K&N Air CLeaner

Jimmy10
Been here a while

K&N Air CLeaner

Unread post by Jimmy10 » May 6th, 2011, 8:59 am

Is anyone using a K&N washable air cleaner in their late model Jimny? Since i fitted a snorkel i found i pick up alot more bugs and grime in my air box and thinking of giving the K&N filter a go. Any feedback good or bad would be appreciated :)

John
Fun Size!

Re: K&N Air CLeaner

Unread post by Guest » May 6th, 2011, 5:20 pm

I looked at one a while ago but after searching a few threads decided to keep the paper filters going as most people believe they filter better. There was a link to a test somewhere and the paper filters performed much better. There are a few die hard K&H fans out there though that beiieve theirs are better.
Paul

ZookFastback
Been here a while

Unread post by ZookFastback » May 6th, 2011, 6:03 pm

Here is the link to the Classic and Scientific validations for paper over foam filters...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

With snorkels, you can put on a Pre-filter and keep the paper filter or use a snorkel sock, which is washable.
Ian from Frankston :crazy:

Ordinary Jimnys go "Ok"
but Santana Jimnys go "Ole!"

It's hard to run like an Emu
when you are GIRT by Numbats

Jimmy10
Been here a while

Unread post by Jimmy10 » May 6th, 2011, 6:43 pm

Hmm looks like i'm chasing 0.14% extra air flow with the K&N filter haha nice link there zookfastback.
I was in two minds just keep an eye on the factory air filter and replace a little earlier than scheduled if needed or go the washable? I'm am still wondering why i fitted a snorkel to a petrol engine now... but it does look cool :)
Fun Size!

ZookFastback
Been here a while

Unread post by ZookFastback » May 6th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Snorkels are useful on petrol engines for a number of reasons.

Cooler air. Stock intake sucks from inside engine compartment
Cleaner air. Less dust when following other vehicles on dirt roads
Looks. A legitimate reason, if somewhat vain
Sound. Mine makes a lovely growling sound, probably due to the wrinkle pipe
Water crossing. Although I wouldn't go too deep into water and I always walk the pathway first. It is the only safe way to cross water.
Economy. Some people claim the colder air slightly decreases fuel consumption. (For myself, I find it slightly increases fuel consumption, cos I am inclined to push it a bit harder to listen to the growling sound) :o

Ordinary Jimnys go "Ok"

Jimmy10
Been here a while

Unread post by Jimmy10 » May 6th, 2011, 9:32 pm

haha Big up the sound! I get a mean tone around 3500-4500 RPM. It really resonates giving it a sporty sound.
I have no regrets with purchasing a snorkel and all the reasons are legit enough for me :) I have found that because i live in an area with alot of midgies that i have to bang the air cleaner out atleast weekly. The air in my fender is unfortunately cleaner :( I'm my scenario...
Fun Size!

jim_uzi
Here and there

Unread post by jim_uzi » May 6th, 2011, 11:41 pm

I found that the snorkel picked up heaps more dirt. To rectify i pulled of the little cross hatch girt and put a fly screen in fort of it a pop-rivet it back onto the snorkel head. It helped heaps. the bugs seem to fall off it and a lot less send go into the air box.
On the K&N I had one On my sierra and I was pulling the carbie of every 3 months cleaning the little air ports and the manifold just seem to build up in this fine baby powder type dust. Also I have heard by a few sources that they are only good for watercraft or track days on the race cars.
At $24 a air cleaner I rather replace mine pre-maturely that run a K&N. More are flow=less filtering.

Jimmy10
Been here a while

Unread post by Jimmy10 » May 9th, 2011, 11:22 pm

Cheers for the feedback guys, i think i will just replace the factory filter as needed. I like the idea of some fly screen. If i can come up with anything equally as cool i'll post reply. the cogs are turning :)
Fun Size!

Jason Jackaroo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jason Jackaroo » July 23rd, 2013, 2:31 pm

Use Some fly screen across the intake head either behind the grill , or under the head itself. Or for a quick fix pop a stocking over the head .

ZookFastback
Been here a while

Unread post by ZookFastback » July 23rd, 2013, 3:13 pm

I ended up getting a Pre-Filter (cost $22) for my snorkel and stayed with the paper filter. Now all the bugs and dust sit in the pre-filter and I just empty it regularly. The paper filter never seems to get grit or bugs now, although I still change it as scheduled because it is the grit you can't see (Micro-size) that kills engines. Here is a pic of me Jimny with the pre-filter fitted.

The Pre-filters come in a range of pot widths and throat sizes so you should be able to find one to suit.

Ordinary Jimnys go "Ok"

ZookFastback
Been here a while

Unread post by ZookFastback » July 23rd, 2013, 3:15 pm

Ordinary Jimnys go "Ok"