True costs of disco

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

True costs of disco

Unread post by outback cruisa » July 5th, 2011, 9:07 pm

I am currently trying to decide what i want for my next project car, and atm I'm ttossing up between a Disco or a GU patrol.

At this stage I'm comparing the modding costs.
With the GU I can source a lot of it from OS for cheaper.

But I'm wondering what is the ex-pected costs for a disco?
The things I'll be looking at are along the lines of:

3" lift
maybe 1-2" body lift just depends how the spring lift goes 1st
winch bar (brand not important)
tyres maybe 33s for play set and 31 for road set
roof cage
then the usual bits and bobs like radios, speaker setup, side bars etc but a lot of that I can manage myself.

As this will be my 2nd car it won't be used daily, maybe 1-2 times a week and then to play on the weekends and do some touring once I get drawers etc fitted out.

So for the weekend bashes out bush would I be wanting the v8(with gas if I can snaggle 1) power or would the TD be a better option, especially for touring.

What sort of L/100 does the V8 v's TD average say with the above mods running 31" tyres for long distance, as currently my pathy averages about 16-18L/100 without a trailer just doing trips like to the goldie for a fuel usage comparrison.

Also any tips I need to look out for when hunting around?
The usual oil leaks is an obvious point.
I have a mate who is a mad keen landy nut, but becasue of his work he tends to be hard to even get on the phone, so he is only a last minute option for help :(
Pathy Buildup: Project Pathy

4WDAction Issue 185 Full Feature

v8dunekiller
I'm new, be nice!

Re: True costs of disco

Unread post by v8dunekiller » July 5th, 2011, 11:37 pm

hi ya mate what disco are you looking at a D1 or D2? i had a D1 with 3inch lift and 2inch spring blocks,33's on 16x8's and all the other gear on it roof rack,air locker..etc the gear was around 15g's the car cost me 3g's but now i've got a 04 D2 with the 4l v8 with 2inch lift,32's on 16x8's and all the gear that can go on to that cost me just over 35g's but its a better buy so it just depends on what you want to spend on it
cheers
Gray

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » July 6th, 2011, 4:42 am

I'll be looking at a mid-late 90's model, which I can see can be bought for are 6g, giving me between 5-6g to spend on mods at the upper end of the scale.

Also will a disco3 snorkel fit the body of a disco 1/2?

Wortho
Here and there

Unread post by Wortho » July 7th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Springs cost the same for the front and less for the rear(most heavy duty springs for GU's are more for the rear) shocks will cost the same tyres would cost the same as they are not vehicle specific :confused: you won't need to do a body lift to fit 33's but you will need flares you won't need a 3 inch lift either, 2 and flares and 33's will fit easy.
V8 will be around 15-16 on open road 18-20 round town or giving it a bit, Tdi will be around 10-12 round town and a bit less on open road(i have had mine down to 7.7l/100 on a trip).
Generally cost of parts either spares or mods will be less for a Landy than an equivelent japanese 4wd and thats coming from some one who has one not knows a bloke who talked to someone once, plus they drive very nicley and are far more comfy than most others.

v8dunekiller
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by v8dunekiller » July 7th, 2011, 10:03 pm

outback cruisa wrote:I'll be looking at a mid-late 90's model, which I can see can be bought for are 6g, giving me between 5-6g to spend on mods at the upper end of the scale.

Also will a disco3 snorkel fit the body of a disco 1/2?
no i wouldnt think the d3 snorkel will fit as its a different shape than the d1/2 when i saw my D1 and D2 side by side the snorkel looks the same it was only under the hood is abit different with the air intake but its not a biggy thou.But yeah if you get a D1 i would recomment the 3.9 not the 3.5 v8 and most of the gear is cheap to buy like spings,shocks,extended fares etc if buying a D2 i wouldnt recomment the air suspension one as ive seen them fail go for all coils.I've had alot of different 4wd's and even thou the mq patrol was fun the Disco is comfy to drive and it performs well.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » July 8th, 2011, 12:45 pm

A D3 snorkel goes on the drivers side - I believe a D1 and D2 snorkel goes on the passenger side. As well they are completely different shape - the D3 goes directly on the air intake in the front mudguard where the D1/D2 has to have a hole cut in the guard.

solly
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by solly » July 19th, 2011, 10:20 am

I have 99 D2 with a 4.6lt V8. I have fitted a 163lt L/Range tank which gives me 900 - 1000km range (if I take it a bit easy). I have worked out that my average fuel use is 15.6 L/100km.
Mines pretty standard and I would suspect that going up in tyre size would have some negative effect on fuel. My mates 100 series L/C Diesel (non turbo) gets around the same L/100km as I do in the V8 petrol. (my D2's for sale at the moment if interested, the only things you'd need to add is your lift, larger tyres and winch bar... 10k and it yours).

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » July 21st, 2011, 11:03 pm

Ive decided to buy a mates D2 99 model, he's a LR nut so I can take his word about the condition it's in.
He's already upgraded the suspension to aftermarket but only got about 1" of lift, and is throwing in a spare set of near new 33" GY wrangler MTs with it as well as the std AT tyres he runs.
I just need to sort a winch bar, snorkel and later down the track I'll upgrde to a 2" lift depending how it goes when I take it out for a play.
Its the V8 model auto

Rob W
Been here a while

Unread post by Rob W » October 10th, 2011, 12:27 pm

Make sure the cooling system is in 110% top notch condition as Land Rover didn't really go 'all-out' when it came to hot-weather testing on the D2.

Les Richmond Automotive (LRA) does a stack of trick stuff for the D2 including a suspension drop kit. Because you can't body-lift a D2 (SRS Airbags), LRA came up with a 2in suspension drop kit that has the exact same effect as a 2in body-lift.
We featured a very nicely kitted out D2 Td5 in issue 170, I suggest taking a closer look at that article because the owner really went all out.
Dealers will still charge like a wounded bull for spares so getting your genuine factory parts from some one like British Off Road would be a good idea as generally they will charge alot less. Being a 99 model means it should have the LT230T transfer case with the CDL still fitted, you just won't be able to operate it because Land Rover decided that their traction control system could take care of it. Luckily you can get a shifter from a late D2 to operate it.

Here's a couple of links for you:
http://www.lrautomotive.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - based in Melbourne
http://www.britishoffroad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - these guys are based in Forest Glen, so not too far away

Psimpson7

Unread post by Psimpson7 » November 16th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Interestingly if you apply to qld transport, you may well get approval for a body lift should you want one. on an srs equipped (ie all of them) D2

A mate has managed this with his 2000 model. Just asked and they said yes. he has it it writing. It has to go over the pits to be checked though.

Return to “Discovery II”