Vit 1.6 Carb to EFI worth the swap?

Eryk96
I'm new, be nice!

Vit 1.6 Carb to EFI worth the swap?

Unread post by Eryk96 » February 2nd, 2016, 3:41 am

Hi, I currently own a honda prelude 1993 and I've put about 4k worth of repairs into the engine etc. to get it to a good state it's in now, anyway I know I wouldn't get more than 3.5k - 4k if I was to put it up on gumtree because of interior tlc. aircon, breaks need doing soon etc. anyway getting to the point of my post, I am really interested in this 1994 1.6L Vitara JX 3door on gumtree up for swaps, only downside is its carby and as I do a driving job (dominos delivery) I wouldn't swear by it (I'm no expert but I know fuel injection is the way to go especially for daily onroad).
Basically I would still be interested in the swap I spoke with the guy and he said he would be happy to even throw some cash my way (keeping in mind we still haven't met up and seen each other's cars in person) but even if not straight away I would definitely want to do a swap to the G16B engine down the track (few months after assuming its costly) I've done a fair bit of research through this forum and few others and most topics are on the sierra swaps etc. Now I have a few things I really need cleared up, I've seen I could pick up a Baleno with G16B for fairly cheap (guessing I have to go with manual because of different ECU for auto), what other expenses am I looking at, I've read I will need efi vitara extractors or wildcat extractors? or is this only for sierras? also modify the sump? or could I swap it over? also what parts from the baleno would need to be swapped, I've read the air intake, MAP etc. need to be swapped over to get rid of the distributor all together, also I would need a vitara efi tank with the fuel pump inside to avoid a messy fuel line set up going under the car, the efi vitara VVS? or does the baleno have it too? Also does the thermostat still need to be modded? Basically I would need a baleno donor manual 1.6l (I do want the coil pack version, do they start at 2000 or earlier?) Also would I need to go wreckers and pick up the Vitara efi dash cluster, the extractors and the fuel tank with pump? Would picking up the efi thermostat housing make things easier? Keeping in mind I've had no experience with zooks and the most I do with cars is keep up maintanance like oils, oil filter and air filter and whatever I can find a video tutorial for as long as it looks the exact same or requires basic logic. I am however really keen on this car as it's an opportunity, I've wanted to get a sierra for ages but the no aircon has been putting me off as I drive in heat alot, this vit has aircon, larger engine for on road, just something I would be interested in keeping and going offroad.

If someone could please read my entire post and tell me whether I am right about any of these things and what I need to get exactly for this swap I'd really appreciate it.
I am trying to see how much $$ I have to save up and if I can source all the parts easily rather than turning it into a year long project, I want to keep it as stock looking as possible (no lines under car) and don't mind spending an extra $100 or 200 to get the proper part and make it more reliable in the long run as I have no fabrication experience.
Also along with the parts I need to get, does anyone know a place in Perth that could do the work for me, preferably really experienced and not too expensive.
Also is it all worth it? if I swap with $500 my way am I gonna spend another 2-3k to just get it converted? would it be easier to lowball my car for 2.5-3k and just get an efi one when it pops up? most i see are autos tho :/
Thanks in advance, and glad to be a part of this forum, the more I learn the more I'll share

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Vit 1.6 Carb to EFI worth the swap?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 2nd, 2016, 6:50 am

Hi Eryk, welcome to the Forum.

Can you clear up one thing for me please? Do you want to use this 'converted to EFI Vitara' as your Domino's Delivery vehicle? Cos if you do, you are aware that it's probably not going to be the best or most economical vehicle choice you could make, aren't you? 4WD's, even small zippy 4WD's, tend to be set-up. & geared so they work OK off road at the expense of on road comfort/economy/driving - I'd be surprised if even an EFI Vitara was more economical than a Prelude in reasonable engine/driveline condition - the chassis & body combo will be heavier, the gearing aimed more at off roading/crawling than economical on road driving, & the tyres & suspension will probably be better suited to low speed rough track work, so basically all around you'll be working against the vehicles strengths!!

Add to that the propensity for vehicles that get used off road a lot to break things while they are out there in the rough stuff, then I'd suggest that if you are planning on using the Vitara as your delivery vehicle and taking it off road for a bit of fun on the weekends/time off etc too, then you'll end up with a more costly & less reliable vehicle all around. Putting it bluntly, if having a vehicle that looks OK & will be cheap to run as well as guaranteed to be running & on the road every day of the week is important to you, then a small off roader isn't going to be the best choice, especially if you plan on taking it out bush too often!! Nice idea, but far more likely to cost you in fuel economy & post trip reliability - 4Wheeling can be tough on cars, & the smaller (& cheaper) 4WD's tend to show it more & more often in the time needed off the road after every off road session to fix the bits you broke last time you were out..... & those bits are often panels or important driveline components (ie vehicle stoppers!) Sorry! :(
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Eryk96
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Vit 1.6 Carb to EFI worth the swap?

Unread post by Eryk96 » February 2nd, 2016, 3:04 pm

Ah, yeah well I have an automatic camry that I am using for work atm its a V6 so really thirsty and have to keep topping off oil and coolant but it works, I am aware of the fuel factor and thats not an issue, the gearing is fine as I only do areas 50-70km/h, I do know of the costs included but if I do get a 4wd I would keep up the maintenance of diff oils, gearbox oils, transfercase oils, engine oils, filters etc. myself, I've owned a bravo before and took a 2.5k loss when the clutch broke and I had no money to invest and had to get rid of it for $700 at the time, the real issue is the carby conversion, I've read that I would be looking at 2-3k just parts for doing it myself which is way more than I expected to spend, also the owner just messaged me saying he is not willing to chuck in $500 because of bills so I think I will have to give this one a pass and wait out till I sell my prelude so I can get an already fuel injected vit. I do however prefer a 4x4, even small in terms of comfort as the prelude is lowered and getting in and out of it many times at work isn't the best (reason I got the camry).
Thank you for your reply tho I kind of needed it to burst the hype of owning a 4wd soon and now I can just put my car up and spend the $$ better on a car with no work to do.

Return to “Vitara / X90”