confused:

Al Man
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Al Man » August 26th, 2014, 2:49 pm

I'm also looking at upgrading from my current vehicles (2010 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon & Holden VZ ute) to a double/crew cab ute and am eyeing off either a Landrover Defender 110 CCHCPU or a Toyota Land Cruiser double cab ute.
Apart from a $20,000 price difference why should I get a defender over cruiser?
The reason for these 2 options is basically that these 2 seem to be the only capable options that match my jeep and are utes.

Return to “Defender / County”