The Jimny Shimmy!!!!

MENESS
Getting to know the place

The Jimny Shimmy!!!!

Unread post by MENESS » June 14th, 2013, 11:04 pm

Hi all....I have a 2004 Suzuki Jimny jlx auto and have the well known Jimny Shimmy/Wobble....I have had my truck for about 1yr and 3 months....my first test drive was a scary one as when i reached 70km the steering wheel jerked back and forth nearly ripping my thumb off....told dealer and told me its been balanced and had alignment done test drive then on perfect....few months later out of the blue reached 80km and here comes the death wobble(whole car including steering wheel and gear selectors shaking from side to side violently)...took it to mechanics said tyres were out of round rotated them and death wobble and steering wobble gone....about 6 months ago the steering wobble started to show itself again but slightly....it has progressively gotten worse....about 2 months ago the steering wobble(more like a jerking back and forth) got alot worse....i dont really grip the steering wheel between 59km-61km and at 70km-75km....took it to a tyre place and he balanced all wheels-wobble at 59-61km gone but still at 70km...moved back tyres to front and front tyres to back(Bridgestone dueler highways on front now) and 70 km wobble still there added with the death wobble...moved bridgestones to the back and the unknown asian brands back to the front and got a wheel alignment done....death wobble gone....steering wobble less but still prominent....What the hell is causing the wobble....my guy says not cv joints-tie rod ends-drive shaft-sway bar-ball joints....my tyres are still the slightly out of round ones but not sure thats all it would be....the wobble is always at 70km-75km and sometimes there is no wobble at all but only for a max of 2 times in a row of reaching 70km in one trip....my guy doesnt want me to upgrade my tyres until this issue is sorted as i am going from 205-70-15 to Maxxis bravo 751 a/t 215-75-15 and he is worried it will make the wobble worse and unsafe....i asked Suzuki Dealer and they didnt know anything and said they would have to check when its on the hoist....What is causing this very common jimny fault is it just how it was made...not really fixable...Please help!!!!
P.S. My Jimny is standard....for now.

MENESS

Re: The Jimny Shimmy!!!!

Unread post by MENESS » June 17th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Hi All.....UPDATE....I have been to a mechanic that my tyre guy recommended and he test drove my Jimny today and seems to think its the shock absorbers....he said he has had a few cars do the same steering wheel vibration due to bad shocks...im going ahead with getting the new shocks installed at the end of this week....i will update this post after the new shocks go in and whether the steering wobble is any better.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 17th, 2013, 5:05 pm

Hey Meness, go into advanced search and look for Death Wobbles, Patrol wobbles, coily wobbles, colly wobbles, vibration, and any other variations on that you can think of in the title of the thread - there is a lot of stuff here on this sort of thing, and it all basically comes back to something in the steering geometry or pre-loads being out of whack. That can include worn bushes, shocks, arms, not enough castor, too much castor, too little pre-load on the steering box, etc. Well worth spending the time searching and doing some selective reading, I do think there was even some early info on Jimny's in there too!

Good Luck, hope you get it all sorted.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

MENESS

Unread post by MENESS » June 17th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Hi Peter....Thanks for your reply...all the things you have listed dont quite fit the symptom that i have....most of them should have clunking sounds or steering difficulty....when im driving or turning i have no clunking/clicking or rattling at all(except the one clunk i heard while parking)....the steering is responsive and not overly heavy when turning/parking....and the wheels are solid with little movement suggesting no problems regarding king pin/swivel bearings, ball joints etc....however there is always room for error when regarding typical symptoms.....getting the shocks done is first up and go from there if the problem persists at least i wont have to worry about new shocks anytime soon....

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 17th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Sorry meness, the symptoms you've described are pretty much EXACTLY what all those other threads discuss, no clunking, just a vibration that can range from minor right thru to 'throw you off the road!' that usually occurs between about 70 & 80 kph! ;)

It's not so much 'movement' in any of those specs, it's going out of the spec range - ie too much/little pre-load, too much/little caster, slightly worn bushes, a slightly loose panhard rod - nothing big enough to create a clunk, no steering issues otherwise, no rattles, no movement that you can detect, JUST the death wobbles!

Check out the threads, you might be surprised, and you might even find something that will help you - others have! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

MENESS

Unread post by MENESS » June 18th, 2013, 7:47 pm

Thanks again Peter for your reply......all other posts do have exactly the same symptoms as mine....i meant only the symptoms of the causes that you listed....i searched online symptoms for everything that's listed and they weren't similar enough all except 2 including the bushes....which have been ruled out by my guy Glen that had the car up on the hoist before the alignment was done....you did list shocks though which when searched online actually says steering wobble as a symptom which is promising....most searches for forum posts are from owners of modified 4x4's so makes it a bit hard to compare when mines standard.....didn't realise how many 4x4's have the wobbles though....i will keep your advice in mind if the shocks dont help or it comes back....i gotta start somewhere i guess....could also be a combinations of things as some have said on forums....i have hope that the issue will be sorted so i can upgrade my tyres finally :D

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 18th, 2013, 11:33 pm

It doesn't matter if it's standard or modified Meness, altho it does tend to be more frequent in modified or lifted vehicles - if the anything up the front end is not within specs, you will probably get that sort of vibration, and to fix it you need to check every thing. There is a recent thread with a title that mentions horrid vibrations at 70+kmh: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142298

Many of the vehicles sold/designed in the last decade or so simply don't have enough range built into the tolerance of their specs, so when one thing gets out of it's fairly tight range, the vibrations occur. With Patrols, it doesn't really matter what else you fix, if there isn't enough positive castor dialed in it only takes one thing, say the pre-load on the king pin bearing pre-loads, to be the tiniest bit out of whack and the vehicle will get the coily wobbles at 70-80 kph. Fix the king pin bearing problem by adding or removing a shim & you've got a short term fix, but as soon as something else gets worn or bumped out of it's spec range, the death wobbles are back - fix the castor AND the other bit, usually after you've checked everything else, then you probably won't get them ever again (until you lift it or change something else!)

So read the threads, check out all the results and the many and varied solutions that others have tried; then like you've said, all you can do is start somewhere, but go right thru the lot, everything, and get it all within the range detailed in your vehicle specs - do that, and one of them will probably fix it, but don't stop there, cos that one might not be the only culprit, just the first thing you find! Check and fix the rest too, so that it should remained fixed, instead of just waiting for the next bit to wear just a tad more! :irked:

If you have any hassles doing the advanced search, drop me a PM and I'll run thru it with you, but I'm pretty sure the answer is here amongst those threads! ;)

MENESS

Unread post by MENESS » June 19th, 2013, 10:44 pm

Hey Peter.....took it to a friend today(25yrs working on cars) and he checked the front end everything looks fine but found a binding front left caliper....will be delaying the shocks and getting the brakes done hopefully keeping my friday booking....i have read many posts on steering wobbles over the last year but was really hoping for more of a black and white reason thinking it was just one thing that caused it....i was being hopeful....Thank You again and will get one thing at a time done.

Return to “Jimny”