What to do with a spare Rangie?!

Cider
Here and there

What to do with a spare Rangie?!

Unread post by Cider » February 1st, 2015, 9:42 pm

Hi all, seems I've got a 'spare' 86 Hiline. It's a smooth purring 3.5i 4-dr auto that always drew compliments from those with an ear for these things. It was my daily drive until about 4 years ago, and it has since been sitting on the farm and not run although I have kept the rego up. I now have an '08 Rodeo TD which is less loveable but a more sensible machine to keep registered.

I doubt it's worth much to sell, and I'd hate to see it go, but what else to do with it? I put HD springs in the rear and new Cooper SST's all round just before I 'retired' it, so I'm considering putting a tank in the back and making it a fire truck / general farm tug. Seems a shame to run it down though, it's still pretty straight and would scrub up ok. Should I try to swap it for a Landy?

It's got a rear steel bumper and towbar but no front bar work, although I could always fab up something simple if it's just for round the farm.

Any suggestions?!
2008 Rodeo RA LT Diesel.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Re: What to do with a spare Rangie?!

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » February 1st, 2015, 10:55 pm

well the old V8 coil sprung rangies are something I really love.

personally I would pull the cab of and turn it into some sort of mutant buggy but thats just me.

as they are a rear coil wagon, I doubt its going to be much of a firetruck, maybe offer it as a swap for any one tonner utes out there. I have turned several old hilux's into property firetrucks, using a 1000L water tank (plastice ones with steel enclosure) and a good 7-12hp firefighting pump.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » February 2nd, 2015, 2:48 pm

when I was younger, I cut up, welded up dozens of old cars to make into bush bashers. Now i hate to see a perfectly good vehicle get cut up for something that it would not be entirely suitable for after. better to see it go to a new home/ new caring owner.

Cider
Here and there

Unread post by Cider » February 2nd, 2015, 5:30 pm

Thanks guys.

I'm a bit reluctant to go down the mutant bushpig path, simply because it's EFI and sooner or later I'm gonna get probs with it that I can't solve with a bit of fencing wire and duct tape. I also don't really have the time for just 'playing' with an old motor for the sake of it. If it had a useful purpose that's a different matter.

The rear springs were super heavy duty 'expedition' type (seriously overkill, but they had sold out of the medium and I was desparate at the time) so they'd probably handle a decent load in the back. The fact that it still closes up and is weatherproof is handy too. But it isn't really the right machine for a fire truck is it?

Any ideas what these are worth these days?
2008 Rodeo RA LT Diesel.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » February 2nd, 2015, 9:30 pm

heres a few pointers:

an idea on prices; http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beenleig ... 1067620479
some nostalgia/info; http://www.range-rover-classic.com/Home ... rover-1986

you might be able to advertise it here to Range rover nuts; http://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical-cha ... rover.html
even advertise it on this forum, they make a great project for someone who loves good old British engineering

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » February 2nd, 2015, 9:44 pm

As far as firetrucks go its pretty useless, HJ75 landcruiser are in my opinion the best, but any good one tonner will do.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Return to “Range Rover”