85 rangie build up on extreme budget.

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

85 rangie build up on extreme budget.

Unread post by mrbenwithag » February 22nd, 2009, 10:57 pm

after reading rockys rangie build up thread, i thought i'd better start my own.

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

Unread post by mrbenwithag » February 22nd, 2009, 11:09 pm

ok forum folleckers, introducing my 85 range rover named boris. (it came with the name and i just loved it. lol.)
bought date was 11/12/08
on purchase she sported a new radiator, new clutch, rebuilt gear box with some ratios changed (5sp) factory front bar, heyman reese tow, dual batterie system, CB radio, 2inch OME lift at front, 2inch OME in rear with 1inch spacer block, ploy air bags for towing, almost brand new 31x10.5x15 bridgestone duelers, alloy wheels, air con retrofitted (needs gas) immaculate interiour, not an ouce of rust, beautiful paint, 303,000 on the clock and 6 months rego.
all for $3.500. not bad hey.
ill post some pics of the car the previous owner sent me before purchase, and pics and info of the mods i've done on it so far.

bluLN46
Been here a while

Unread post by bluLN46 » February 23rd, 2009, 6:47 pm

Mr ben lets see some pic's
IF ITS NOT BROKEN TRY HARDER

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

Unread post by mrbenwithag » February 23rd, 2009, 8:57 pm

hush jye im gettin there. you better get your truck running by the weekend. its neva as much fun without ya man.

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

Unread post by mrbenwithag » February 23rd, 2009, 9:06 pm

you can see why as soon as i saw the pics it was sold. was so hard to keep a straight face. hahaImage
ImageImage

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

Unread post by mrbenwithag » February 23rd, 2009, 9:19 pm

this was her first outing. was running and theres bugger all decent tracks where i live so this was the only decent pic.
those duelers are definately nothing special..

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

Unread post by mrbenwithag » February 23rd, 2009, 9:32 pm

these pics were out somewhere in lake munmorah. thats my old mans 90 model rangie. it wears a 2 inch spring, 2 inch body and 33 maxxis bighorns. sounds f-ing awesome with his 3inch exhaust, no cat either.

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

Unread post by mrbenwithag » February 23rd, 2009, 9:40 pm

i got the strangest erdge to go out urban 4wdriving. this night i ended up driving up 20 odd stairs. was fun.

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

Unread post by mrbenwithag » February 23rd, 2009, 9:54 pm

ok mods time..
the first gift she received was a set of IPF spotties i had ready to put on my last truck but neva got round to it.
she also scored a home made snorkle made from pressure pipe. cost me 90 bux.
and also i got bored one night at work and made some snatch holders for the bull bar. the bueaty of them is there detachable. so cops dont get to windge at me. hehehe.

these brackets were really easy to make. if you can weld, use an anlge grinder, and use an oxy, then you can make em. or if you ask really really nicely i might be able to make you some.

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

Unread post by mrbenwithag » February 23rd, 2009, 10:00 pm

random shot

im stuck here. it sucks coz i neva get to hear the end of it.

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

Unread post by mrbenwithag » February 23rd, 2009, 11:49 pm

you know the worst part about being stuck is?
when the snatch breaks, puts a nice dent in your tailgate and shatters your rear windscreen!
this happened nearly 2months ago and i still havent fully fixed it.

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

Unread post by mrbenwithag » February 24th, 2009, 12:03 am

any body who read rockys rangie build up would member him bustin a rear diff.
i was unfortunate enough to do the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago.
but some how the crown wheel managed to get hold of a tooth from one of the spider gears and it literally tried to force the tooth threw the bottom of the diff housing.
i was bout an hour from home, so i got some gasket goo and patched it up as best i could. i got home and the next day i drained the oil and removed the tooth. i figured (and got talked into, thanks jye) that it was only one tooth. so i patched the hole as best i could and kept driving. it survived a whole days worth of 4wdriving and daily trips for bout a week. but when i was out a spot putting some wheels in the air i heard a nice large crack.
putted home, drained oil, removed a total of 9 teeth from the housing. diagnosed the problem pretty quick.
removed the tailshaft, axles and diff centre, put her in centre diff lock and whala, front wheel drive rangie whilst i organised gettin the centre done.
i ended up gettin the centre rebuilt for 2 cartons of beer. (thanks mark) its a hybrid. rangie crown wheel, S1 disco everything else.
so far holding up ok.

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

Unread post by mrbenwithag » February 24th, 2009, 12:23 am

i scored i pretty good bargain after walkin out of work.
said hi to a bloke and ended up swopping tyres with him.
he had a full set of 32x11.5x15 BFGoodrich MT's. the spaire hasnt even seen tar yet.
got em fit and balanced for 40bux too. cheering.

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

Unread post by mrbenwithag » February 24th, 2009, 12:35 am

when the lift was done by, i have no idea. some dumb bugger has put the wrong length shocks in the rear. so i basically have the same amount of flex as a shopping cart. something had to be done.
at first i just changed over the rubbers on the bottom shock mounts. that made a noticable difference. but it wasnt enough.
whilst at a metal place gettin some stuff for work, i managed to grab some 5mm 50x50 blocks. very simple mod, drill 2 holes in the block, mount the shock to the block, then the block to the mount. massive improvement. taking out the poly air bags has helped a bit too. the next problem now is coz i dont have a nice offset in the rims, when the coil leaves the housing at the top, on up travel the tyre rubs ever so nastly on the coil. will solve problem soon.
heres some before and after pics of the rear suspension in progress.
all at same spot too.

LandRover-Biohaz
Here and there

Unread post by LandRover-Biohaz » April 27th, 2010, 1:22 am

Mate you got a FOOKIIIIN good deal on Boris!! Me and my bf payed 4500 for our 86 manufacture rangie Dragonfly, nowhere near as good condition interior even though the seats have been replaced (We have arm rests =DDDD think the seats are out of an early 90's model, or at least a fully optioned model) 300,000k's after our test drive, pre dented rear tailgate from being dropped on a trailer hitch, and here come the real negatives...
We bought her from a saab and subaru service company, and about a month ago discovered she had the wrong fuel pump, it was araldyted together and leaking fuel, the passenger side mirror is busted, the passenger side window has broken and no longer opens or it wont re close, the door handle (not the opener handle) has pulled through the door, the passenger side seatbelt is broken, the tailgate struts are going out, and we have to reach through the steering column to hit the hazards... and she is stock standard for now, and for a while as being on a pension means we will have to fix everything first and put off the mods =[[[[[[[ And ours came with duellers too =[ but nowhere near new now need to replace them...

POSITIVES!!!!!!!!
ITS A RANGIE!! (he was driving a 97 pulsar *vomits*)
3.5 fuel injected
She is Ascot green =]
She uses less petrol than the 1.6 4cyl pulsar (the pulsar sat on 5000revs at 110kms)
More comfortable ride than my parents 96 disco
Fantastic gearbox and diff, had her checked by Les Richmond Auto, since the fuel pump she runs like a DREAM!
ImageImage

Our home made mod...
Added extra holes to the air filter to allow more airflow, definately increased takeoff speed =DDD
And we still havent hooked up the spotties, they came off my dads old discovery from when he crashed it, the insurance made them get replaced even though they were fine..... then we totalled it lol

And now comes the question, how did you build your snorkel? we were wanting to build one ourselves have seen a 73 with a home madey and compared to the price to buy one its a much better option and looks better would greatly appreciate any tips
I love Julian and his '86 Rangie "Drangonfly"

Return to “Range Rover”