Landrover Defender - should I or shouldn't I buy one?

GQconvert
Been here a while

Landrover Defender - should I or shouldn't I buy one?

Unread post by GQconvert » July 16th, 2011, 3:28 pm

G'day,
I currently own a Nissan GQ Patrol and can't fault it, very reliable (which is of utmost importance) but have lately considered a change. The Defender always gets my attention but it's had a bad rap over the years in some circles.
So, should I get one bearing in mind that I don't want to spend over about 20 grand, want reliability, want something pretty comfy, economical and heaps of room even in the back seat leg area?
Can anyone tell me if i'll be making a big mistake or will I be a convert to the world of the Landrover???
And, if I did get one, which year and what engine type?

Please help me!!!

Cheers,
Simon. :)
[font=Arial Black][size=100][color=darkred]GQconvert[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial Black][color=#8b0000]'92GQTi, LPG, custom draws, 2' lift, for touring and camping:drink: [/color][/font]

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Re: Landrover Defender - should I or shouldn't I buy one?

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » July 16th, 2011, 3:55 pm

I have only ever driven 1 defender before, a RAAF dual cab with the TD5 engine I think. Probably around 2004 'ish vintage.
From what I recall, if 'comfy' is a pre-requisite for you, I would probably recommend that you look for a different vehicle!
They are a bare bones workhorse and are no doubt as 'tough as nails', but comfortable and quiet they are not....
Cheers, Dan.
2004 NP DiD GLX Pajero. ARB Bullbar, Airtec Snorkel, GME UHF, Dual Batt system, Bushskinz Sliders, & underbody guards, Lovells raised HD springs & Bilstein shocks & a Cavalier camper!

GQconvert
Been here a while

Unread post by GQconvert » July 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Should I add that I am a former boilermaker/shipwright who loves tinkering and making my truck better by adding home made improvements to suit my own purpose. The attaction of the Landy is that the only other truck on the market is a TOYOTA troupie that can be modified in this way, but they don't have the fuel economy of the Defender...

More tips please....

Cheers,
Simon (still loveing my GQ at this point)......

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Unread post by Muckinhell » July 16th, 2011, 8:05 pm

well if your going a defender go the 300tdi be the best bet up to 98 i think was the last one thereabouts. very rugged and reliable with the right treatment of course. anything after that is going computer controlled etc i believe.

MarkIIa
Here and there

Unread post by MarkIIa » July 17th, 2011, 12:05 pm

There's two schools of comfort...one is sophistication, soft cushions and mod cons, the other is basic ergonomics.
Defenders don't have stereo controls on the steering wheel, or heated, electrically adjusting seats with memorised positions for different drivers.
What they do have is an ergonomically correct seating position. You sit upright, and crawling out of any other vehicle, particularly low cars, it feels very strange at first. But after 600km of driving, being able to walk without aching is the best comfort going.

My 26 year old, $4000 110 has been abused and requires a fair bit of work, but my 15 year old corolla needed greater rehabilitation before I gave it away!

GQconvert
Been here a while

Unread post by GQconvert » July 17th, 2011, 2:43 pm

Can anyone tell me about the 4cyl 2.5 litre wagons, around 1998 or so? Are they reliable, sluggish, economical etc? Any any inherant problems?
Cheers

Psimpson7

Unread post by Psimpson7 » July 17th, 2011, 4:40 pm

TDI up to 98
TD5 99-06
Puma 07 on

TDI: reliable, very good on fuel, simple, reliable (although not that nice to work on IMO), slow, but can be improved with a fuel pump tweak and intercooler upgrade. shoudl do 9l/100. have a timing belt. did I mention very good on fuel!

TD5: almost as good on fuel (10l/100 likely). more powerful standard. can be chipped to produce a lot more power. Also reliable, but they are Electronically controlled with Electronic Unit injectors. Still very simple really. IMO nicer to work on than a TDI for most jobs. if you get one without ABS/Traction control the only electronics are the engine sensors. Most sensors if they fail dont stop them, and they dont seem to fail very often. Timing chain not belt. Need to be serviced properly.

Puma: current - whole car is a lot more complicated in general.

Overall condition really is more important than the engine specifics. The TD5's have the last Suffix K and Suffix L R380 manual gearbox and the latest version of the LT230 transfer case which are better than the earlier ones on the TDI's

Upto 2002 have the Slaisbury rear diff (Dana 60 basically)

The Puma has a 6 spd manual, but the same LT230 transfer case.

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » July 17th, 2011, 5:55 pm

I've had a 95 (Tdi) dualcab for about 8 years and it's never let me down, though I make sure I do the maintenance. Rovers are cheap to own if you do your own maintenance (sounds like that's your intention) as mechanics don't seem to like them. Pretty much any job can be done at home, I've changed clutch, timing belt, pulled down the transfer to inspect it and replace seals (before one of the Simpson crossings I've done in it). I agree with Mark 11a about the seating, I don't find mine particularly comfy but I can step out of mine after 10 hours and still walk.

tom1809
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by tom1809 » August 18th, 2011, 4:32 pm

After owning my defender for 10 months now I can agree with every one else on it, yes there have been moments when things have gone wrong and reliability questionable but no matter whnat it has always made it home, even on 3 cylinders with the 4th having a bent con rod, fuel economy depends on the service, checking valve clearances, fuel filters, oil etc..... I get 30mpg out of my 200tdi. As for comfortable you can make them really to your own specifications and swap and change seats till you find something you like, just remember the steering wheel isn't adjustable.

Tom

T1ASLAV
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by T1ASLAV » August 24th, 2011, 9:09 pm

I have a TD5 defender and find it really good off road and not to bad on road, have modified it quite a bit and found it to be pretty reliable with the added bonus that you can tinker with it without to many dramas.

Have taken the family all through the Kimberly and from Darwin down to camberra with a lot of side trips on the way down without dramas - I find the driving position fine and am pretty tall even though the right arm clearance on the window is crap!!

Overall the reliability issues that many carry on with are over inflated, mine has only broken when I have been slack with the maintenance or trashed the car through my own ordeals lack of ability.

Good luck with your descision.

damolux
Getting to know the place

Unread post by damolux » August 29th, 2011, 7:33 am

Bernie! Lack of ability? Come on now!

T1ASLAV
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by T1ASLAV » September 2nd, 2011, 9:26 am

Ha I maintain that it is me butting off mote than I can chew than the car lacking capability- must get confused with the whole Afv thing sometimes!! :)

scrubnut
Here and there

Unread post by scrubnut » September 13th, 2011, 8:33 am

20k is not going to get you much ordinarily in a mid to late model Defender. A good second hand one will cost you a bit more. Maintenance is the key, one that has been looked after will serve you well, one that hasn’t will bit you and leave a bad taste in your month and a hole in your wallet. Troll the many dedicated Land Rover sites and make an informed decision. I’d hate to see someone that wants one, only to get browned off by a dodge vehicle.
Good luck and happy hunting. :D
Craig

justaguy
Here and there

Unread post by justaguy » November 30th, 2011, 2:19 pm

OK all,

I have always owned Toyota's and have a Middy FJ73 never owned anything else onto my 6th toyota and still have my original cruiser and I am considering the 130.... I have read the posts, looked at Utube and I think the reviews have been preety unbiased. There are some great comparisons between LC VS LR and I am considering the switch. I should say I joined the AULR site today and started trolling though the posts...

What I love:
The rugged aged interia reminds me of the LC 70 serries style which I love and have

I see the 130 does not have Traction control and ABS like the 110... is there a make model yr better than any other. There have been some positive reports with regard to Chips and After market upgrades just to get a little more out of the Donk, but considering you dont need to do a suspention lift and lockers just to take it off road compared to the base model LR that money is well worth being spent on the donk IMHO

any thoughts?

Psimpson7

Unread post by Psimpson7 » November 30th, 2011, 3:40 pm

What year are you looking at. New? or a second hand - if second hand, tdi/td5/puma? There are differences between the years which can make a difference.

Return to “Defender / County”