2001 Suzuki Jimny JLX surging/lurch issue.

ksmit456
I'm new, be nice!

2001 Suzuki Jimny JLX surging/lurch issue.

Unread post by ksmit456 » March 13th, 2016, 1:52 pm

Hi all,

History of the issue:
As of September 2014, my 2001 Suzuki Jimny JLX has sporadically been surging and lurching. That being said it has been occurring more often in recent months, particularly during the summer months, which I believe increases the surging/lurching. I'll explain my theory latter.
Other than the regular servicing I've had the Jimny serviced and looked at by 6 different mechanics, two of which are Suzuki dealerships. All of which have run scans and tests of the car which has apparently revealed that there is either nothing wrong with the car or the car isn't storing the code that should reveal the problem.

The actual issue:
When driving on bitumen roads, at over 75 kph during weather over mid 20's for as little as 20 minutes the car will begin to surge, lurch or pulse forwards. Most if not all of the car lights flash on and off, including the check engine light. The speedometer works/displays as normal but the tachometer flickers between 2,000 to 3,000 revs. Every time this issue has happened I have pulled off the road and either immediately stopped the car and shut it down/switched it off and after a few minutes of waiting I'll turn the car over again and drive on, but the car is highly likely to surge and lurch soon after. Particularly if it's warm weather. I have also let the car idle and wait for it to solve the issue it's self, but it does take a couple minutes for the tachometer to stop flickering. When the issue has happened and I've pulled of to the side of the road and the car is in neutral and idling the tachometer flickers between 0 and 1,000 revs before return to a steady idle after a couple of minutes. When I've driven the car around town or less than 60 kilometres an hour the issue hasn't occurred.
I have drive the Jimny with a number of mechanics and the issue doesn't happen. Irritatingly.

Change of parts:
In December 2014 I had the fuel filter replaced. I was hoping this would fix the issue but it has not. October 2015 I replaced the tyres with some Bridgestone AT's. There has been no difference the surging/lurching continues. As of February 2016 I had the battery replaced, I did hope this my some how solve the issue if it was electrically related but it hasn't, the surging and lurching remains. The car has just travelled over 134,500 kilometres. I bought the Jimny second hand in 2011 and to my knowledge has had no prior issues.

My own theories:
My theory being that a sensor somewhere in the car is faulty and misfiring. In-turn causing the car to surge and lurch. I believe if it is a sensor that is faulty it is instructing the car that it is over heating and causing the surging and lurching. The issue hasn't arisen during the cooler months of the year. I'm confident the issue is somehow heat related.

If anyone has experienced this issue or has any genuinely helpful advice, I would be gratefully appreciative.

Regards.
Last edited by ksmit456 on March 17th, 2016, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 2001 Suzuki Jimny JLX surging/lurch issue.

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 14th, 2016, 10:15 am

I don't have any experience of this in a Jimny, but have had similar occurrences in more'n just a few other vehicles that may add a little understanding to your problem. Most often this has been eventually traced back to a perished or deteriorating fusible link or one of the main engine control relays - when they start to get iffy (&/or just older'n about 10 years or so....) they become very susceptible to heat. If they get hot or even just warm it seems they can start to 'break down' in that they won't let the full/necessary voltage pass, & you get exactly the symptoms you've described... :( Only real fix I've found, replace the offending fusible link/relay with a new/proven link/relay, but if you do just the dodgy one (IF you can isolate it) expect similar to occur shortly as one of the other 3 or 4 that most vehicles have follows the same path to uselessness!! Last couple of vehicles I've had it happen on, I just replaced all the fusible links & ECU relays anyway, after all, they are all the same age, they've all had the same sort of treatment thru their life, chances are they are all close to the same sort of failure at some time soon so swapping the lot out at one hit gives you a good chance of another 10 years or so of driving!! ;)

That lot above all said, with a couple of the vehicles I've run into this sort of thing on it's ended up being a fuel filter/fuel flow issue that somehow stuffs up the info the sensors are passing to the vehicle's (many) computers stuffing things up, and many hours of searching & swapping in & out of various replacement parts has done diddly squat to rectify things until finally & in absolute desperation I've changed the fuel filters AND checked cleaned all the tiny little gauze filters that are hidden throughout many injection systems... under banjo bolts in the fuel & fuel return lines, or even buried deep inside the fuel inlets or outlets on injector pumps &/or rails; & once replaced/cleaned, the whole surge thing & the associated electrical gremlins have disappeared & not returned (yet, anyway...... with about 200,000 km on the last one so far!) No real idea how this can actually produce both the surge AND the 'electrical' problems, but twice now it's ended up being the fix for very similar issues, once on a Daihatsu Feroza & once on a Suxuki Vitara.... :o

Sooo, this lot might not be applicable to your particular issue & may not help much, but if nothing else it might give you another direction to check & may even help in the ultimate resolution for you - so here's hoping :thumb: Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

ksmit456
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ksmit456 » March 17th, 2016, 5:48 pm

Thank you for your detailed reply Peter.

Would you have a rough idea of how much it would cost to have the fusible links & ECU relays replaced?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 17th, 2016, 9:42 pm

Sorry, it's been a while since I've had to pay for any to be done.... but I wouldn't think it would be massively expensive. If you can find them, you can probably get the Fusible links from SuperCheap or AutoPro for less than $20 each, but you might have 3 main fusible links on your Jimny. The Relays are usually just relays, altho they may have a special 'Suzi unique' plug or something so you hafta go to Suzuki for them.

Buuut, if you don't have a workshop manual for your Jimny, get a Gregory's or Haine's, they are usually less than $50 or so from AutoPro etc, and they will help you untold with diagnising this sort of stuff, as well as doing the fusible link &/or relay change yourself - most modern vehicles are simply 'plug & play' for this sort of stuff! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Jimny”