V8 LPG or TDi? Also - can you sleep in the back?

kd883
Here and there

V8 LPG or TDi? Also - can you sleep in the back?

Unread post by kd883 » April 27th, 2012, 9:23 am

Hi guys,

I am considering buying a Discovery 1 as an upgrade from my Suzuki Sierra, (budget is around $8K). I have been doing some research on the two engine options but can not decide which one to go for. It seems that both work out to be about the same cost to run, $/kms. Can anyone please share their wisdom or opinions?

Also - I know they are a little short, but do you think two people could sleep in the back of a D1? I am only 5'7", my girly is even shorter.

Cheers,

KD.

Kampa
I'm new, be nice!

Re: V8 LPG or TDi? Also - can you sleep in the back?

Unread post by Kampa » May 11th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Hey there.
I got a 300TDI,
regarding fuel efficiency, mine runs on diesel plus gas and in town I can go around 7 or 8l diesel/100km plus 3l gas (its one of the systems that burn diesel and gas at the same time to provide better diesel combustion)
out of town running purely on diesel, fully packed, 4 adults, 2 dogs, water and stuff on the roof and everywhere its averaging @ 13l with the occasional dune driving. (heavy offroading and sand would probably want 15 or so, never took note)
So I have to put my hand up for diesel, as my mate has a V8 and 15l would be a dream figure for him, I think even on the open road it would drink around 18l....

of course the grunt is better in the V8 though :rolleyes:

regarding sleeping in the back, I'm around 1.65m ish I think (not an imperial person), and have no problem sleeping in the back. I made a double floor in the back, so when you fold down the back seats its the same height as the second floor, then I put 2 pieces of wood on the seats to support a 3 piece matress I got cut to size @ clark rubber.
So when folded away, the dogs can sit on it in the back while theres still storage under them and on the back seats....
and just for that extra bit of space you can put a cushion or jumper on the center console to strech your feet out that way if you need to...

works for me...
Good luck with your decision!!
let us know how you go!
:)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
the daily one 1994 LandRover Discovery 300 TDI
the new one 1993 Toyota LandCruiser 80 series 4.2 Diesel
---------------------------------------------------------------------

kd883
Here and there

Unread post by kd883 » May 12th, 2012, 8:38 am

Hi Kampa, thanks very much for your reply. Any chance of a photo of your mattress set up? I had a similar idea in mind by the sounds of it. Do you know what the distance between the inside of the rear door and the back of the front seats is? i.e. maximum possible mattress length?

Thanks also for the engine info. Any idea what you'd get just on diesel around town? What tyres are you running?

Cheers,

KD.

riley4b
Been here a while

Unread post by riley4b » June 9th, 2012, 9:18 am

G'day, I have a 95 disco 3.9i on gas and it is awesome. It runs great no dramas at all and it handles LPG fine. I get about 300-350 ks for 50 bucks.
In terms of reliability It hasn't failed me. It has the tiny issue from time to time same as every car out there but nothing besides that. It's done 270,000 now and still is good. If the disco your looking at is the 3.9i rather than the 3.5 jump on it.
I sleep in my disco all the time with my missus I'm 5ft 7 and she's about 5 ft 5 and no probs just fold the rear seats and lay a foam mattress. It's no hilton hotel but beats a tent in the pissing rain.

1996Disco
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 1996Disco » August 15th, 2012, 6:00 pm

I have a 96' Disco 3.9 on Lpg and it runs great (especially now its tuned). I just gave it a complete service other than that havent touched the engine ..touch wood..
Because my Lpg tanks are in the boot the floor is aready raised so I sleep easy in the back, I havent had a Mattress cut i just chuck one in there, as I need it!

Zen_Section8
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Zen_Section8 » September 27th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Hey mate, I usualy just lay the front seat back as far as she goes and sleep right there, but thats me lol.

Now, I have had a TDI and a 3.5ltr V8. V8 has heaps more punch and sounds HEAPS better. however, as an offroad rig, the TDI really is the best of the two, I used to get nearly 700klms out of a tank in my TDI with a good tune, and the torque was always enough, and I had it in some tricky spots, However, on the road, the TDIs are a bit of a slouch, I swear I was overtaken by a snail at one stage, but im told there is some good tricks that can be done to the TDI to fix all that.

For a tourer, my money would be on the TDI everyday.

That being said, if you can afford the petrol, these V8s make the best noise in the business!
1991 Land Rover Discovery V8 5Spd
- 2in EFS Lift
- 33in MT MTZ's
- TJM Winch bar
- Iron Man 12,000lbs Winch
- Piranah Dual Battery system
- ARB Rear Air Locker

Return to “Discovery I”