lack of power on hills in vitara ?

dieselboy
Here and there

lack of power on hills in vitara ?

Unread post by dieselboy » March 18th, 2012, 6:10 pm

i took my 93 vitara to qld this weekend via pacific highway id get part the way up a hill sitting on 100kmh and it would slow down i had to drop it back to 4th to get more revs to get up the hill my vitara is a 1.6 litre with 5 speed manual in it do any of you guys have same problem or is there somthing wrong with my motor ?
fertilize the forrest bulldoze a greenie

Barnster
Here and there

Re: lack of power on hills in vitara ?

Unread post by Barnster » March 22nd, 2012, 11:52 am

No that sound about right.But it depends on how loaded up the Vit is aswell.I have the EFI model.By myself,unloaded great,but once you put 4 people etc in,then that's when you feel it up hills or sloping roads.

dieselboy
Here and there

Unread post by dieselboy » March 22nd, 2012, 4:50 pm

was only me and my girlfriend and 2 overnight bags so i wouldnt say it was loaded up might see if changing the plugs air filter and oil see if that makes a difference

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 22nd, 2012, 5:54 pm

Nope dieselboy, that IS loaded for a Vitara, and what you describe is pretty well standard for a Vitara too. They really don't like being forced to hold 5th gear at speed up the slightest incline or even into a head wind when they are empty, let alone pretty full like that!! Two adults and NO luggage is getting close to full for them! And 5th gear is an overdrive that is aimed at letting you drop cruising revs, not climbing inclines or hills. You probly would have been better to drop back to 4th before starting the climb at all - and don't forget that those engines do like to rev and drive in the top third of their rev range, they are pretty peaky motors power & torque wise. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

dieselboy
Here and there

Unread post by dieselboy » March 23rd, 2012, 4:55 pm

now i can say i learnt somthing today peter once i got halfway up and it died in revs i dropped her back to 4th but made the mistake of going back to 5th shouldve stayed in 4th

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 23rd, 2012, 5:05 pm

Yeah, 5th isn't intended for use on anything except very flat ground, and once you come to a hill you should be into 4th (or lower) and stay there until you are running down the other side! ;)

At least the Vitara will travel reasonably at 100kph, I've had (& driven loooong kms in) a number of vehicles that were designed to run at 80 kph, and anything over that was pure flat ground tail wind bonus!! These things would all do 80 kph anywhere, up hill down dale, over rough ground or on the freeway, loaded or empty, but you had to stir the gearbox and keep the revs up all the time you'd be down to 2nd or even 1st on a long hill!!

Work out what your torque band is on the engine, then keep it in the top THIRD, as soon as it drops into the middle third or before you get to a hill you should be looking at changing down and sticking it to it then staying there until you are up towards the top end of that top third of the torque band - altho there isn't a heap of point in going past where the torque curve drops off unless you are on flat ground, it's all revs, wear, and no real gain when you are under load or climbing. So keep it in the torque band, don't ever drop out of it, and you might find you motor along a lot better and could even get better fuel economy too - I know a lot of the other vehicles that do just that. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Dodgy Dave
Been here a while

Unread post by Dodgy Dave » April 27th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Yep, Pretty much what Mr Peter has said. Going up big hills keep it in the power band and hope no one cuts you off causing you to slow down.

I drove my Vit to Fraser from the Sth coast of NSW, very loaded for a 2 week camping trip + towing a camper trailer. Sitting on 100kph @ 3500rpm most of the time, It did it suprisingly well, I gave it a decent service before leaving and used premium fuel to help, At times it shocked me that I was the one doing the overtaking and each time gaving the zook a well deserved pat on the dash. But as we all know QLD's are a little slow.. :P

Larger tyre's will also slow you down.

offroadjack
Part of the furniture

Unread post by offroadjack » March 21st, 2013, 10:47 am

larger tires will def slow things down a fair bit more and like peter said, they love to rev and happy to go to that redline no probs!
i found my V6 starts singing at 3000 rpm all the way to the 6450 cut out..
you don't have to take it there but keep it in that rev range where you know she's gonna pull her hardest.

Rigger64
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Rigger64 » August 31st, 2014, 3:56 pm

Yes would have to agree about the dropping out of 5th on a hill.
Mine is on LPG (Direct Injection) which has gained me some extra torque & i have found that my Little Girl loves to sit around the 3200- 5500 RPM range.
It's quite funny to see the look on a V8 Drivers face when you go zipping past them just off the line, Mind you im running on LPG with 30" tyres, But as for hills drop it back & give i foot full of Right Foot they just love it.
P.S. I Have a 1996 1.6L Vit
I like it Dirty.
If in Doute Don't go Flat Out

Return to “Vitara / X90”