Got my Lic, now what's the laws re lifting my 96 Vitara?

zook001
I'm new, be nice!

Got my Lic, now what's the laws re lifting my 96 Vitara?

Unread post by zook001 » December 1st, 2012, 7:51 am

hey all i was hoping for some advice i have recently gotten my license and can finally mod my car though im not sure how to go about it and the laws around it all any help would be nice.

DarkHorse
Been here a while

Re: Got my Lic, now what's the laws re lifting my 96 Vitara?

Unread post by DarkHorse » December 1st, 2012, 3:30 pm

What state are you in?
LWB or SWB, V6, 2.0L or 1.6L?
What sort of driving do you do?

Short answer for most states is the standard 35-40mm lifts are fine legally. Check out Old Man Emu, Tough Dog, Dobinsons for good quality gear, in rough order of expense. For budget stuff look at Ironman or EFS.

The only longer struts on the market that I know of are OME and Dobinsons.

For really cheap options you can get spring and strut spacers and shock relocators - doesn't increase your suspension travel at all but gives you a bit more room for bigger tyres.

You should get a set of 235/75R15 tyres on standard rims with no clearance issues. Any bigger and you'll need wider rims and either a body lift or some grinding/hammering of guards. You're also into engineering territory if you want to go that big.

Figure out what you want out of the car, how far you want to go, how much money you want to spend. Anything is possible, but the further you go the more related issues you'll run into.

zook001
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by zook001 » December 2nd, 2012, 10:43 am

thanks mate im in nsw its a swb with a 1.6 in it what does getting it engineered involve as i was hoping to go around the 4inch mark. most of the driving i do is offroad as i prefer a roadbike to a car unless its raining

DarkHorse
Been here a while

Unread post by DarkHorse » December 2nd, 2012, 4:44 pm

Engineering is a bit tricky at the moment with the RTA going through a name change and the new VSCCS system and NCOP yada yada yada. Basically it's a case of talking to one of the listed approved engineers about the mods you are planning, then once it's done they will inspect and sign off on it.

When you say 4" are you talking just suspension, or body lift and tyres as well? There is no off-the-shelf 4" suspension for a Vitara, and there is no way the front end would cope with it if there was. There is a 3.5" kit available in the states, but I don't know of anyone here who's done it, and I doubt you'd get it approved anyway.

Calmini does a 3", which includes new control arms all round, diff drop brackets, springs, shocks and struts (which are rubbish). Expensive, but it's the only way to get more than 2" out of the suspension.

Grand Vitara lifted suspension components will raise a standard Vit about 3", but is a rough ride unless you're adding quite a bit of weight (bar, winch etc)

A 2" body lift is pretty simple, and is the best way to increase clearance for tyres without cutting panels. Requires engineering.

With a 2+2 lift and a little bit of guard/firewall work you can fit 31" tyres, but the gearing becomes pretty average.

daddyoskustomgarage
Here and there

Unread post by daddyoskustomgarage » July 16th, 2013, 1:19 am

Hi mate I'm running the calmini 3.5 inch kit in mine it's great except for the shocks , as for engineering i can be done but at a cost , i had to do a swerve test with involves hiring a race track or test track 150 per day , a cams approved driver (the engineer chooses them) i have my cams and they wouldn't let me do it ,cost 100 , then the paperwork filing charge all all$450 and transport pit inspection 117 all up $817 and that was just the suspension not wheels ..... 31s rant legal here in tags on a vitara we can only have 10% type increase ..... times are tuff

Return to “Vitara / X90”