Basic Sierra mods....

LJ, SJ
ezzy
Here and there

Basic Sierra mods....

Unread post by ezzy » August 16th, 2011, 8:48 pm

hey guys i'm eyeing off a few zooks at the moment to maybe replace my 4runner. i need something cheaper to run to and from work and was looking at a 1991 model that is fairly stock.

so basically i want to know how what height lift plus tyre size will make it a fun weekend car while still being a capable daily driver. i dont want a comp truck guys, just a good all rounder that looks staunch :D

whincup
Been here a while

Re: Basic Sierra mods....

Unread post by whincup » August 16th, 2011, 10:57 pm

my sierra ran 2" suspension lift and 215/75R15 tyres (about 28") for a while, and i followed landcruisers and patrols on 33's... but you should be able to get a 30" tyre under the 2" lift. with some grinding and "massaging" of panels, 31's fit without lifting higher. but with that, you definitely need reduction gears, as your going something like 15-20% longer gears overall... basically using low range everywhere 4wding, and forget 5th gear on the highways! plus my speedos so far out that when it says 85km/h is when im doing 100

i still havent sorted out gears for my 31's yet :)

ezzy
Here and there

Unread post by ezzy » August 17th, 2011, 10:45 am

sounds right up my alley. is the 2'' lift via new springs or shackles? 30'' sounds pretty sweet but will i need reduction gears for them too?

SierraDan
Been here a while

Unread post by SierraDan » August 18th, 2011, 8:15 pm

2" spring lift. Dont use extended shackles without using longer leaves which is more work.
SO get a 2" spring lift and depending on tyre size extend your bumpstops. And get some reduction gears.

I have a 2" spring lift, 30mm extended bumpstops in the front (rear is fine), and have a 1ltr transfer which is a 12% reduction. But am about to buy 6.5:1 reduction gears. WHich is about 20% reduction in high(about bang on for cruisy road driving) and 187% in low range(great for what i do)

ezzy
Here and there

Unread post by ezzy » August 19th, 2011, 1:41 pm

well, just picked the car up yesterday. 1990 1.3L softop converted into a ute. extractors, bucket seats, new pedders shocks, toughdog RTC steering dampener and a couple of other odds and ends, zero rust, new engine, gearbox and axle seals all round etc. for the princely sum of $2800. she's got high K's though (a bit over 400,000) but was apparently overhauled about 80,000km's ago. she's stock height and running 235/75/15 HT's. when i sell my 4runner i'll be investing in some Bighorns, driving lights and lifted springs. she's struggling to get 90km though... its probably due to the engines age (maybe tyre size?) but can i do anything to get an extra bit of zip out of her?

oh, and its all been engineered too.

whincup
Been here a while

Unread post by whincup » August 21st, 2011, 8:06 am

remember, those tyres are about a 2 inches over stock, so 90 on the speedo is close to 100. sierras certainly arent known for their power, i can do about 110 but i have to use 4th gear on the highway, and there goes the fuel economy. without going down the route of engine swaps or rebuilds, i'd look at getting the carby rebuild, and a general tune up. ie: replace spark plugs, leads, timing adjusted, etc.

SierraDan
Been here a while

Unread post by SierraDan » August 21st, 2011, 10:19 am

Gearing. before power. Do you plan on going bigger in tyre size? If so how big?
But on those tyres 4.9:1 reduction gears will make it drive a bit nicer.

ezzy
Here and there

Unread post by ezzy » August 21st, 2011, 8:32 pm

Sierradan, i'm happy with the tyre size i have no intention of going bigger.

Whincup: when i say 90kmph, i mean 80kmph on my speedo. and as soon as i hit a hill the speed just wipes off. i'm talking slotting back to 3rd doing 50 up a hill with me and the missus in the car.

the leads are new, looks like its got a re-co head and brand new head gasket. the plugs look a little tired though, so i'm gunna replace them plus a new rotor button and dizzy cap (she has a small miss). i'll get the timing etc. looked at too. reckon it'll be worthwhile getting valve clearances checked while i'm at it?

i dont wanna do a million kmph, just i wanna bit more speed up hills so i dont embarrass myself :D

where should i look for my reduction gears?

SierraDan
Been here a while

Unread post by SierraDan » August 22nd, 2011, 1:50 pm

4.16's will work well then. But the whole hill thing, thats just suzuki sierra for ya haha. get a 1.6 EFI motor for more punch. But gearing will help alot. And be better offroad.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.ph ... gears.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ezzy
Here and there

Unread post by ezzy » August 22nd, 2011, 8:35 pm

i was toying with the whole engine swap idea but at the end of the day its one more thing on the list i dont have money for.

reduction gears sound good though, and cheap enough really. do they drop straight in or does the transfer case housing need modification?

first thing on the list other than the reduction gears: basket, then spotties then tyres.

SierraDan
Been here a while

Unread post by SierraDan » August 22nd, 2011, 8:58 pm

power isnt the answer to big tyres though as some think. gearing is much better.

I think the 4.16's go straight in. 6.5's you need to grind a little bit of the case.

tommysierra
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by tommysierra » August 9th, 2014, 10:20 pm

Hi guys I'm currently looking at buying a sierra also as my first 4x4 as I've been going out on tracks with my house mate and really enjoying it, I'm only young (21) and would like to know some good decent sites for a few different mods for sierras like bull bsrs , rock sliders, roll cages, lift kits or coils etc.. I've tried googling a bit but mostly comes up with sierras for sale or eBay etc.. So any feedback would be much appreciated, thank you guys, tom.

Indy Hepburn
Need to get out more

Unread post by Indy Hepburn » August 10th, 2014, 4:27 pm

A little bit rough around the edges but good info and tech is a Site called Auszookers.. :thumb:
if in doubt more right foot!

Return to “Sierra”