KJ liberty

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

KJ liberty

Unread post by outback cruisa » September 21st, 2011, 1:29 pm

I'm looking for my next 4wd to mod and play with.
So far my requiremnts are DIESEL and under 10g.

I am looking at a couple of KJ LIBERTY /cherokee in manual

How does this model fare? Scope for mods? cost of mode?

As far as mods go ill be looking at winchbar, snorkel, 2in lift, a/t tyres at a min and usual spotties etc and rear drawers homemade sliders etc.

Am I onto a good model for that?

I'm lookong at doing touring and the odd weekend fire trail in it
Pathy Buildup: Project Pathy

4WDAction Issue 185 Full Feature

starsky.au
Getting to know the place

Re: KJ liberty

Unread post by starsky.au » September 21st, 2011, 7:31 pm

I have a 3.7 KJ 2005 model
I just did a lift, fitted a snorkel and ARB bar cost $4,300. It would be cheaper if you do it yourself. One mod you really need to do is get bash plates for under the vehicle, engine, Transmission and fuel tank.
The only mod I cant find is a long range fuel tank.

I did the Holland Track with just the bash plates, they saved damage and dollars. Since I did the other mods the cherokee is even better.

Next year I plan to take the short cut to Alice Springs from Perth.
The KJ will go anywhere you are capable of driving it.

For your draws I found IKEA has a kit that has two draws fits behind the back seat, is large enough for recovery gear, puncture repair kits etc and cost $99.00. The draws are even self closing.

I think the parts are quicker to get for a lawn cruiser but the money saved buying a KJ more than makes up for that.

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » September 21st, 2011, 8:12 pm

cool bannanas
im looking at an 02 model with a 2.5l TD in it which my boss says is the same engine in his VW Passat which is pretty much bullet proof and he highy rates it.
But it will have to wait until I sell my pathy first :(

The bash plates, are they store bought, or would anybody from 1 of the numerous Jeep forums have a CAD design for them so I can have them fabbed up for about $40ea at my local shop that did my bash plate for the pathy?

But other then that depending on how much difference I will have between my sale and what I buy the jeep for will depend on how much I have left over for mods up front
Pathy Buildup: Project Pathy

4WDAction Issue 185 Full Feature

YesItsAJeep
Here and there

Unread post by YesItsAJeep » January 30th, 2015, 9:17 pm

I've got the 03 Libby in the 2.8 CRD and so far ive been able to handle anything i've looked at. Going to add a few more mods like snorkel, dual battery etc for touring and im planning to have it fully kitted for under $5000. Plenty of torque and a decent fuel ecconomy. Definitely recommend the KJ's
I know! I know! I bought a Jeep!

Clarkey16
Been here a while

Unread post by Clarkey16 » February 5th, 2015, 8:17 am

The 2.5 is a VM Motori (Fiat) motor with 4 separate heads, the 2.8 VM Motori is a far better engine (traditional single head). Jeep still use it in the wrangler & Holden are using a version in the Colorado.

Whatever you end up with check the service history, especially the timing belt & water pump.
Yes I did! Built with spanners not chop sticks!

Return to “Cherokee / Grand Cherokee”