looking at buying a Jimny & after adv from the Pro's?!

redskee
Been here a while

looking at buying a Jimny & after adv from the Pro's?!

Unread post by redskee » November 1st, 2013, 7:42 pm

Hi guys looking at buying a jimny once i know which is the best model etc, i just sold my 80 series its the one that was on front cover of 4wd action mag at the moment, but like any car there is always a model to buy and one not too but i only know toyotas, so my question for the suzukis pros

is there a particular model to stay clear of ?

is the electronic shift better or worse than mechanical shift for low range? imo electronic is usually not the answer

are these cars prone to common problems

how do you find these cars on the beach compared to a large truck?

thanks guys in advance sorry been searchin the net for these answers just couldnt find exactly what im after

Jimmy10
Been here a while

Re: looking at buying a Jimny & after adv from the Pro's?!

Unread post by Jimmy10 » November 19th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Hi Redskee,

I have a 2010 manual Jimny. It has the 1.3 VVT engine in it. I believe the newer Jimny engines rev a bit lower as they can generate their power a little bit lower down. Power is a loose word...

I have had no issues in 3 years with the 4x4 system. It is very reliable and changes every time. I prefer it, especially if you drive into mud and lose momentum there is no need to get out into the mud and lock hubs. :) I have owned both and so far no issues with the electronic system. The wiring below the transfer case is a bit exposed so if your driving through dense scrub some extra protection or vigilance is needed.

It is tricky on the beach to follow other peoples wheel tracks because the Jimny's are a bit narrower. you generally only get one wheel in a rutt. That goes for bush, mud, sand and well everywhere.

once you start making your own tracks on the beach its a breeze. you will forget what the word bogged means untill you come across a big truck and memories come flooding back hehe. I use extra low tyre pressures around 8/10 psi just so the engine doesnt have to work to hard (mechanical sympathy) and low range in the soft stuff for the same reason. you can still run hard tyres in high range just alot of work and get alot of axle bounce

The obvious pros are size and speed. it is slow and small.

the pro's is really just fun to drive and puts a smile on your face... Always.

Good luck with your decision mate
Fun Size!

Ossat
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Ossat » January 2nd, 2014, 12:49 pm

Hi all,

I'm also interested in buying a Jimny. I took a new one for a drive and noticed that at 100km/h the engine has to rev high to keep the speed. I know is not a car for speed, but to get to nice off-road tracks you do have to go through highways sometimes. It concerns me, being a small engine, is it gonna handle well bigger tyres, bullbar, towbar and other accesories which will add weight? Many thanks' I'll appreciate any advice

Regards, Ossat

redskee
Been here a while

Unread post by redskee » January 23rd, 2014, 8:12 pm

thanks jimny 10 im now on the serious hunt to find one i have test drove a couple now deciding on the auto or manual very hard to decide your answer to my question was great really appreciate it

jacobdoddson
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by jacobdoddson » May 19th, 2014, 1:53 pm

hi i've had my zook for a while now must say these rigs are awesome .
I'm member of AUZOOKERS you should jump on there they have a lot of info that could help you and some that are for sale pop up there from time to time
i can say i love my zook ' its great on fuel and gets me every where i need to go
these rigs are fun to drive on road and amazing to drive off road
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » May 19th, 2014, 5:04 pm

They are pretty good offroad, being so light weight. They are brilliant on the beach, and only real issues are the size and clearance

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Return to “Jimny”