No drive from rear wheels on my 3.9 V8 Auto series 1 Disco

Shane Pinch
I'm new, be nice!

No drive from rear wheels on my 3.9 V8 Auto series 1 Disco

Unread post by Shane Pinch » January 4th, 2013, 6:01 pm

Noticed on the weekend when I got stuck on a small hill my disco only had drive from 1 front wheel and nothing at all from the rear. Any ideas? I tried Hi and Low to no avail but could still drive around with front wheel drive !

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: No drive from rear wheels on my 3.9 V8 Auto series 1 Dis

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 4th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Bugga! When you were driving on the front wheel only, did you have the centre diff lock engaged? If so, that basically means you either have a busted centre diff/trans case; a busted drive shaft to the rear axle (not all that likely unless the centre diff lock was engaged to give you 50/50 drive split front/rear instead of the trans case centre diff sending it all to the rear, cos it was the easiest end to turn) or you have a busted rear diff or at least one busted rear axle that has pretty much stuffed the rear drive but is jammed up making it hard to turn that end.

Viscous coupled centre diffs and a few other odd things can make it worse, but generally the Centre Diff is just like a cross axle diff, and unless it's locked it should only drive the easiest end to turn - which in the case of busted drive shaft should be the rear. So unless that CDL is engaged, you really will only ever drive one end at a time!! But with no drive to the rear with it locked, the rear axles, diff, or the trans case/Centre Diff must have some troubles!! Driving it as is really isn't likely to help much at all either!

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » January 4th, 2013, 6:30 pm

The obvious answer is that you did not have the centre diff lock engaged. If it was locked then the obvious thing is a busted rear diff or rear axle. If this is the case you should have no drive at all - front or rear if you disengage the centre diff lock.

Garry

Shane Pinch
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Shane Pinch » January 4th, 2013, 7:59 pm

cheers guys I haven't put the CDL in at all yet as I have to un seize the selector, only had it in Hi and Low so maybe nothing wrong just need to free up CDL selector. Used diff lock once on Fraser Island but had to manually disengage as it was very tight through the selector. So what you are both saying is I need to put the diff lock in if I only get drive to one end ! And it is normal to lose drive totally at rear or front?
Regards Shane.

PS. rear axles and diff are all sweet, Did notice when the LH front was spinning in loose surface the rear tailshaft was trying to spin at handbrake drum looked like it was slipping but not grabbing if that makes any sense.

Muckinhell
Need to get out more

Unread post by Muckinhell » January 4th, 2013, 8:19 pm

the cdl is the same idea as the rest of 4wd people with 2wdhi-4wdhi-4wdlo, when we select 4wdhi, it locks the transfer case drive from front to back. You drive around in 4wdhi cdl unlocked wich is permanent 4wd, until at a time as you described one wheel has the least amount of traction compared to the rest, so all the power will escape through to that wheel. when you use the cdl it will lock the front drive shaft to the rear drive shaft effectivly giving you 4wdhi as the part time guys do when we select 4wd from 2wd if that makes sense.

when you approach a bit of difficult terrain you merley through the lever over to the cdl position in 4wdhi and when the section is over flick it back. or if worse terrain select 4wdlo with cdl ingaged. I used to have a 84 rangie and it would go alot of places before i needed to through the cdl in. but if in doubt i just flicked it across.

hope that helps.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 4th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Yep!! Effectively you aren't in 4WD until that CDL is engaged! And that means the trans case may only drive one end & the diff on that end may only drive one wheel!! Once the CDL is engaged, the drive is split front/rear on a 50/50 basis, and the diffs on each end will be getting some drive. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Shane Pinch
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Shane Pinch » January 5th, 2013, 7:51 am

Thanks heaps for your input guys I really appreciate it. I will free up my CDL selector and go and test it out. Must say though I am very impressed about where the disco has gone with out using the Diff Lock! Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again, Regards Shane.

Return to “Discovery I”