what is the biggest tyre you can fit under the disco1, stock

Snerk
Been here a while

Re: what is the biggest tyre you can fit under the disco1, s

Unread post by Snerk » September 22nd, 2011, 8:55 pm

I had understood the standard 235/70/16s could be replaced with 235/85/16s with a 50mm lift without cutting. Is that wrong? Interested because I was planning to do it with my next set of tyres.

Hocks
Been here a while

Unread post by Hocks » September 27th, 2011, 11:09 pm

Change of plan, going for 245/75/16 Cooper ST's.

Got offered a good price I couldn't decline.
I have been informed that the A/T will fit but M/T wont.
Forgot where I heard it. I'll soon tell you.

Wortho
Here and there

Unread post by Wortho » September 29th, 2011, 3:44 pm

Sorry been away for a while, firstly on any vehicle a up to a 2in lift will do nothing to change the size of tyre you can fit as you are not changing your up travel so it is more a case of how big is your wheel arch,ie a 33in tyre will not fit in a 32in hole etc, this applies to any vehicle, any make. With the Landies we are lucky as the guards do not end right up on the fire wall so you can trim away the excess guard to enlarge your wheel arch's this is when you fit your flares to cover the cut and increased tyre size. if you are going over 32in then you really should look at changing your rims as you will severly impact on you turning circle as the tyre will come into contact with the radius arms, be careful not to go to far with offeset as you place a lot more stress on wheel bearings the more you go out, also don't go to wide on the tyre as the Disco is a relativily small car and you will loose steering feel and drivability of the vehicle also you will really affect fuel enconomy, 255 is about as wide as i would go any more and it gets alittle to wide. With a 255/85/16 you have the same diff clearence as a Patrol or Cruiser on 35's any way so there really is no need to go much more, this size fits beautifuly on a 16x8 with a "0" offset, there is no need to go -25 as some places will tell you all you will get with that is decreased wheel bearing life. Gearing next you will notice a big difference once you go over a 31in tyre for 33in tyres 4.11 crown wheel and pinion will bring your gearing back to stock(this made a bigger difference offroad with the larger tyres than lockers did). Lift wise there is also no need to go for more than a 40-50mm lift, i have 4in lift shocks from a Cruiser in the front of mine and 6in lift Cruiser shocks in the rear with my 40mm lift with dislocation cones rear shocks i lifted the upper mount 1in and moved it forwrd 2in changing to pin mount as well, front and rear i lowered my bump stops 30mm for the longer shocks but found i really did not need to on the front and only with a really big hit does it come close on the rear.
If there is anything else you would like to know just ask.

Snerk
Been here a while

Unread post by Snerk » September 29th, 2011, 7:17 pm

Interesting. You mentioned 255/85/16. How about 235/85/16, which increases hieght but not width over standard - does that need cutting with a 50mm lift or is it OK without cutting?

Wortho
Here and there

Unread post by Wortho » September 30th, 2011, 1:59 pm

235/85/16 is nearly 32in tyre(standard size on Defender) so quite a bit more than 29in standard, you will get away with just a camel cut(same size as on the camel trophy cars hence camel cut) on the rear of the rear guards with anything up to 50mm of lift, you may need to adjust your steering stops and if it is a Tdi you will notice a bit of a drop in performance.

Snerk
Been here a while

Unread post by Snerk » October 3rd, 2011, 8:54 pm

Thanks for that, confirms what I thought.

Hocks
Been here a while

Unread post by Hocks » October 27th, 2011, 12:35 am

I have 265/75/16 on order, I'll let you know once I get them.

Hocks
Been here a while

Unread post by Hocks » November 10th, 2011, 2:05 am

The 265/75/16's are on, and they fit but I will need to chop the wheel arches, on the odd occasion they do catch and they also catch on full lock, but only just. I went for MT 4rib Baja's. Tried them out on the local beach within a few hours of them being on, great, apart from the thing needing some tweaks.

Disco_Balls
Here and there

Unread post by Disco_Balls » December 28th, 2011, 12:20 pm

This is my disco full flex with 235/70/16 Cooper HTs at around 65% tread, standard height no panel mods.
Clearly, anything bigger will destroy your bodywork and make a mess of your tyres

Cheers :drink:
OFFICIAL Mitsnisyota RECOVERY VEHICLE!

Return to “Discovery I”