Suzuki Jimny Modifications

Little Foot
I'm new, be nice!

Suzuki Jimny Modifications

Unread post by Little Foot » August 27th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Hi Guys and Girls

I'm what you would refer to as a 4x4 virgin. My other half has a Landcrusier 80 series, super charged, a set of 35's, the shockers, diff lockers and everything else a good 4x4 should have. I was sick of spending money on his monster so I went out and got myself one.

I've just purchased a sweet little Suzuki Jimny 2000 Manual (little foot). She is stock standard, but I know she has potential.

I took her out last weekend and tried to climb a mud hill. That was when I decided I need some bigger rubber. Any sugestions.

I also want to give her a lift and get a bit more out of the baby 1.3 engine.

I've been watching this forum for some time now and I know you guys are in the know.

I'd ask my husband but I pretty much over the Jimny jokes.

Your help to spend my husbands money would be greatly appriciated.

:o

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » August 27th, 2009, 10:56 pm

hey welcome aboard little foot

if you drive the jimny daily, then maybe a set of all terrain tyres would be worth looking at, as they will generally perform better on road than muddies, common sizes for jimny's seem to be 215/75R15 and 235/75R15...though not sure on legalities on those sizes...best check that with your local transport authority.....

as for the engine, depends on how much more power you want.....there's the usual filter, snorkel and exhaust mods which would give you a few extra ponies, or you can go the whole hog, and fit a turbo or blower, or swap in a bigger engine....
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

Little Foot
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Little Foot » August 27th, 2009, 11:11 pm

Hi Cac

Thanks for the advise. I wanted to put Mickey Thompson MTZ on my little girl but they don't come small enough. Do you know of any other brands I can look at that might be suitable. Please don't mention Coppers. The Copper / Mickey Thompson relationship in our group is a bit like Toyota or Nissan, Ford or Holden, you either love them or hate them.

As for the engine, I'd go the hole hog and replace the engine with my brothers 302 that is waisting away in the shed, but I think thats a bit out of my skills.

I went to the local 4x4 shop and asked about a performance filter and a snorkle but he told me you couldn't get them. He was also the checky so and so that gave me a spring out of a bic pen and told me that that was the size of the coil springs for the Jimny. (as I said earlier, I'm over the jokes they are starting to wear thin).

Would you suggest I look at somewhere like ARB or TJM for after market parts, or should I go back to my local Suzuki Dealer.

Thanks for your help.

4x4playNT
Part of the furniture

Unread post by 4x4playNT » August 27th, 2009, 11:32 pm

235's take a lot of work to get them to fit....a mate was looking at a set of 235's for his jimny, and even with a decent amount of lift, its still a bit of stuffing around.
MAZTRUCK- 31" Muddies, 2" Suspension lift, 2" Body Lift, Custom Front Bar, UHF, 2" Shackles, Balljoint Spacers, 1" Diff Drop, Dual Batt, Front Lokka, Sliders, Custom Tray, etc

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » August 27th, 2009, 11:32 pm

Bridgestone D694 duellers come in a range of zook sizes....it was one of the few tyres i could get the factory size for to suit my GV....after 20,000km i've been quite happy with the performance of them, both on road and off....

ARB or TJM should both offer a kit to suit the jimny, so definitely check them out, there's also tough dog who make suspension kits, and a number of other company's that i can't think of atm.....

V8 powered jimny would be rather interesting too....though i imagine with a cast iron 302 in there, it would be a little nose heavy.....and have no real desire to go around corners....if going the engine swap though, and looking at a V6 or V8, i'd go for an all alloy unit to save weight....or the 1.3L motor in the jimny is part of suzuki's M series of motors, which of which larger capacity versions are found in things like later model swifts and lianas....

while i haven't specifically looked, i would be very surprised if you couldn't get a performance air filter for a jimny, and i am pretty sure i have seen them fitted with snorkels as well....given that the guy offered you his pen spring, he probably didn't take any of your enquiry seriously....

whereabouts are you located??

someone maybe able to recommend a decent shop to go to....
LN106 Hilux Project

4x4playNT
Part of the furniture

Unread post by 4x4playNT » August 27th, 2009, 11:36 pm

you can buy K&N filters for the jimny, repco or indies will be able to order one in for you.
MAZTRUCK- 31" Muddies, 2" Suspension lift, 2" Body Lift, Custom Front Bar, UHF, 2" Shackles, Balljoint Spacers, 1" Diff Drop, Dual Batt, Front Lokka, Sliders, Custom Tray, etc

Little Foot
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Little Foot » August 27th, 2009, 11:59 pm

Hi Guys

I live in Adelaide SA.

I'll look into the K&N Filter at Repco. I'll also go look at the Bridgestone D694s.

As for that guy at the 4x4 shop not taking me seriously, that's ok, I'm more than happy to spend my money elsewhere.

I'm sure you can get a snorkle, I've seen it in the 4x4 Action Mag, although that Jimny may have been a later model than mine.

Before I go ahead with the dramatic engine change I'll look at getting the exhurst done and if I can find a K&N performance filter I'll give that a go. If this doesn't give me the power punch I need then I'll start looking into an engine change over.

thanks guys

watermouse
Been here a while

Unread post by watermouse » August 28th, 2009, 4:32 pm

Since you live in Adelaide, have a chat to Darren at Total Traction Tyres in Lonsdale. He got me sorted with new suspension and tyres for my Jimny. Top bloke too. He is also right next to Wasp 4X4 (Hugh) who can whack you up a set of rocksliders, Bash plates, custom bars, roll cages or any custom metal work you require.

If you get stuck with a snorkel p.m. me. I do custom carbon fibre stuff, fibreglass replacement panels etc.
snorkel2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

ODA1
Been here a while

Unread post by ODA1 » August 28th, 2009, 7:10 pm

hi

check out zuknutters thread on Auszookers

auszookers › Forums › General › The Rigs of Auszookers › Jimny - SUZUKI Way of life

he has a 2000 jimny too :waycool:
font of all Suzuki knowledge as another Member has said lol........

Little Foot
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Little Foot » August 28th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Thanks Watermouse I'll check them out.

ODA1 - nice zook. I had a look at the link. OH MY GOD. If I ever need inspiration I know where to go to find it.

I'm going to give my little girl a bit of a lift. I'm not sure how to go about it. There seems to be too much to choose from. There are OME, Tough Dogs, EFI (I think). What do you think.

Little Foot

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » August 30th, 2009, 5:32 pm

hey Little Foot....found your snorkel for you.....ODA1 is a member on here who runs his own eBay shop...he sells Jimny snorkels, and quite a few other suzuki bits and pieces as well....

suzuki Jimny Snorkel - Outdoor Auto
LN106 Hilux Project

zukenutter
Here and there

Unread post by zukenutter » September 10th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Hi Little Foot,
Someone else PM'd me recently about K&N filter for Jimny. They kept telling me the same thing that there was nothing.

The correct one for Jimny. I think all models are the same but may be worth checking.

Part # 33-2162

I've had 3 different suspension heights on mine over the last 8 years. 40mm works fine with 215/75R15.

235/75R15 will require about 60mm of lift and maybe a little trimming of the lip of the plastic flare.

I have had the same 40mm King Springs since new. They have definitely sagged a little but have done so evenly. Considering they cop a fair workout and are also carrying a bit of surface rust from beach driving I think they've been good value. If I upgrade my springs I think I'll try the ones from ODA1 as they look like they have a progressive rating (Coiled tighter in top and bottom, more open in the middle. I'm not sure but think these would work well both on and off road).

I've also had the same "Tough Dog" shocks for about 8 years and they are still reasonable, but probably ready to be replaced. I bought them when I added 20mm spacers.
[b]Camper Trailer; [/b][url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=83404[/url]
[b]My Rig; [/b][url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=71843[/url]

1999_z00k
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Suzuki Jimny Modifications

Unread post by 1999_z00k » March 15th, 2012, 9:33 pm

Hi Little Foot,

How did you go with the mods to your Jimny?

I have a 99 zook, with Toyo 225/75R15 tyres, and they fit fine under the 2" lift. I got my lift fitted through TJM, I think it was an XGS (don't quote me on that) and it was a custom make, because when I got it done, quite a few years ago now, they only had a 1" lift available, and I needed a bigger lift to get bigger tyres for more clearance offroad.

It is a lot for a little car to push, and even after exhaust and extractors, its is not very good on fuel, and is very sluggish. If I was using it as an everyday car, I would not have modified it at all.. I know now :)

I am looking into doing a total rebuild, with the help of hubby, of course, and turn it into a gymkhana weapon now!!

ZookFastback
Been here a while

Unread post by ZookFastback » March 18th, 2012, 6:46 am

I'd suggest Maxxis Trepador for your Jimny. They are available in the Jimny standard size so you will have no RWC/Insurance worries.

The M8060 205/70 15"

No need for a lift with these, no need to change transfer case gearing and they are awesome for grip.

Costs about $220/ea at Tyrepower and other dealers. That is where I got my set.
Ian from Frankston :crazy:

Ordinary Jimnys go "Ok"
but Santana Jimnys go "Ole!"

It's hard to run like an Emu
when you are GIRT by Numbats

Dorfl
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Dorfl » March 27th, 2012, 7:43 pm

I had a set of 205R16 Maxxis Trepador's on my Pajero IO and they were fantastic. Only drama was they wore really quickly :-( doing mainly Highway k's

Return to “Jimny”