Jeep Commander CRD servicing costs

Commander, Patriot, Military Jeep
wildspaces
Getting to know the place

Jeep Commander CRD servicing costs

Unread post by wildspaces » October 16th, 2007, 6:27 pm

Just got our 3.0 CRD commander back from its 20,000 service. When we bought it the salesman said each service would be about $300-400. So far both the 10k and 20k service have been over $750 and all the dealer has done is check things and change the oil, oil filter and fuel filter. The oil itself was $280 for 9 litres of mobil 1 delvac! Bloody hell - I priced Delvac a few months back it is was only around $225 for a 20l drum from the distributor and that was just the walk in price not with any trade/wholesale discount.

Is this normal or are these guys really having a lend of us?

JEEPCHIK
Here and there

Unread post by JEEPCHIK » October 17th, 2007, 8:06 am

The oil price is a bit crazy.Our Mobil 1 prices are $20.20 per litre, which is bloody expensive but it is synthetic oil and I have no say over how much the price of oil is.The prices you are being charged for servicing sounds pretty normal to me if a little pricey.It's best to talk to the service department and find out things like the costs for the next services coming up,how much their hourly rate is and maybe start supplying your own oil and parts.It would help with keeping the costs down and it will give you an idea of what the actual servicing costs will be in the future.Sales guys are just that, sales guys and they often don't do their homework when it comes to servicing costs.:crazy: They just want to sell you a car.Not that they are all like that.You also have to remember, your engine is a Merc product and nearly everything with Merc products are expensive:cry:
:truck: A jeeps not dirty until you can't see out the windows

Irk
Been here a while

Unread post by Irk » October 17th, 2007, 8:23 am

Thats over $7.50 for every 100km traveled in service costs !!! WOW So if you get 500km to a tank its costing about $40 in service fees , lucky you im glad im not afflicted with the jeep thing. But seeing you got so much money to burn I have a real cheap bridge in Sydney im trying to get rid of if your interested?:D

jeeptheone
Been here a while

Unread post by jeeptheone » October 20th, 2007, 9:58 am

I get my Grand CRD serviced at Albion Jeep and it costs me on average $300 per service and I am up to 40000 Km's.

JTO

Big_Waity
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Big_Waity » October 20th, 2007, 10:04 am

It's a Jeep thing, I'm very glad I don't understand...
lol
Sounds waaayyyyy too expensive for a service to me. Have they given a full breakdown of the expenses?
Currently walking...

wildspaces
Getting to know the place

Unread post by wildspaces » October 24th, 2007, 11:08 am

They gave me a breakdown. Labour $275, fuel filter $102, oil filter $38, hose clamps $17, oil $330 and then some misc crap made up the rest.

I normally do all my own servicing so I'm pretty surprised by the cost. My previous car was a VP commodore that I kept in absolute show room condition for 10 years and 120,000k's and my total costs over those years including plugs, leads, synthetic oil, a couple of sets of coil packs and a new cat back exhaust, and 02 sensor, misc suspension bushings etc came to less than the price of two bloody services on the Commander.

I spoke to the salesman I bought the car off and he queried the service guys who said that they charge retail plus 30% for the oil. I wonder who else in the ACT can service Jeeps without voiding the factory warranty?

The service manager is supposed to be calling me to 'please explain' but as per usual I haven't heard anything from the guy.

JEEPCHIK - if you're being charged $20/l for the oil then I'd just head down the local Mobil distributor and buy it in a 20l drum. Without a trade discount its only a little over $10/l.

I'll certainly be supplying my own oil in future.

itchyvet
Here and there

Servicing Rip Offs.

Unread post by itchyvet » October 24th, 2007, 10:11 pm

Hmmm, So Chrysler is also getting onto the band wagon of servicing rip offs ?
Interesting indeed.
However, the price you've paid for your service is chicken feed compared to what my son in law paid for his last service at his Nissan dealer.
Something like $1,700 would you believe, and it's NOT a Mercedes nor does it have synthetic oil.
In fact, I've had a Auto industry worker confide to me, there's very little profit margin in selling new autos, the big moneymaker is in.........SERVICING.
Let's face it though, seriously, how can anyone justify charging huge amounts of money when all they do is change oil/fuel filters which usually takes around half an hour, and 99% of the time is done by an under paid apprentice who is receiving chicken ***** wages.
IMHO, I believe if you want your new pride an joy wrecked before it's time, a sure way of acheiving this, is to allow the dealers unlimited access to alledgedly "service" your car.
By the way, I'm also under the understanding from the RAC, you are NOT beholden to have your pride and joy serviced by the dealership whence you bought your car, nor is it neccessary to have it serviced by a certified Chrysler dealer either. Provided the servicing is undertaken by a qualified/certified mechanic it's LEGIT.
Here in W.A. anyway, can't speak for other states.

Bazza_rips
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Bazza_rips » October 25th, 2007, 6:23 am

typical dealer. holden used to charge me $55 dollars for oil i could buy for $25.

and they charged $99 per hour.

tell them to jam it up their arse and find a good mechanic somewhere else.
Moderate amount of kit......... Still a bloody long list to go!

Who needs Bling when you've got Black sunnies?

ed.
Been here a while

Unread post by ed. » October 26th, 2007, 10:25 am

wildspaces wrote:They gave me a breakdown. Labour $275, fuel filter $102, oil filter $38, hose clamps $17, oil $330 and then some misc crap made up the rest.

I normally do all my own servicing so I'm pretty surprised by the cost. My previous car was a VP commodore that I kept in absolute show room condition for 10 years and 120,000k's and my total costs over those years including plugs, leads, synthetic oil, a couple of sets of coil packs and a new cat back exhaust, and 02 sensor, misc suspension bushings etc came to less than the price of two bloody services on the Commander.

I spoke to the salesman I bought the car off and he queried the service guys who said that they charge retail plus 30% for the oil. I wonder who else in the ACT can service Jeeps without voiding the factory warranty?

The service manager is supposed to be calling me to 'please explain' but as per usual I haven't heard anything from the guy.

JEEPCHIK - if you're being charged $20/l for the oil then I'd just head down the local Mobil distributor and buy it in a 20l drum. Without a trade discount its only a little over $10/l.

I'll certainly be supplying my own oil in future.
Technically any licenced mechanic can service the commander without voiding warranty. However by having your commander serviced at the stealership, any warranty claims etc you make are processed faster etc.... but ultimately it all comes down to the stealership.

Have you tried called your next closests Jeep dealer, even if it's outside of ACT, just to get a price.
[url=http://www.Australia4WD.com]www.Australia4WD.com[/url]
[url=http://www.MyCamperTrailer.com]www.MyCamperTrailer.com[/url]

disco_nex
Part of the furniture

Unread post by disco_nex » October 30th, 2007, 1:57 pm

It may well help that Jeep seem to have their "genuine" parts at pathetically high prices. If you can find a good mechanic which will not void your warranty, then go to him/her.

One of the best things of now having a nrew car.......servicings, they are a rip off.
Tools of trade:
95 Jeep XJ Cherokee, Canon 1000D, Dunlop Volleys, Swag and seat.
She cannot ride a horse because her quadriceps are so tight she cannot straddle anything larger than a border collie.

klg
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by klg » March 18th, 2009, 7:12 pm

ed. wrote:Technically any licenced mechanic can service the commander without voiding warranty. However by having your commander serviced at the stealership, any warranty claims etc you make are processed faster etc.... but ultimately it all comes down to the stealership.

Have you tried called your next closests Jeep dealer, even if it's outside of ACT, just to get a price.

Have you bought an extended warranty on your Commander yet?? If you call Jeep don't bother asking them for one. Got this reply from my Jeep Dealer when I asked them.

Dealerships can no longer sell the Jeep Extended Warranties before the vehicle’s new car warranty expires.

Pity they didn't tell me when I bought my Commander....50,000k happily thinking I could get the warranty extended and now wiped. The Jeep underwriter must be really worried about the quality of Jeeps and chickened out.

:(

My Commander

hooray
Here and there

Unread post by hooray » March 26th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Other than the cost angle, how has the vehicle performed for you?
Have some friends who are thinking of buying one.
Cheers
Hooray

smac
Avid Poster

Unread post by smac » March 15th, 2010, 9:24 pm

i have an xtrail, which ive done over 73000 in and every service seems to be over $300 which is every 10k.
a friend just bought a toyota kluger and the servicing is guarenteed at $185 for the first 50k or something
just purchased an 2010 SR5 ... waiting...

Return to “Other”