storing petrol for long outback drive

jimnyhelm
Getting to know the place

storing petrol for long outback drive

Unread post by jimnyhelm » September 30th, 2013, 11:55 pm

HI I was wondering if i can store fuel for my car in a marine fuel tank,
as i have a liitle zook and space is everthing, i know you should not carry fuel in the car because of the fumes,
and i dont realy want to carry it on the roof rack because of the wieght, so i was thinking could i carry it in a marine fuel tank with the air valve close off in my car.
i am planning a trip up the Outback Highway and i need to carry fuel

75workhorse
Been here a while

Re: storing petrol for long outback drive

Unread post by 75workhorse » October 1st, 2013, 12:08 am

If you have a hood rack up there is the best place
if you haven't got one it is one of the best extra
40 ltrs on the roof should be no probs
If it is called common sense
then why is it so uncommon

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 1st, 2013, 11:13 am

One of the issues with carrying ULP in the cabin is not just the fumes, but if the worst does happen, getting it on your skin and not being able to wash it off properly can mean it burns you badly without actually catching alight!! And getting liquid fuel into your gut &/or lungs can be deadly!! So while I agree that the roof is not such a great place for it on such a small & narrow vehicle anyway, it's always going to be better than putting it inside the cab in any form!! But if you do carry it up there, I'd be using smallish milspec containers (10 litres maybe - IF you can get them??) and spreading the load across as much of the top as you can, so it's not at one end/side or the other.

Buuut, I'm reasonably sure I've seen some LR tanks for them - don't know if they were custom made or not, but I reckon they were about 80-100 litres, and something like that would solve your fuel carrying issues entirely while catering for just about any trip you can plan in one of those! We have a couple of Daihatsu Feroza's, that are pretty much the same size, and they come with a pretty small stock fuel tank. Got 100 litre LR tanks for them, keep the fuel/weight all down low and out of the way, doesn't impact on the 'in cab' storage at all, hasn't made a noticeable difference to driving around town, and certainly gives us the range for just about anything. We've done the Simpson Desert & the Vic High Country/Snowies without any range problems at all, and it is sometimes handy to be able to drive about 1200 km of 4WD/a tad more on road if you are careful, all on just the one tank of fuel! LR tanks may be a little expensive at first glance, but ask around, I got ours somewhat cheaper cos they were the last of the initial production run (it always pays to ask if anyone has some in stock anywhere in the country) and they are not something that is in all that great a demand out there.

You might be surprised at how cheap Long Range tanks can be if you do your research and don't just ask the first retail outlet. Check with all the wreckers/hotline, ask if anyone's got old stock, put a few Wanted adverts out there - chase them down a bit and you might be lucky. Or you could even ask about getting one custom made??! Not always massively expensive, but certainly worth paying a little more than it'd cost you for a bunch of jerries and the hassles of carrying them - IF you are going to do more than one longish trip of course! ;)

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

jimnyhelm
Getting to know the place

Unread post by jimnyhelm » October 1st, 2013, 10:24 pm

thanks for the reply i will look into lr tanks

broomey
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by broomey » January 4th, 2014, 6:54 am

I have a jimny and have been trying to find a longrange tank for years no one makes one and ive done heaps of research i drove to birdsville bash with 40 litres of ulp in the back just like the first person to cross the simpson desert you know i travel across the country in my jimny with a camper trailer behind people told me it was impossible you want pull that trailer with that truck but ounce again i proved them wrong travelling from adelaide to bundy for 450 bucks think outside the sqaure and dont listen to others is my major motto

Return to “Jimny”