Any thoughts on this 1981 Range Rover?

Tom_Newcomb
I'm new, be nice!

Any thoughts on this 1981 Range Rover?

Unread post by Tom_Newcomb » June 6th, 2012, 11:55 am

Hey guys im new to 4wding and only 18 years old, so don't have much money. Anyway, i found an ad for a 1981 rangie with 3 inch lift and decent suspension for only $1800. Any thoughts?

madone69
Here and there

Re: Any thoughts on this 1981 Range Rover?

Unread post by madone69 » June 18th, 2012, 8:05 pm

hi i got a 93 range rover for first 4wd is great starter vehicle has surprised me where she has got me only problem is when you break something which you will lol you pay a lot more for parts and generally harder to find then something like patrol or crusier.

Agrojnr
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Agrojnr » July 12th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Give it a very good check over even if it means taking a couple of mates with ya

Parts can be cheap if you know where to look and don't mind waiting (not in aus)

With 3" lift it should handle like a pig and the front swivals will wear out in no time also so will the rest of the suspension

Ive got a 89 auto with 2" lift and running 32" all I will be doing is a 2" body and 33s and thats about it I paid $900 for mine

Adam

flyfisher
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by flyfisher » July 18th, 2012, 10:30 pm

For Rangie parts ebay is your friend.
There are many parts suppliers in UK and US but watch out for freight costs.
Service them well and they run pretty reliably.
Mine is a '96 with 270000k's and runs like a clock.

FF

tpj77
Been here a while

Unread post by tpj77 » September 22nd, 2012, 3:29 pm

On that vintage, the most annoying thing is the electrical side, lucas isn't know for being the 'prince of darkness' for nothing :twisted: Get rid of all foreign wiring that looks like it was wired up by a blind man and run relays and decent amp wires for anything that isn't stock. I wreck Rangies part time and seen my fair share of 'piggy backing' onto the loom, a recipie for disaster and plenty of those Lucas moments.

Also piss the points off and go electronic igntion, cheap option by using the later EFI distributor with the module on the side or one of those aftermarket kits (Crane Fiereball 300 is a good one, used these a couple of times, Piranah is also another one but about $2-250 to buy). The headlights I would strongly recommend upgrading with a decent loom and relay set-up, Traxide make a good kit for these (traxide.com.au) and about $130. Problem is that many items in the older 2 doors are not fused and some of the wiring is poorly insulated as well.

Trav

Return to “Range Rover”