New tyre time - stepping up in size?

LJ, SJ
SlowRide
Here and there

New tyre time - stepping up in size?

Unread post by SlowRide » October 24th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Hi all. Time to change the tyres on my Sierra. Currently running BF Goodrich T/A 215/75/15s on stock rims (15x5.5?), but the rubber is old and cracked and only fit for the dump, the rims are equal parts rust and paint too. Got me through RWC, but bad rubber = lack of safety in a tin can Sierra.

I just priced up 5x replacement BFGs and almost had a stroke when told the quote. And looking around there's bugger all tyre options for 15" rims anymore. I'm thinking of moving to 16x6 or 16x7s, but that means i'll be ditching 215s for 235s. Kinda new to Sierras - can I do this without and running into the problem of scrubbing or needing guard extensions? Is it legal? Do I need to factor in rim offset? IS it a change that will need me investigate a gearing change? And what sorta change to fuel consumption is likely?

I noticed the new Maxxis 980 tyres at the local shop and the tread looks like it's cloned off a BFG which is probably the perfect tread for me. But, the closest I can find to my current size is 235/70/16. Is it worth upsizing? I know most blokes go for much bigger rubber on their zooks but that requires more mods than i'm willing, and Sierras go just fine on smaller rubber. But it looks like 15" rims are fast going the way of the dodo.

I do a lot of suburb/highway commute driving in it, the missus uses it as a shopping trolley, gets used to take the dogs to the beach every other day, and maybe once or twice a month it'll step of the road for a good bash at whatever I can find. Fresh mud is the only thing I avoid.

What do you reckon? Which option makes most sense in 2013? Lumping the cost of BFGs or upsizing to 16" rims and 235s?

SlowRide
Here and there

Re: New tyre time - stepping up in size?

Unread post by SlowRide » October 26th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Gee - no replies?

N.T.
Been here a while

Unread post by N.T. » November 27th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Mate I just bought a new set of tyres for my zook and had no problems at all with 15 inch rims. If you mostly commute and shop in it with the odd bush bash here and there I would just increase your tyre size by roughly an inch this will give you a little more clearance possible better highway fuel consumption and fit with no modding to your vehicle. Keep them as narrow as you can. Im running faulken wild peak AT's and find them very good value. Not to aggressive but still plenty of grip offroad.

southern zooker
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by southern zooker » January 2nd, 2014, 7:51 pm

235/70/15 is a very common size

loch7791
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by loch7791 » January 21st, 2014, 11:26 am

Go put some 15x7 or even 15x8 rims on with some 31x10.5's on there BFG All terrains for that size rim are about $230 each fitted.

Return to “Sierra”