Calling all Disco II owners!

Luke B

Calling all Disco II owners!

Unread post by Luke B » August 19th, 2011, 12:39 pm

Calling all Discovery Series II owners.....
Hi all,

Who's got a Disco that's had mechanical dramas? Alternatively, who's has their Series II (TD5 models) last the distance without a single problem?

We're currently putting together a series of articles at the magazine on various 4WD specific faults - and how owners have solved the problem themselves.

Next month we'll be working on the TD5 Series II Disco - which has a well documented list of problems. We know that there are some handy folks out there who've managed to solve problems with a bit of home-built tech, and we'd like to share this with readers.

We'd really love to hear from you, with the possibility of featuring you and your vehicle in an upcoming issue if the fix has been a good one.

Feel free to post away with your fault and fix - or private message me your contact details for a chat!

Thanks again to all for your continuing reader input!
Luke B

4WD Action writer on the run

redtd5
Here and there

Re: Calling all Disco II owners!

Unread post by redtd5 » September 1st, 2011, 12:27 am

Hi,

I have a disco 2 Td5 had a share of problems relaiting to traction controll system relativly easy fix with right tools. Drive train is brilliant except for front drive shaft that has sealed for life uni joints that do need replacing as the car nears 200,000km or has done lots of water crossings ect. The Td5 motor is great easy to mofy and with the right mods goes very hard mine will leave behind standard V8 turbo deisel cruisers.

Most worth wile investment is a nanacom wich is a computer that plugs into diagnostics port and tells you exactly what problems you have and talks to every computer on the car and allows you to reset with out going to a dealer.

Best thing about the Td5 is the 10L per 100km im getting.

Any more info or pics needed let me know

Cheers

Rocky88
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Rocky88 » September 28th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Two main things on disco 2 that I can think of

- ABS, TC , HD lights on (three amigos) - DIY on how to fix it: http://www.landroverclubvi.com/abs-mod.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Oil pump bolt on some TD5's can become loose and fall out causing engine failure. Very simple fix that can save you thousand $$$ in engine repairs DIY: http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Oil_pump_bolt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HalfMungral
Getting to know the place

Unread post by HalfMungral » November 25th, 2011, 8:40 am

I have a 1999 D2, I have owned it since 2006 and I am the third owner.
The only probs I have had are general wear and tear issues with altinator, startermotor, ect. I solved the dash lights thing and bought a Hawk eye from the UK saved about $200.
I have found that some issues are related to poor maintanance from the other owners. I love my D2 as it takes me to places that are hard to get to and its never let me down yet. I have modified my D2 for out back and high country travel as well as beach.
Go the Disco.

Diffcruncher
Here and there

Unread post by Diffcruncher » November 25th, 2011, 9:58 am

Pardon the ignorance.. Whats a "Hawk eye"? is it related to the dash lights problem?

Rocky88
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Rocky88 » December 2nd, 2011, 1:54 pm

Diffcruncher wrote:Pardon the ignorance.. Whats a "Hawk eye"? is it related to the dash lights problem?
It's a land rover diagnostic reader. Yes, you can use it to clear the dash lights because normal OBDII readers cant read land rover's ABS codes.

I agree, discos can be quite reliable with proper maintenance, especially late models. I think the magazine article was bit too harsh. No car is perfect and they all have few problems that you need to look out for. I never read in magazines about Toyota recalls like broken steering rods in 4runners and Hilux Surfs that killed several people - http://www.toyotasteeringrecall.com/investigation.html ... But I guess you can't expect anything else from LandcruiserAction.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » December 2nd, 2011, 2:03 pm

Yep typical biased crap. Was obvious the articles was going to turn out that way before it was even written - I come on the forum for a chat but never buy the mag.

Rocky88
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Rocky88 » December 3rd, 2011, 9:26 am

Yeah I don't usually buy the mag either. I only bought that one cause I know Steve from the front cover from work, otherwise I don't bother because it's all about landcruisers and patrols. I think the editors are forgetting there are other 4wd's out there.

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » December 4th, 2011, 8:29 am

I don't own a Disco, most likely never will, have owned a 300 tdi 130 for 8 years though as well as a past list of 3 series Landys and a 2 door Rangie so I like Rovers. I thought the Mag was improving there for a while but that article was pretty poorly written. I'll admit they bagged the 3 litre Patrol in another issue, but I'd like to see the same article about a V8 cruiser.

HalfMungral

Unread post by HalfMungral » December 7th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Well there are people out there that think Toyota's and Nissan's are the only vehicles that can go into 4x4, some also think that there tough, well thats ok they can think that, I have driven Land Rovers for over 35 years and just love them, I also think that there are other very good 4x4's out there as well.
The thing is with the landy is this you either love them or you dont there is no half measure when owning them, they have there share of problems like any other vehicle, but what the toyota and nissan buffs should remember is this; all the technoligy that is in there vehicles today Land Rover started designing and using since 1972, we have had coil springs and down hill decent in our rovers for over 20 years, we also have warning buzzers to tell us that our head lights are on when we turn off the ignition, how many times have you seen a toyjo with lights on in car parks and the battery going flat.
They love to bag our old girls but what they dont like is that a landy can go in and out of creeks very easily and over humps with out any lift to the suspension, in short our rovers dont need many mods to do what there meant to do and thats why militaries all around the would use them also they can be parachuted from C130's with out damage where the tojo's and nissans have collapsed suspsion and twisted chassis conponents.
They can have there tough trucks and do there articles about them,
The roads that Toyota and Nissan drive on in the out back were laid down by men who drove Land Rover and other pommy trucks 10 yrs before they hit our shores .

cheers
safe travels
mark

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » December 8th, 2011, 3:12 pm

To be fair to the author, the "report" did talk up the suspension and says the driveline is quite reliable, including the transmission, diffs and suspension. In my opinion Rover could have done better with diffs, axles and CVs, they've had ample time to beef that stuff up and haven't. I remember breaking axles in my old 2 door Rangie and thinking "what made them think that the same axle section in a 4 cylinder series 2 Landrover with 40:1 low low (which was notorious for breaking) would be okay in a v8 Rangie with 47:1 low low?" And then there's the plastic head locating dowels in the TD5. Even I have to admit that sometimes those Pommy engineers might take LSD or some other hallucinogen.

HalfMungral

Unread post by HalfMungral » December 8th, 2011, 6:58 pm

No coment didnt relise we were talking about series 2a rovers from the 60's and 70's, ill put my running gear up against any jap one's when ever some one wants to bag landies they talk about breaking axle's. that stopped in the series 3 in mid 75 when they installed the salsbry diff my friend. as for oddities one should read the government recall site to see what is falling off Landcruisers and all the other things that people dont want to know about.

2stroke
Avid Poster

Unread post by 2stroke » December 8th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Well actually they only put the salisbury in the 109", 88" was still stuck with the rover, also they took the Salisbury back out in 2002 and put a 4 pinion Rover back in (the Defender). The Rangie and disco range always had the Rover diffs, not getting the 24 spline axles till the mid '90s. I don't care about the bagging I get, the rover gear works in real world conditions, that's all that matters to me. I have to admit that the engineers at Rover could have done some things better, but then so could Toyota, Nissan, Jeep etc. My Defender happily crosses the Simpson towing the Hiluxes that we were travelling with, carries all the gear we need and is lighter than it's 3500kg GVM. Also my chassis didn't bend but one of the hiluxes did bend, made it home but was written off.

Return to “Discovery II”