1999 Cherokee Larado 4.0L - good buy to tow our pop-top?

steelo
Part of the furniture

1999 Cherokee Larado 4.0L - good buy to tow our pop-top?

Unread post by steelo » March 4th, 2016, 2:06 pm

Hi peoples, am looking at this to tow our poptop van & was wondering how it would go. It seems to be in good nick but for a leaking passenger side front wheel/axle & aircon doesn't work. Also unregistered but at just over a grand thought it might be a good buy.
1999 WJ Grand Cherokee Laredo Jeep - no mods as yet but.......

Clarkey16
Been here a while

Re: 1999 Cherokee Larado 4.0L - good buy to tow our pop-top?

Unread post by Clarkey16 » March 4th, 2016, 8:32 pm

The 6 is a good engine with plenty of torque but uses fuel like a V8. I guarantee the springs have sagged (they all do) & I bet the rear suspension bushes have seen better days.

If your prepared to spend another 4 or 5K on repairs & suspension then you will have a great tow vehicle. Go cheap & it will bite you in the hip pocket.

Source parts from the USA & the UK, they will be cheaper by at least half (even with exchange rates)

Not trying to talk you out of buying it but remember "There is no such thing as a cheap 4wd".
Yes I did! Built with spanners not chop sticks!

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » March 4th, 2016, 10:29 pm

son has the same model, his has the occasional electrical issue, but it was dunked before he bought it ( not all the way, ) Air con pump leak = no air con

steelo
Part of the furniture

Unread post by steelo » March 6th, 2016, 9:19 am

The leaking front axle, any thoughts on that? Also noticed one of the rear window hinges has come off the window, not the body, & the front drivers side window seems to have come off it's track

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » March 6th, 2016, 11:45 pm

The window things should be easy enough to fix. . there are screws which go thru a hole in the glass with a rubber washer, The screw has probably loosened & fallen out. The RH door glass will require removing the door trim to get access to the bailey channel. The usual cause of the glass coming out of the channel is the winder mechanism has detached from the metal guide on the bottom of the glass, or occasionally the guide comes off the glass. It can be glued back on, and if the winder has come out, the nylon sliders might need replacing or just reassembling with dry lube type grease.
The front axle will be a job on its own. There is a fair bit of disassembly to get to the seal, which would probably cost about $10 or less to buy. remove wheel, calliper, hub, stub axle assembly with swivel bearings, Tie rod end, ABS sensor, axle with CV/uni, ( and I'm not sure if it slides out or is held in with a circlip or something in the diff) so its a fair bit of work but doable if you have some mechanical skills,( or friends with some !)

steelo
Part of the furniture

Unread post by steelo » March 9th, 2016, 9:02 am

Thanks everyone for the quick replies, will have to put a battery in it now as mrs & I are thinking seriously about selling our old Musso BUT have to check if she can reach the pedals as she's only 4'11" lol.
Am used to sourcing parts for American cars as have had 3 Explorers previously

steelo
Part of the furniture

Unread post by steelo » March 15th, 2016, 9:07 am

Well I suppose I can now say "I bought a Jeep ", have to seriously look at these problems now especially the diff so I can get it on the road :eek: :D

steelo
Part of the furniture

Unread post by steelo » September 24th, 2016, 10:37 am

Well replaced whole front axle/diff, easier, replaced rear lift-up window hinges, new steering damper & some minor electrical stuff done. Also had to replace radiator after a piece of wire on road went through the bottom old one grrr.
Still do to - needs a new/2nd hand computer, but still drivable, replace front d/s electric window gear & re-gas air-con plus fix wiring for electric fan.
What I will do to set up as tow tug - small lift, electric brake controller & anderson plug set-up & light bar (have these last 3 only have to fit at the same time)
Ah the never ending story hahaha :rolleyes: , Mrs doesn't think it's funny though :eek:

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » September 25th, 2016, 10:42 pm

If its an auto, put a separate trans oil cooler on it, It will save you a transmission

steelo
Part of the furniture

Unread post by steelo » October 6th, 2016, 7:46 am

Thanks, I forgot to mention that, I have one just waiting to get other stuff out of the way 1st. Grrr the pcu finally fried & is no longer drivable so sourced a 2nd hand pcu + skim + key & barrel (from Jeep Recyclers), that was money I was going to spend on getting the other gear installed 1st :rolleyes: but..... What has to be done has to be done, also noticed smoke coming from front brake rotors, p/s, so also have to replace them asap.

Return to “Cherokee / Grand Cherokee”