General 1984 rangy info requested :)

A1 Mech
Part of the furniture

General 1984 rangy info requested :)

Unread post by A1 Mech » September 1st, 2012, 5:34 pm

Hey guys

have a mate who has picked up a 12/1984 ranger rover as a bit of a toy, It has had a few modifications done to it but being a toyota man I know absoultely squat about them so thought id post a few questions here. Also feel free to let me know of any potential weaknesses or faults that can or may of already occur so we can check them or can an eye out.

Its current setup is about a 3-4" coil lift, bilstein shocks, procomp rims with 34" JT2's, it is matt black with a decent steel winch bar and solid rear bar. It has a wild looking snorkel setup with a intake mod, set of tuned headers which look to merge into a single 2.25" pipe with one muffler, sounds pretty good actually.

First up

1. Am I correct in thinking this is the 3.5L all alloy carby V8 or would it be the 3.9 with basic fuel injection?

2. Obviously its a triangulated 3 link rear end of some sorts but what is the big ram looking thing that goes from the top of the axle housing to a chassis crossmember above? some form of height control?

3. It has had a electric lift pump fitted down near the tank which is controlled via a dash switch and it also has twin 12" thermos in front of the radiator which are on a dash switch also. Is this a common fix for a faulty standard pump and I assume they get hot under load?

4. Are the body panels on these models aluminium?

5. How durable are the axles, CV's, diffs, gearbox and transfer in them? It is a manual trans.

It needs a bit of TLC but should come up looking pretty tough with alot of degreaser, some rewiring and a general wash up. The engine runs beautifully and were planning to give it a full fluid, filter and plug overhaul asap.

cheers for any info

garrycol
Avid Poster

Re: General 1984 rangy info requested :)

Unread post by garrycol » September 1st, 2012, 9:14 pm

A1 Mech wrote: 1. Am I correct in thinking this is the 3.5L all alloy carby V8 or would it be the 3.9 with basic fuel injection?

Original engine was 3.5l carby

2. Obviously its a triangulated 3 link rear end of some sorts but what is the big ram looking thing that goes from the top of the axle housing to a chassis crossmember above? some form of height control?

No idea about that - maybe the Boge self levelling device

3. It has had a electric lift pump fitted down near the tank which is controlled via a dash switch and it also has twin 12" thermos in front of the radiator which are on a dash switch also. Is this a common fix for a faulty standard pump and I assume they get hot under load?

The original systems are fine - these mods are not needed for a standard vehicle

4. Are the body panels on these models aluminium?

Outer skin is aluminium - roof should be steel

5. How durable are the axles, CV's, diffs, gearbox and transfer in them? It is a manual trans.
Axles and diffs can be a weak point - if it has a 4speed gearbox then these are bullet proof and is a combined box and tfr case. If a 5 speed not as strong but good enough - the separate tfr is a tough as nails
It is these vehicles that Toyota copied to make the 80 series.

Return to “Range Rover”