The Big Bang

Michael4066
I'm new, be nice!

The Big Bang

Unread post by Michael4066 » March 15th, 2011, 10:16 am

I have a 1985 v8 Land Rover 110 County/Def on petrol/lpg. I'm no mechanic but I do what I can. I recently discovered that my radiator clutch fan was broken and have not been able to replace it yet. I only drive on the freeway basicly so it still doesn't overheat. Yesterday I topped up the radiator with some coolant and turned the key, almost instantly there was a big bang. I got out to check and visually there was nothing amiss. I started her up again no problems but upon taking off I found I had a significant loss of power. I drove home (20min), let it cool down and found the water level had dropped again but was not contaminated and though it was low the oil also seemed fine. So, does anyone have any big bang theories to share with me.

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Re: The Big Bang

Unread post by Muckinhell » March 15th, 2011, 5:34 pm

heater hose popped off and u lost coolant through there and it was draining onto ya spark plugs causeing limited spark to that cylinder/s causing lack of power???

Michael4066
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Michael4066 » March 15th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Nah, Muckinhell, I've isolated it now (for anyone in future), kind of embarassing actually. The "big bang" up the front was simply a back-fire (which I've never experienced up the front) and it blew a cap off the carburater manifold(?) if that's what you call it. It was a cap designed specifically for that reason. When that cap blows of the engine sucks air in through there instead of sucking fuel so the air/fuel ratio was shot. I was extremely worried though Mucky that it might be something along the lines of what you were suggesting. Thanks for your input.
Mick

Michael4066
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Michael4066 » March 15th, 2011, 9:27 pm

Must have been one of those weird coincidences with the coolant and the "big bang" timing.
Mick

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Unread post by Muckinhell » March 15th, 2011, 9:33 pm

still that water has gone somewhere?

Michael4066
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Michael4066 » March 16th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Yeah, that IS a worry. I'm not sure if when I topped it up (not running), because it was cold the water then went through the rest of the cooling system and that was it. The motor is running as smooth as ever now... I've owned two of these and it seems to be running fine. I,ll top it up again and check, if the level drops again with no noticeable leaks then I guess I can be sure I have a REAL problem. I'll keep you posted on that one. :confused:

Michael4066
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Michael4066 » March 20th, 2011, 3:25 pm

Yeah, so I've figured that out water out too now. It's a slow "pin hole" leak in the bottom of the radiator. I've actually had it for some time, every now and then I through a little bit of ground black pepper in there to seal it up. Normally the pepper just lets go and I lose ALL the water. I guess it was just about to let go again and thus the slow leak. I've been advised not to use the radiator stop leak products on the market as they clog the radiator and corode it over time. The only real solution would be to have it welded and fixed properly (expensive) so for the moment, pepper works fine.
Mick

Return to “Defender / County”