Suspension lift - cv joints?

dandaman
Getting to know the place

Suspension lift - cv joints?

Unread post by dandaman » January 23rd, 2012, 7:17 pm

G'day guys,

Just looking at a suspension lift and tossing up between 2" or 3" lift my main question being how much impact will it make on the cv wear and tear and the difference in running costs. Cv's currently due to be replaced and being out on the track the stock standard height just isnt cutting it although still loads of fun, thank God she is light and easy. I'm running a '94 lwb vitara with no custom gear bar extractors, tyres and lift kit being on top of lift after repairs. This is also my daily driver and do frequent highway travel too, any suggestions or advice would be awesome.

cheers

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Re: Suspension lift - cv joints?

Unread post by Mungrel » January 23rd, 2012, 7:53 pm

2" suspension lift seems to be the normal cv joint acceptable limit for the bigger 4wds, i suspect the same sorts of rules apply to the zooks as well. (Better safe than sorry eh?) Plus, a 2 inch lift will make a huge difference off road without making it scary around bends. (just my 2c)

Hope thats of some help.

Forgot to mention, if you find that after the 2" lift you're still getting stuck, at the very least it will have made room for some bigger rubber :D
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

Dicky73
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Dicky73 » January 28th, 2013, 9:20 pm

Lowrange offroad in the usa do diff drop kits+ lift kits for the vits
Just don't get there 3inch body lifts not the best.
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/

offroadjack
Part of the furniture

Unread post by offroadjack » March 21st, 2013, 10:41 am

i just fitted a 2" bodyift from BYE products(see e-bay or business section on auszookers ) and cost you 220 from memorie.
it comes with instructions and is easy to fit. get a carton of beer and a mate and you'll knock it in in a morning...or better, afternoon if you want to go on the cans :lol:
i have the wider body V6 vitara and had to do a few more things to get it in but the earlier models are a piece o cake.
if you have a centre console in yours then you have to get rid of that or re-shape your gearsticks.
it gives you a 2" lift that has no impact on your cv's.
after that you can get another inch from suspension if you want and should be pretty ok with your cv's.
now you can fit 29 or 30" rubber which gives you another 3 or 4" ground clearance as standard wheel/tyres are around the 26".
don't go overboard on big tires (31"+) as you'll have massive gearing issues.
this is the cheapest way of lifting that vit but if you have cash the mods you can get for them are endless!
"prozook4x4" and "auszookers" are you best options to get all the info you want.

Return to “Vitara / X90”