1997 SJ80 Coily Shocks, What good quality gear is there?

LJ, SJ
DylanSJ80
I'm new, be nice!

1997 SJ80 Coily Shocks, What good quality gear is there?

Unread post by DylanSJ80 » March 5th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Looking for a good quality shock to replace the stock shocks in my Sierra SJ80 Sierra, not many companies make a shock for coil sprung front and rear sierra's i.e. SJ80.

Not interested in Ebay brands looking for a good quality one, if anyone can help me out with some suggestions would be much appreciated.
Tried OME and Tough dog, tough dog no longer makes a shock for this model due to some structural fault with the car body itself.

dude!
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 1997 SJ80 Coily Shocks, HELP!

Unread post by dude! » March 6th, 2013, 11:04 am

Snake racing advertise they have rancho 5000's for front and rear. When I contacted them they said they didn't exist might be worth a call regardless

whincup
Been here a while

Re: 1997 SJ80 Coily Shocks, HELP!

Unread post by whincup » March 9th, 2013, 7:09 am

i had the adjustable version of the ranchos... im sure they'd be great on a 2+ ton car, but on a sierra they are extremely rough over bumps and rough terrain, and they severely limit flex. this is on the softest setting, and also on a leaf sprung LWB, coily may be different but i doubt it...

sgalliani
Here and there

Re: 1997 SJ80 Coily Shocks, What good quality gear is there?

Unread post by sgalliani » November 29th, 2013, 12:50 pm

What about the OME?

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.ph ... hocks.html

I don't know if those shocks will fit on ours Coily Zooks!

Zookdriver
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Zookdriver » December 9th, 2013, 8:50 am

As you guys know, there isn't a lot of after market products for the SJ80. There are a few options when it comes to shock absorbers for the SJ80, though it does depend on the suspension. KYB offer a shock for the stock spring and Ultima offer a shock for a 30-40mm raised spring for the SJ80.

I have researched the Rancho option for my SJ80 and I have concluded that they aren't officially designed for the Zook. Snake Racing in Australia advertise them for the SJ80 but on the US site, there isn't a Rancho shock available for the coil sprung Zook. This is also the case for most of the shock absorbers offered for the Sierra, most likely being designed for the leaf sprung vehicle.

There are other options though, for those who want a decent shock for the Zook. I have just ordered a rear set of Koni's which have been designed for another vehicle, though match the requirements of the SJ80. I have got a King raised spring with increased spring rate on the rear, so a shock to match was essential for long trips. Only the top bush was required to be replaced. If anyone is interested, I'll can let you know how they perform.

sgalliani
Here and there

Unread post by sgalliani » December 10th, 2013, 2:04 am

I'm interested!

Return to “Sierra”