Buying Disco II - Centre Diff Lock

MangyWombat
Here and there

Buying Disco II - Centre Diff Lock

Unread post by MangyWombat » January 17th, 2013, 7:18 am

Hi Guys, Looks like the decision on which vehicle to buy will be the Disco II in TD5. I have been reading all the various threads on what to look for and one thing I would like some confirmation on is how do I tell if the centre diff lock on the DII is fitted or not. Is it sas simple as a transfer case lever being present or do I need to get underneath and look for something specific on the tcase?

I'll be trying to have a look at a few over the next couple of weekends to see what's what but can't do anything untill I sell the Colorado. So I will have time to look at all the things you all have recomended.

Cheers.
Wombat.
1999 Land Rover Discovery TD5

garrycol
Avid Poster

Re: Buying Disco II - Centre Diff Lock

Unread post by garrycol » January 17th, 2013, 10:08 am

Go to AULRO.COM to get all your answers.

However from 1999 to about 2001 the CDL is installed in the transfer case but there is no linkage. The actuator is on the outside of the transfer case and if you climb under with a spanner you can engage and disengage it. A actuating lever and linkages from a Disco 1 can be installed to get it working or there are aftermarket kits available.

From 2001- 2002 there is no CDL at all and you will need to either get a full kit, take the relevant parts out of another transfer case or change the transfer case and put in the lever etc

From about 2003 with the D2a - it is all there.

Many of the earlier cars have been converted so the simple test is does it have a lever or a button (aftermarket system).

WWW.AULRO.COM will be able to tell you specifically what cars (maybe Vins) have what fitted.

Garry

Captain Bog
Here and there

Unread post by Captain Bog » March 27th, 2013, 3:10 pm

Ha!

I opened the disco 2 forum to ask this exact question!! so did you have any luck with the Australian Land Rover owners club?? i'm registering with them right now to ask myself

Blake
I came, i saw, i locked the diffs

Captain Bog
Here and there

Unread post by Captain Bog » March 27th, 2013, 4:13 pm

So i was able to find this from the Australian Land Rovers Owner club

Cases with serial number with 61D, 62D, 69D & 70D do not have the internals

i believe the numbers are on the rear of the transfer case, the other way is to stick your hand up on top of the tranfer case with a 10mm spanner and see if you can engage the lock with that, if it works then you got the right transfer case, from what i've read everyone recommends to steer clear of the electrically activated centre diff lock as the elements get into the elctric motors before 12 months old and they fail, usually with the diff lock engaged, your better off retro fitting a D1 lever or 2003 D2 lever, you just remove your old lever, install the new lever with the cable in its slot on the CDL shaft, and have to trim the steel plate surround to allow it too move left and right, sounds and looks fairly easy

Narna66
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Narna66 » June 23rd, 2014, 3:29 am

My Discovery 2 has the serial number 69G does that mean it has the internals for CDL?

Return to “Discovery II”