2004 KJ Cherokee diesel radiator warning light is on? Why?

Specialized29er
I'm new, be nice!

2004 KJ Cherokee diesel radiator warning light is on? Why?

Unread post by Specialized29er » February 21st, 2016, 5:23 am

Hi Folks, the wife and I love the look and feel of the diesel Jeep Cherokee and are considering purchasing a 76,000 klm 2004 model but not just yet due to the radiator warning light staying on. The elderly lady who own it has never taken it off road and until the passing of her husband it was serviced every 10,000 klms.

The owner tells us that just before pop died the radiator warning light comes on at start up and continues to stay on while being driven. We've checked the coolant and its clean and full so I'm wondering could this be as simple as a faulty sensor and do the Cherokees have an issue with some of their sensors?

Normally what does the radiator warning light mean on the Jeeps? we also have a modern V6 Holden Commodore ute and once we had a hole form in the radiator and the warning light came on and then the engine shut down, so do the Jeeps have the radiator sensor located on the engine or on the radiator?

After her husband passed away she cancelled the rego and ins only because she doesn't drive so I'd hate to purchase it and then find out after a long drive that it's having other issues that's causing the warning light to stay on.

Then again at 76,000 ks and only $5,000 it might be worth buying it and having it looked at and having the repair done.
We only found out that Clare has the Jeep thru our mum who goes to the same indoor bowls club, so Clare's going to hold off from advertising it for sale until we say yes or no.

Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Moved on over to Auss Jeep forum

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 2004 KJ Cherokee diesel radiator warning light is on? Wh

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 21st, 2016, 8:53 am

Welcome to the Forum! :thumb:

About the Jeep, why not arrange a mechanical check from a reputable mob who do those, specifying that you don't just want to know THAT the rad light is on but that you want an idea of WHY the rad light is on!! Some places/checks can be fairly superficial, but if you tell them you want a proper mechanical appraisal of the vehicle as a long term 4WD go-er, most are sensible enough to do things like check the diff & gear oil, trans case oil, etc as well as doing the compression & a leak down test - good 'instantaneous compression' test results is a good sign, but without good results on a leak down (or bleed down) test too, you can't have any real confidence that the block/head/inj system is in good enough condition to do much more than get you out the drive!!! So along with a thorough mechanical check, get a compression & leak down test done too.

Of course, this sort of mechanical test will cost you a few dollars, maybe as much as $300; and you SHOULD get it done BEFORE you buy, just like you get a REVS/ownership check done & you make sure that the seller is legally able to sell you the vehicle, cos if you don't & you pay money over & then find out down track, the risk is yours & you may well end up with a dud or find the car repossessed!! Do the checks FIRST! It's called 'being sensible' ;) And if you are pretty sure you want to buy the thing anyway, what's a few dollars spent towards making sure you are getting what you believe you are? :)

But if you decide you don't want to go ahead, could you drop me her contact details, I know a couple of people who might be interested in doing the checks & if the results are all good, taking it off her hands, especially at that sort of price!! :sillywink:

Good luck.
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Specialized29er
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Specialized29er » February 23rd, 2016, 4:08 am

Hi Pete, we had the tests done today and now own the Cherokee, thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Moved on over to Auss Jeep forum

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 23rd, 2016, 7:45 am

Congratulations on your buy!! :thumb:

Here's hoping you enjoy the vehicle & 4WD'ing it'll let you do.... altho you know you will get a certain degree of bagging that 'you bought a Jeep!' ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Clarkey16
Been here a while

Unread post by Clarkey16 » February 23rd, 2016, 3:36 pm

Welcome to the club :lol:
Sorry I missed your original post, have you fixed the light? Was it the coolant level low sensor in the coolant reservoir?
Yes I did! Built with spanners not chop sticks!

Return to “Cherokee / Grand Cherokee”