pre purchase research pro's nd cons of the diesel renegade.

tim_pato
Here and there

pre purchase research pro's nd cons of the diesel renegade.

Unread post by tim_pato » March 21st, 2015, 10:58 am

I'm looking at buying a jeep renegade turbo diesel around 05 07 model.
My wife needs a new car and is deadset it has to be an auto medium sized suv. I want to get something that will tow a car and trailer.
The only medium sized suv (that's not chinese junk) on the market with a decent towing capacity is the turbo diesel jeep renegade.
I'd like to hear from people who currently or have owned one that can tell me what they think about them. How they ride, reliability hiw they handle towing heavy loads, any week points etc.

hollyanne
I'm new, be nice!

Re: pre purchase research pro's nd cons of the diesel renega

Unread post by hollyanne » March 26th, 2015, 2:25 pm

Hey Tim,
I have a 2005 Jeep Cherokee Extreme Sport CRD. It's basically just a rebadged Renegade. It's an interesting little car.

They ride pretty well, stock suspension's a bit hard but that's to be expected in a 4x4. They are excellent to park, due to their size and manoeuvrability. Little bit noisy, but you can always turn up the radio. My mum loves to drive it round the city because it sits high and can get into those tight little spaces that bigger 4x4s can't.

As for reliability, the engine is pretty sound. Haven't had any problems with it in the year I've had it. Only issue I've had is a malfunctioning ABS sensor, but that was easily and cheaply replaced.

I haven't towed anything exceptionally heavy, but I've towed a 1.5 tonne caravan and it handled itself fairly well. It is a small car so there was some swaying but that seemed to correct itself at higher speeds.

Some things to watch out for:
*They have been known to leak coolant for no apparent reason
*The check engine light sometimes comes on for no apparent reason, then goes off again.
*As part of the emissions control system on the CRD engine, gases that vent from the crankcase breather on top of the engine are re-routed into the air intake before the intercooler. These expelled gases also contain a mist of oil that condenses on the hoses and eventually clogs the fine passages of the intercooler. This isn't peculiar to the CRD KJ, most modern turbo diesels have a similar system. This can be fixed by installing a Mann Provent.
*Some steering wheel shimmy is normal, it's due to the rotors wearing unevenly. This is due in part to the aggressive pad material of the factory pads on rotors that are made of relatively soft iron.
If you have more questions, try ausjeepoffroad. They have a special forum just for KJs.

With all that being said, I love my little Cherokee, but the fact is it's not for everyone. Servicing can be a nightmare. I waited a month last year for a new timing belt to arrive from the States. Parts are hard to get, often expensive. Even little things like the transmission oil have to be ordered, you can't just chuck any old oil in there. I got my Jeep because I've had a life long love affair with the brand. I'm not getting rid of it any time soon, despite what it's costing me. But for someone like yourself, who just needs a towing car, I would be inclined to look elsewhere. But don't completely forget the Cherokee, they are truly great little machines if you can stand the price tag.

tim_pato
Here and there

Unread post by tim_pato » March 26th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the options for meduim sized 4wd's with a decent towing capacity are limited. So far I've got a choice between the kj, vw touareg and Porsche cayenne. I'd imagine next to those 2 jeep parts wouldn't be to expensive. As for the other little niggly things like the brakes, well some nice new slotted rotors and decent pads wouldn't go a strey on a tow vehicle. Catch cans are an easy fix though I'm a cheap bastard I'd probably just eliminate the egr and let the mist vent under the sump. I'm confident enough with a set of spanners to replace the torque converter although we'd be looking at an 07 model and I'm yet to confirm if the 07 models had the same tranny problems the 05-06 models had. I haven't had a 4wd before and the thought of going somewhere remote really sounds awesome. I'd love to get a t2 r5 tdi luxury or a v6tdi vw touareg but i feel the maitenance costs would be to much for us at the present. It is good to know that the kj's aren't to bad to park because my wife (i love her to death and i hope she never reads this) can't park for shite. She struggles with a Nissan pulsar sedan :-| what's your average fuel useage around town?

tim_pato
Here and there

Unread post by tim_pato » April 29th, 2015, 8:17 am

So we picked her up on Saturday :-) 07 kj limited 2.8 crd 78xxxklms with a bit of hail damage from a dealer for 12k. First mods will be an alloy radiator (if i can find one) and a big transmission cooler and fan. I plan on using all of the 2.8t towing capacity.

Return to “Cherokee / Grand Cherokee”