View topic - what is the biggest tyre you can fit under the disco1, stock

what is the biggest tyre you can fit under the disco1, stock

Here and there

what is the biggest tyre you can fit under the disco1, stock

hey guys , was wondering what is the biggest tyre you can fit under the disco , stock...

Unread postby zook2412 » November 21st, 2010, 9:53 am

Been here a while

Re: tyre talk

I believe its a 33", without doing any mods.

Hocks

Unread postby Hocks » November 27th, 2010, 5:19 am

Mate check out this site it has all the sizes and modifications required for each size. Some very helpful info

http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/tires.html

mark

Unread postby Guest » November 28th, 2010, 6:44 pm

Been here a while

Cool, thanks for that Lost=fun, well worth checking before changing.

Hocks

Unread postby Hocks » November 29th, 2010, 2:27 pm

Been here a while

under a stock disco only a 31 inch tyre then u proberly still need to camel cut the rear gaurd,,with flares you will fit the 33,s,
cheers mick

Unread postby mickadisco » December 2nd, 2010, 7:22 pm

Getting to know the place

Hi Guys I put a set of 31" bighorns on 15" rims on mine and I had to take about 10mm off the rear guards as when you articulate they hit. All I did was cut the lip of about 12" up the back of the guard then bent a new lip so it still had support.

Unread postby greatmate » December 31st, 2010, 5:22 pm

Been here a while

mickadisco wrote:under a stock disco only a 31 inch tyre then u proberly still need to camel cut the rear gaurd,,with flares you will fit the 33,s,
cheers mick

Mick,

What tire size have you got on yours?

you may be able to best advise me on what tire I should go for.

I am wanting to get some bigger rubber to get a bigger footprint but also get some height advantage too, this is proving to be a bit more difficult than I though as I am limited on tire size, due to the wheel arch size.

My Landrover has a 2" suspension lift. Would it help it if I gave it another 2" and gave it a 2" body lift to be able to fit the bigger rubber.
That said, I am limited to the width of the gap where the tire goes, as when it articulates, its still going to need the space. I am assuming I can trim the wheel arches. I know I will need to get the grinder/nibbler out and cut the wings/wheel arches back.

There is about an inch all the way around on the wheel arch that could be cut out and put some wheels flairs in.

I like the idea of the STT's but from reviews, the ST preform just as well if not better in some places, except in the mud.
The types of terrain we have up here is mostly sand and red dirt, Pilbara dirt.

I also want to tour and towing a trailer. I will travel to other parts of Australia, WA, NT and Queensland mostly.

Whats peoples advise and how far do I need to cut out...ect..ect.

Unread postby Hocks » August 13th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Here and there

Mate i've just gone through the whole tyre experience.

without a camel cut the largest tyres you can fit without rubbing is what I have now which is 225/75/r16. Down the track is trimming the whole guard and adding flares for bigger tyres but along with that is strengthening the drive train as things are prone to brake the bigger you go. This being said with drive train upgrades the biggest tyre is around245/75/16.

If you're looking for a good all round tyre I highly recommend the new Cooper ST Maxx. they are classed as a 50/50 tyre and so far so very good.

Mark

Unread postby DiscoMark » August 14th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Been here a while

I already have 245/70/16s.

Looks like I will have to do a bit of chopping and look at getting another 2" lift and get the body lifted.

Looks like not in the too near future I'll be lifting and cutting into the disco.

I am torn towards the Cooper ST, plus they match the disco with the words "Discovery", sorry, I know thats sad of me but hey....

Unread postby Hocks » August 15th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Here and there

I have 255/85/16 or 33.3in tyres on 0 offset rims with a 40mm lift and flares on my Disco with no rubbing.

Unread postby Wortho » August 17th, 2011, 6:51 pm

Been here a while

Wortho wrote:I have 255/85/16 or 33.3in tyres on 0 offset rims with a 40mm lift and flares on my Disco with no rubbing.

Sounds good to me, what brand of tyres have you got?

Torn between the Cooper ST,STT or ST maxx, or Maxxis Bighorn.
They dont do that size in them.

Tempted on going for the 265/75/16, try and avoid full lock until I get offset rims.
By all means, if anyone has some offset rims they'd like to donate to a worthy course, feel free to send them over. LOL.

Unread postby Hocks » August 17th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Need to get out more

245 75 16 is the biggest you can fit. To fit them you will have to trim about 10mm of the bottom lip and inside lip of your guard at the point. Basically just get a grinder and cut at an angle from the bottom point if that makes sense?? I think they call it a camel cut? You cannot pick it when its done unless you know about it.
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

Unread postby ERASER » August 17th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Been here a while

Wortho, Measured up and the 255/85's will just fit. If you have flairs, I guess you cut some of the arches, how much did you cut off.

Eraser, I do believe you are right, 285/55's will fit but will rub as soon as i go off road, I'LL need to chop some of the bottom.

Think the 255/85's are probably a better option, without having to pay out loads for offset rims. In the mean time, I can look at getting the offset rims and body lift.

Unread postby Hocks » August 18th, 2011, 11:52 pm

Been here a while

Spoke with a tyre dealer in Perth, he ensures me that 265/75/16 will fit with a small cut, as long as I go for A/T, but muddies will rub.

So now the decision is either the cooper ST or MT Baja's.

Just waiting for a price on both.

Its probably being a little sad but like the idea of the Cooper ST, as well as being a good tire, they have Discovery written on the side.

Unread postby Hocks » August 22nd, 2011, 1:17 am

Been here a while

Re: what is the biggest tyre you can fit under the disco1, s

Going for the MT Baja's, a lot cheaper and was getting messed about by the Cooper dealers.
The MT guy in Perth has replied straight away everytime.
Had to call the Cooper guys in Karratha several times and was told different prices. Took over two weeks to get a quote.

MT's $328, Coopers $408. Customer service, MT great, Coopers, very poor.

Unread postby Hocks » August 25th, 2011, 12:50 am

Next

Return to Discovery I