off road tyres for the disco 3

captaincam
I'm new, be nice!

off road tyres for the disco 3

Unread post by captaincam » October 11th, 2010, 4:26 pm

Just returned from a trip to Cape York in our 2009 Disco 3. After much research went with the bridgestone duellers on 17" performance alloys. Now completed approx 6000 kms in 6 weeks on 50/50 dirt and tar and not even a chip or a nick in any of the tyres! They are great on the blacktop and minimally noiser then the std tyres previously. No noticeable loss of grip or tracktion or breaking ability on the tar. Car has been fully loaded with rhino rack etc as we are camping {no camper trailer) interested to hear from anyone with simalar experience either good or bad and anyone with a disco 3 fitted with a kaymar duel wheel holder for the pros and cons. cheers Cameron

Psimpson7

Re: off road tyres for the disco 3

Unread post by Psimpson7 » October 14th, 2010, 9:59 am

A couple of my mates run D3's with Kaymar dual wheel carriers, and they both seem really good.

The newer one (fitted in the last 9 months or so) has a much better method of holding the arms open with little struts, than the earlier one.

Nice bits of kit.

JDs
Avid Poster

Unread post by JDs » October 14th, 2010, 10:15 am

I had a pretty good run out of my Bridgestone D694's did about 80,000 kms with them and never had a puncture or anything and treated them pretty rough they were 285/75/16's only one thing was the white lettering turned to Sh#t about twelve months. I just turned them around and that fixed that.
Now I have just bought a set of Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 Ribs 315/75/16's very nice tread and a quiet tyre seem good so far! :thumb:

captaincam
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by captaincam » October 19th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Thanks for the replys, seems as though the kaymar is the way to go re tyre holder, unfortunatly they don't make a wheel / dual jerry can holder for the D3 just the single jerry can, not the end of the world. Your right about the tyre writing mine have faded already but arn't printed on the back on this particular set cheers Cam

lux45
Been here a while

Unread post by lux45 » October 29th, 2010, 7:31 pm

hey guys just wanted to highjack your thread.
my dads got a d3 with 18" rims

whats the biggest tyre he can get with the most aggressive tyre pattern for mud etc fitted on an 18 inch rim

whats the biggest tyre he can get if he drops to a 17inch rim

cheers - james
when mother nature says stop, we just lock the hubs
Luxxy build: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=117687

Dorbs
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Dorbs » October 25th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Lux45,

A question many have asked. I know there are now a few mud tyres comming out in 18s. I was looking at the new coopers S/T maxx. They have a 275/70R18, equivalent to 33 inch, they have the STT in the same size. I am not sure of the impact on the drive line or speedo. I have searched Disco3 forum in the past for alot of info on my disco. the guys there from around the world have tested almost everything I have thought of. I have not yet got serious enough about a new set of tyres to do the research.

I have just completed a trip up the oodnadatta via the flinders rangers, up to Lamberts point, across to the rock and surrounding gorges, then up to Mataranka springs for a dip. In all over 9000Km on a set of ContiCrossContact AT 255/60R18. These tyres handled all touring duties without sign of damage. I have a couple of chips out of the side wall from Victorian high country work, so will look for a tyre with a higher resistant side wall.

Hope this helps

Dorbs

Return to “Discovery III”