Disco tdi & td5 (Help)

rmacca67
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Disco tdi & td5 (Help)

Unread post by rmacca67 » April 20th, 2014, 8:15 pm

Sharky71 wrote:Gday mate sorry have'nt been on here long time. I got one but :( got rid of it and got another 80. Got sick of the price of lpg so got rid of the 80 and am now waiting to pick up a 2001 TD5, hopefully next weekend.

Steve

Hey Steve....

Old post, but I'm now looking for either a TDi or a TD5..... what did u end up with and how has it performed?

rob

Sharky71
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sharky71 » April 20th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Gday Rob I ended up with a TD5, was a great vehicle with fantastic economy and good power. I towed a 19ft 2t van to Qld and back and was very impressed with it. Unfortunately while in Qld I put the fan through the radiator on Bribie beach crossing and was deaper than I antisapated (yeah should have walked it I know). This was salt water too so I made the decition to part with it. I ended up later on getting another TD5, drove great but was a money pit. 5g in 8 months including new turbo, I got sick of putting my hand in my wallet every fortnight so parted with that too. In hindsight a TDI may have been better as there is not a lot of crappy electricals but boot size was a factor for me.

Cheers Steve

rmacca67
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by rmacca67 » April 20th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Thanks for that Steve.....

Boot size & the more modern look is also enticing me but I also very concerned about the electronics, etc..... TDi might be the go for peace of mind though.....

Sharky71
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sharky71 » April 21st, 2014, 10:26 am

I used to get around 800-900 out of a tank in the TD5, around 500 towing the van which in my opinion is very good. The electronics can do your head in but if you go the TD5 get one with service history and try to get as lower k's as you can. I've heard of people in TDI's getting well over 1000km out of a tank but they aren't quite as fast as the TD5. They really are a great vehicle in every aspect but if you get the wrong one (like my second one) they can be a money pit. Would I buy another? well yes I would but I would be more particular in choosing I think. If you do look at the TD5's although they are more expensive try and get the D2A which is I think 03 -04ish model. They had the factory centre diff lock. the 01 -02 didn't have it at all and the 99-01 had it but was not connected up in the cabin which meant if you wanted it you had to fit a later model transfer stick or make a cable to activate. With CDL they reckon they're almost unstoppable in conjuction with the traction control. I reckon take both for a drive if you can, obviously the TD5 will feel better as they have a bit more go etc. Although I now have a Toyota I am still a fan of these as they are a very nice vehicle to drive and probably a far better 4by to drive as far as comfort etc. I cant really recommend which one to get as they are both good vehicles and each has their advantages and disadvantages but get a good one and I reckon you'll be happy with it.
End of the day they are great value for money, you get a lot of 4WD for your dollars in my opinion.

Cheers mate
Steve

Return to “Discovery II”