what other motor will fit in my vitara?

brando93
I'm new, be nice!

what other motor will fit in my vitara?

Unread post by brando93 » August 29th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Hey guys, new to the forum. Just got my hands on a 2 door 1989 Vitara hardtop for the bargain price of nothing Unfortunately it has done almost 300 000 kilometres on the original motor and has put a hole in the block.

So the engine is a throw away, and i plan on putting a reconditioned or better condition motor in. Ive done a bit of research but cant seem to narrow down what motors will fit straight into my model Vitara.

At the moment my plan is to go with an engine that will bolt straight in and suit the gearbox and what not that the car came with. Can you give me your opinions on what the best option is for replacing the motor is, what motors will fit etc.

I have read that the suzuki swift of the same era was the same motor? And the same with the holden barina. Id deffinately be open to straying away from the original 1.6 if a 1.8 or 2.0 or anything else bolts straight in so tell me everything you know, im all ears

cheers,
Brandon

Brumby Boy
I'm new, be nice!

Re: what will fit in my vitara?

Unread post by Brumby Boy » December 18th, 2011, 10:11 am

unfortunately I'm new to the Suzuki myself so don't take what I say as gospel. If you handy with the tools you could get another 1.6 for it and do the EFI conversion form a 4door or later model, also you could bolt up the 2.0 V6 motor, again you would need to add all the EFI components, however I don't know if the bell housing is the same so you would have to check that and possibly get the gearbox to suit, some wreckers may take your gearbox and transfer as a part trade on the V6 drive line. There is also a company that makes an adapter to take a VW golf diesel motor called ACME adapters, Google them if your interested...

just some food for thought.

turbo 1hz
Been here a while

Unread post by turbo 1hz » December 19th, 2011, 2:59 pm

i put a 3.8 v6 comdore motor in mine. with the turbo 700 to a hilux transfer with crawler gears in mine. it is on a comp truck/ buggy though

TDF41
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by TDF41 » December 20th, 2011, 9:40 am

sorry i would stay away from the 2l V6 - I would put a 2L 4cyl in your swb, but if you wanted to mode it more you could go the GV 2.5L. saying that both engine conversions would be suited to a body lift to give the engines some room.

Barnster
Here and there

Unread post by Barnster » March 22nd, 2012, 11:56 am

turbo 1hz, just a Curious question. How difficult was it to do this conversion,and what is the difference in performance compared to the standard 1.6litre.

plumb
Part of the furniture

Re: what other motor will fit in my vitara?

Unread post by plumb » February 21st, 2013, 8:37 am

brando93

Keep us posted hey mate my daughter has a 1.6 /94 model with a stuffed head.Finding another head that is not worth more then the car is like finding an honest politician

krdavis
Here and there

Unread post by krdavis » June 7th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Ive just finished a complete restoration of a SWB Vitara. This included the removal of the carby 1.6 and the fitting of a 16v EFI. The motor I got was from a wrecker and had a stuffed head. I rebuilt it totally and sourced a brand new head for it. It's a fairly expensive process, but really worth it. There are however a few things that you need to consider...
1- The fuel tank needs to be swapped out for one from an EFI car as the fuel pump is submerged in EFI.
2- you need to locate and fit fuel filter and mod the pipework (ever so slightly)
One good thing here is the Carby cars have the wiring already in place for the EFI Fuel Pump.
3- engine bay needs some mods to include brackets for the air filter (simple)
4- wiring needs to be done - My engine cam from a 4door and needed a lot of work. JLX has electric windows and this all needed to be converted, plugs changed, etc.

In the end though you would have a great car - the EFI is a lot more powerful.

here is a photo of the engine bay - it has dual batteries, ARB compressor, and a few other mods and accessories .. but this is now basically a new engine - everything was pretty much replaced for new ...

PM me if you want more info.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daddyoskustomgarage
Here and there

Unread post by daddyoskustomgarage » July 16th, 2013, 1:05 am

I just purchased a acme adaptor kit (1.9 diesel kit) being a Volkswagen nut i wanted to to stick with my roots , vw engines 4cyl water cooled engines have the same bolt pattern along with the audi a4 I'm fitting a audi 1.8t bam engine to mine ( easier to fit because it's already rear wheel drive setup ) using this kit it cost me

Acme basic kit $467 with freight
Audi a4 1.8 turbo with loom, intercooler and everything else needed $ 1000
Custom piping ebay $100
Exhaust 3" $ 299

1866 so far i should get out of it for 2500 give or take (not bad considering I'll get 150kw 200nm ) tuNed down.

I'm fitting it myself
Really though mines only a toy and I'm expecting to bust alot of stuff , if you want a daily drive with more snap (i had this setup in my sierra) run g16b efi and fit a saab turbo with a log manifold make sure u use intercooler 2.5 " exhaust 10.1 raising rate fuel pressure regulator this will give you plenty of poke 140hp i got 0n 7psi , it was reliable fun and cheap to run i did 20,000 ks without a hitch until i got power hungry anyway

Return to “Vitara / X90”