steering wobble

river runner
Here and there

steering wobble

Unread post by river runner » December 1st, 2010, 6:40 pm

hi guys
after installing a 3"lift (coils, shockies and panhard rods) into the jimny, the steering has developed a very bad wobble and is wobbeling frequently.
I have read that it could be the kingpin bearings, however the wobble only noticable after the lift.
I have also read that a 3" lift requires castor correction bushes. Do you think these would solve the poroblem?

thanks
ivan

gjb977
Getting to know the place

Re: steering wobble

Unread post by gjb977 » December 2nd, 2010, 6:28 am

G'Day, get the caster correction. Fixed my steering wobble after I got 40mm spring/shock increase.

My steering wobble was terrible...scared the hell out of me. The castor correction 100% fixed it.

Cheers.

river runner
Here and there

Unread post by river runner » December 2nd, 2010, 9:06 am

thanks
ill give it a go

river runner
Here and there

Unread post by river runner » December 2nd, 2010, 7:46 pm

took it for a drive after installing the bushes and it wobbled twice in about 10km so im stuck :cry:

jim_uzi
Here and there

Unread post by jim_uzi » December 3rd, 2010, 11:40 am

I had the same problem. The king pins are set with some free play to easy the steering feel when new.

Remember there is a non power steering model. The diffs get set up regardless if there is power steering or not so they set very little preload or even free play to make it easier to steer the cars with no P/S. There fore you have to up the pre load on the king pins to cope with the altered caster angle. Some brands of caster correction bushes don’t give you the full correction. Something to keep in mind.

river runner
Here and there

Unread post by river runner » December 4th, 2010, 8:58 pm

ok i checked the king pin bearing and they were stuffed so replacing them tomorrow and if the problem occures i might have to shim the.

thanks

river runner
Here and there

Unread post by river runner » December 7th, 2010, 6:15 pm

did the king pin bearings and still wobbles so ill probably remove the 3" lift and sell it, and probablly the car :cry:

dogbox
Been here a while

Unread post by dogbox » December 7th, 2010, 7:15 pm

before you go do something you might be sorry for
see if you can find a wheel alignment place that can do wheel balances on the veihicle

river runner
Here and there

Unread post by river runner » December 8th, 2010, 7:55 pm

if anyone is after the lift shoot me a PM

zukenutter
Here and there

Unread post by zukenutter » January 30th, 2011, 8:01 am

river runner wrote:if anyone is after the lift shoot me a PM
Gave up after a week of trying to fix it :confused:

I've got a thread on another forum that goes into this problem in a lot more detail. It also has a poll that shows that 70% of Jimny owners polled have had the wobble to some degree and 35% of those polled say it's reoccurred after being fixed. The problem can be fixed using a combination of fixes in the attached PDF, not all are necessary and vary from car to car. In my opinion, the thing that worked best in my case was to fit much tighter fitting rubber bushes at each end of the front Panhard, the rubber has a lip on the outside of the panhard which mates hard against the chassis mount removing heaps of movement/vibration.

Suzuki know this is a problem and although when you go to a dealer they'll say they know nothing. I have a scanned copy of a dealer service bulletin which states there's a problem and their suggested remedies. Unfortunately this Forum won't let me attach it (must be too big but I've posted it elsewhere) so drop me a PM and I'll give you a link.

Jimmy10
Been here a while

Unread post by Jimmy10 » January 31st, 2011, 1:12 pm

Hey bud,

I fitted a tough dog 3" lift o my 2010 Jimny. This left a large hole for new rubber i got the tyres fitted at the same time. I was chasing the wobble for a while but found the front tyres weren't balanced properly. I put BFG 235 all terrains and they just won't balance because i had them put on the factory alloys they are a bit narrow for the tyres. Oh well things we do for looks. I managed to get them all re-balanced and the best on the front.

Any way all i was saying is have you had your tyres checked and balanced because i was nearly driving off the road at 70/80kmh worst wobble i have ever experienced. keep the posts coming about castor correction as it may apply to my lift.

Also do you find with the lift the steering is skidish at speed on gravel. I'm investigating a return to center steering damper to keep things in check.

John
Fun Size!

Unread post by Guest » January 31st, 2011, 5:27 pm

One thing I was told the other day that I had never realized is that most places balance the wheels thru the centre hole and I was told the best way to balance a 4wd wheel is thru the stud holes as this is so much more accurate, and also, where I was taking my car for a balance they used stick-on weights that went on the centre of the rim but again I was told they do this so as not to damage the finish of the rim but to do it correctly it needs weight clipped to the edge of the rim where it will balance better.
Paul

zukenutter
Here and there

Unread post by zukenutter » January 31st, 2011, 6:07 pm

hermsie62 wrote:One thing I was told the other day that I had never realized is that most places balance the wheels thru the centre hole and I was told the best way to balance a 4wd wheel is thru the stud holes as this is so much more accurate, and also, where I was taking my car for a balance they used stick-on weights that went on the centre of the rim but again I was told they do this so as not to damage the finish of the rim but to do it correctly it needs weight clipped to the edge of the rim where it will balance better.
I've found this to be true. Last time I had balancing done weights were put on both sides of the rim which gave a much better result. I agree with the centre hole thing as well.
Jimmy10 wrote:Also do you find with the lift the steering is skidish at speed on gravel. I'm investigating a return to center steering damper to keep things in check.
Corrected caster will fix that and the steering will naturally RTC

zukenutter
Here and there

Unread post by zukenutter » February 3rd, 2013, 7:23 am

Tried most of those fixes, in the end IMO positive caster angle is the key. Even factory caster angle needs some positive rotation.

ZookFastback
Been here a while

Unread post by ZookFastback » February 5th, 2013, 7:01 am

I've never had the "wobble" and have had my Jimny soft-top since new, 2001. My tyres are Nankang Toursport 215 x 65 R15's and the ride is very comfortable and stable at all speeds. I tour Oz regularly and often meet up with fellow Jimny drivers. It seems that the Spanish-built ragtops might have a slightly different front geometry because there doesn't seem to be the "Wobble" in them. Maybe some expert could compare the difference (if any?) and that may bring a successful conclusion to the problem.

Ian from Frankston :crazy:

Ordinary Jimnys go "Ok"
but Santana Jimnys go "Ole!"

It's hard to run like an Emu
when you are GIRT by Numbats

Return to “Jimny”