300 tdi to isuzu-4bd1t

aussiedingbat
Been here a while

300 tdi to isuzu-4bd1t

Unread post by aussiedingbat » April 17th, 2011, 4:37 pm

hi.
just wondering if you need engeneers cert for this swap??
the military runs this engine in the same vehicle i believe, but the civilian version only has the 300 tdi.
gunna have it coupled to the gearbox and trans from a 79 series cruiser, and convert the front hubs to part time..

aussiedingbat
Been here a while

Re: 300 tdi to isuzu-4bd1t

Unread post by aussiedingbat » April 17th, 2011, 5:37 pm

and do i need to upgrade the brakes etc.?

MarkIIa
Here and there

Unread post by MarkIIa » April 17th, 2011, 7:21 pm

Pretty sure you would need an engineers cert if you are changing engine types, particularly since you'll be increasing displacement by 1.4 litres.
The naturally aspirated Isuzu 4BD1 engine was available between 1985 and late 1989 from the Rover dealership in civillilan 110s, before the name change to Defender and engine change to 200tdi then 300tdi etc. I have an 85 model with the 4BD1.
Standard, the Isuzu powered 110s (often referred to as Counties in Aus) had disc front and drum rear, going to disc rear is usually considered an upgrade. Keep the discs as they are and they will do the job well.
Converting to part time 4wd is often considered a downgrade in a coil sprung Land Rover, and is pretty damn rare, for that reason.
If you have a look on AULRO.com, scroll down to the Isuzu Landy Enthusiast section you will find plenty more information, and also info on using Isuzu gearboxes couple to an LT230 transfer. That'd be about the most robust conversion you could do.

aussiedingbat
Been here a while

Unread post by aussiedingbat » April 17th, 2011, 7:54 pm

thankyou mark.
from what ive read, the military were not keen on the tdi, they stayed with the isusu engine but went to the turbo, and ran with it till 96
this being said i figured engineers shouldnt be an issue cos the engine was one that they fitted to the vehicle (albeit the military version)...
the engine is a 96 also so the environmental crap should be to the relevent standard..

went the cruiser box for the relative ease of getting parts in the bush if i need them..
and the cruiser is part time so the conversion follows on from that.
but i figure it should be of benifit for fuel consumption and wear on the long hwy drives between tracks.

MarkIIa
Here and there

Unread post by MarkIIa » April 18th, 2011, 12:05 am

The Brit Army uses 300tdi Defenders, can't be too bad, its just the Aussies already had better so kept with it.
I don't want to tell you what to do as i'm relatively inexperienced, but if you are breaking boxes you must be pushing things pretty damn hard or not maintaining it enough. In a Rover you'll destroy your axles, CVs and front diff long before the LT95 gearbox that the 4BD1 is best suited to is damaged. The LT95 is the box the army uses btw. For a conversion, the Isuzu box would be best option though. Mine does 110km/h without fuss with the LT95 box and 33s, I haven't pushed it further. Awesome low range too.

If you are in the bush and something serious goes wrong, wouldn't it be just as quick for Rover to air freight a part to you as Toyota? Not like Toyota has vast spares warehouses at every dealership. LT95 parts are fairly easy to get from LR I understand-since they still have to supply spares for the army, or the multiple aftermarket importers every capital city has.
About the part time 4wd, take your front driveshaft off, lock the centre diff and see how it handles, give it a whirl and see if it suits your driving style. I don't know if there'll be a difference or not, just thinking aloud...

Darknight
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Darknight » August 21st, 2011, 5:34 pm

aussiedingbat wrote:thankyou mark.
from what ive read, the military were not keen on the tdi, they stayed with the isusu engine but went to the turbo, and ran with it till 96
this being said i figured engineers shouldnt be an issue cos the engine was one that they fitted to the vehicle (albeit the military version)...
the engine is a 96 also so the environmental crap should be to the relevent standard..

went the cruiser box for the relative ease of getting parts in the bush if i need them..
and the cruiser is part time so the conversion follows on from that.
but i figure it should be of benifit for fuel consumption and wear on the long hwy drives between tracks.
The ADf had no new Perenties (ADF landrover) delivered after 1992 the ones you see running around presently are the original batch, they did buy some 300TDI wagons for general duties (which have come up for auction now BTW). The only rover the 4BD1T was fitted too was the 6by6 version again for the ADF. Not sure about the choice of a cruiser box I'd do some research some of them aren't everything they are cracked up to be especially latter ones from the 1hZ 78's. You'll also have to be a little careful about the environmental standards as often trucks don't have to meet the same regs as passenger cars.

Lowranger
Here and there

Unread post by Lowranger » September 12th, 2011, 4:22 pm

One thing you will do by fitting the Japanese G/box and Transfer is reducing the ability of the vehicle offroad,as it will not have the same low range that the Landie has,unless you intend fitting crawler gears.Also the Toyo transfer will sit much lower and be vulnerable to damage.

Wayne

Return to “Defender / County”