Considering a JK

bouncing Benny
Been here a while

Re: Considering a JK

Unread post by bouncing Benny » June 2nd, 2011, 11:01 pm

G'day Paul-JK, wow, thanks for the in depth reply, thats all I was after, JK owners, are they experiencing the problems that I stumbled across the other day, as I haven't heard Aussie owners speaking of them, and I see alot of the problems which were on the list were for 2010 models.
I kinda fell in love with the idea of buying a JK, but was greatly disheartened by all those faults on the lists I attached. As I said earlier I can except there will be small faults with most cars, just the list for the JK seemed large and at times dangerous.
Perhaps American laws or quality control isn't to the same level of Aussie ones, given how policed we are with modifications, I wouldn't be surprised.
If anyone else can confirm these issues, or inform if these problems have been dealt with, would be nice.
Cheers

Paul-JK
Here and there

Unread post by Paul-JK » June 3rd, 2011, 2:03 pm

The Wrangler is one of those cars that you either love, and will therefore put up with a few issues here and there, or hate and therefore won't. If you love them then there's not much you can do to convince yourself to get anything else. I've always liked them since I was a kid. Just took me nearly 20 years of driving to be in a position to be able to get one for one reason or another. Now I'm happy as a pig in #$%!. Would be even happier if I could afford all of the mods I keep reading about.

American build quality does leave a little to be desired (I'm being polite) but I have found the Jeep dealers and Chrysler/Jeep themselves to be more than accommodating in sorting out any issues. I suppose it depends on which garage you go to as well but I also find the Jeep dealers are more interested and therefore more knowledgeable about Jeeps (particularly the Wrangler) than with other brands which makes a big difference. When you know the mechanics drive massively modified Wranglers themselves you know you're on to a winner.

Also, be careful about putting too much stock in what you read on forums etc. You only tend to read about the problems a small number of people are having rather than the hundreds of others who have no problems at all. It is handy to know about the problems but you have to take them in context. That goes double when you start looking at mods. There is so much available for the JK it's unreal. I've gone round in circles so many times trying to decided about tires and lift kits and still haven't made my mind up. You keep trying to find that extra piece of info that'll back up your decision and never really do. Research is good and valuable but there comes a point when you just got to put your money down, get the stuff fitted and then go out and enjoy using it. Bring on the BFG muddies!

skinnee
Here and there

Unread post by skinnee » June 3rd, 2011, 7:03 pm

Paul-JK wrote:The Wrangler is one of those cars that you either love, and will therefore put up with a few issues here and there, or hate and therefore won't. If you love them then there's not much you can do to convince yourself to get anything else. I've always liked them since I was a kid. Just took me nearly 20 years of driving to be in a position to be able to get one for one reason or another. Now I'm happy as a pig in #$%!. Would be even happier if I could afford all of the mods I keep reading about.

American build quality does leave a little to be desired (I'm being polite) but I have found the Jeep dealers and Chrysler/Jeep themselves to be more than accommodating in sorting out any issues. I suppose it depends on which garage you go to as well but I also find the Jeep dealers are more interested and therefore more knowledgeable about Jeeps (particularly the Wrangler) than with other brands which makes a big difference. When you know the mechanics drive massively modified Wranglers themselves you know you're on to a winner.

Also, be careful about putting too much stock in what you read on forums etc. You only tend to read about the problems a small number of people are having rather than the hundreds of others who have no problems at all. It is handy to know about the problems but you have to take them in context. That goes double when you start looking at mods. There is so much available for the JK it's unreal. I've gone round in circles so many times trying to decided about tires and lift kits and still haven't made my mind up. You keep trying to find that extra piece of info that'll back up your decision and never really do. Research is good and valuable but there comes a point when you just got to put your money down, get the stuff fitted and then go out and enjoy using it. Bring on the BFG muddies!
Totally agree with your comments, bang for buck i went the wrangler. I looked at 4 patrols year 07 and higher all had oil seal leaks from the engine, the 4.2 TD patrol and workmate land cruiser was out of the price range.

The wrangler ticked all the boxes (CRD version)

The vehicle i was looking for was a solid axle family tourer with air bags for driver and passenger.

In the end i prefer the minor issues with a jeep over the unknown on a patrol 3 litre motor not owned by myself since new.

Unlimited budget i would have bought a land cruiser workmate with factory lockers and air bags.

Paul-JK
Here and there

Unread post by Paul-JK » June 5th, 2011, 9:47 am

I went through a similar process. Was looking at the GU or Series II Disco and both had their merits but both had some significant downsides/potential issues which concerned me as I'm not mechanically minded at all. Then found the diesels Wranglers. For the money I ideally wanted to spend I should have been looking at an '07 but then decided that an '08 would be better with the extra 50Nm torque for the auto version. This was in late '09 so there weren't many '08 models coming up on the second hand market yet and the ones that were around weren't much cheaper than a new one. So, decided to sod the budget and get a new one, much to the disgust of the other half. As you say, bang for your buck you can't beat them.

Definitely don't regret the choice. While the GU & the Series II are both great vehicles, the Wrangler has a stronger engine, is more unique and I've always loved them. I enjoy myself getting out off road but to be honest it doesn't get flogged hard as I run out of nerve a long time before it runs out of ability so hopefully it'll last me a long time.

I think if I had unlimited funds I'd probably go for the 76 Series wagon but get it fitted with an after market auto (as well as a heap of other bits & pieces). That would do for the big trips traveling around Aus.......but I'd still get a 2dr JK for the local weekend fun (or weekday fun as well because if I could afford that then I've obviously just won the lottery and don't need to work!).

AdamN
Here and there

Unread post by AdamN » June 9th, 2011, 5:32 am

Hi all,

I'm also looking at changing vehicles (currently have a diesel manual GU Patrol - awesome vehicle but now am going to start using my car to travel from the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane each day for work). I'm going to lease my next one and have been tossing up between the 4-door Jeep (had a preference for manual petrol) or the current Defender. I know - very different fourbys but both have their advantages for me. Plus my first car was a LR Series 2 and I've always had a soft spot for them.
The bits I've read about the manual gearboxes and clutches in the jeep is of concern. Surely they are only failing with really hard off-road work - and what about in the Rubicon, is it the same box?
Regards

Paul-JK
Here and there

Unread post by Paul-JK » June 9th, 2011, 3:37 pm

I think you'll find the Wrangler easier to live with day to day. Having said that I've never driven a Defender so I'm only going on what I've heard but there not exactly known for their ergonomics. I find the Wrangler really comfortable, even on longer drives. The Defender will probably have the edge if you're looking at load capacity and I'd expect it will get better fuel consumption, especially if compared to the petrol Wrangler. Not sure how soon you're looking at changing but the Wranglers petrol engine is due to be upgraded soon so might be worth waiting for that.

As far as I know the issue with the weak clutches on the Wranglers is only on the diesels as they have a fair bit more torque than the petrol. Should be less of an issue again with the Rubicon as it gets different gear ratios (4.1 I think rather than 3.23 which is standard in the other manuals).

skinnee
Here and there

Unread post by skinnee » June 9th, 2011, 7:28 pm

AdamN wrote:Hi all,

I'm also looking at changing vehicles (currently have a diesel manual GU Patrol - awesome vehicle but now am going to start using my car to travel from the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane each day for work). I'm going to lease my next one and have been tossing up between the 4-door Jeep (had a preference for manual petrol) or the current Defender. I know - very different fourbys but both have their advantages for me. Plus my first car was a LR Series 2 and I've always had a soft spot for them.
The bits I've read about the manual gearboxes and clutches in the jeep is of concern. Surely they are only failing with really hard off-road work - and what about in the Rubicon, is it the same box?
Regards
I have just purchased a manual CRD, just got the thrust bearing replaced under warranty and it has done 75,000km, i think the clutch would wear quicker on hard core users but it depends on how often you use the clutch incorrectly and your gear ratio's.

I grew up with Series 2 land rovers, the landy will have more towing capacity over the jeep. The Jeep CRD payload is 600kg, not sure what a defender is capable of carrying as never looked into them much as the wife hates them.

The 08 onwards i think came out with 3.21 diff ratio which is way too high (ok if you never want to take it off road), i am changing mine to 4.11 which will suit off road and towing.

101 Ron
Avid Poster

Unread post by 101 Ron » June 29th, 2011, 8:49 pm

I have been around 4Bys before they were popular and have owned many diferent types and brands.
In the family now we have a 2011 Rubicon.
Bang for the buck was good and no build or quaility problems.
The bad stuff first.
It is small on the inside and the big woofer in the rear wastes alot of room.
The petrol motor has a lack of torque just off idle and this while not a big thing does affect idling over rocks etc off road and some times around town driving.
The six speed gear box changes sweety enough but it just some how doesnt come together well with the rest of the vehicle and it feels like you are forever gearing gears for the sake of it.
The vehicle looks like it has plenty of ground clearence, but it doesnt.
The belly hangs very low on the four door.(need more clearence)
Lacks a bit of drivers foot room.
Steering is slightly light (typical american taste steering)
Under very hard cornering the tail end doesnt feel very stable and the ESC will cut in a bit early at times too.
American style high body sides with small windows, so you feel you are sitting in a box rather than looking out.( kids cant see out )
The good stuff.
I love the standard features out of the box for off road work like the 78 to 1 low range.
The factory sway bar dis connect works a treat as does the flex off road and the lack of roll on road.
The suspension works well for what the vehicle is on and off road.
It pulls a trailer well.
Factory lockers work very well inoperation.
Can bus dash board and the information it gives is good.
Highway fuel burn with medium load sitting on 100 kph is 12 litre per 100 kms
Good factory options list and plently of standard items .
Very quiet inside with the hard top and no leaks.
Brillant approach and departure angles.
Factory bash plates...like real metal ones.
Most things seem to be straight forward to work on and access.
Heating and air con good.
Goes well enough and eats all diesel 4 bys on road.
Design with real off roading in mind.
Good foot room and comfort in the rear seats.
The seating position is much improved on the 2010 model we test drove before buying the 2011 model.
I like it and have no real issuses living with the current model JK rubicon.

Been here a while

Unread post by 037981 » July 10th, 2011, 8:36 pm

hi my Brother is considering buying a jeep wrangler unlimited 2.8crd but having trouble finding one in qld there's tons of petrol around but no diesels also how much did you pay he has seen some for 41,990 driveaway for the diesel automatic 2010 but I'm not sure how many km it has done this is from a dealer what are they like towing a trailer

101 Ron
Avid Poster

Unread post by 101 Ron » July 10th, 2011, 10:08 pm

Rubricon with many options 50k
Remember the rubricon has stronger dana 44 front diff, factory locker front and rear,rock sliders, electric sway bar disconnect and deeper reduction in low range.
We had ARB winch, bar tow bar and full lenght flip over roof rack , paint and rust protection for that price vehicle was purchased this Janurary.

Been here a while

Unread post by 037981 » July 10th, 2011, 10:45 pm

that would be good but my brother is stretching it as it is he is only second year apprentice
he has quite a bit of money saved up the rest will be on loan

Been here a while

Unread post by 037981 » July 11th, 2011, 11:10 pm

my brother has found a jeep wrangler unlimited Silver crd 2.8 2010 only 2100km dealer demo
fitted with towbar and window tinting for 40 grand the only problem is he lives in Brisbane the car is in Bundaberg does this sound like a good deal :)
Last edited by 037981 on July 13th, 2011, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turning a 2wd into a 4wd beast 3 inch straight through Taipan exhaust monster V2 piggyback ECU 5 inch left F-C II TYRE LT265/75R16 on alliedwheels Thunder Full Polish

Paul-JK
Here and there

Unread post by Paul-JK » July 12th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Is it an auto or manual and does it include the Renegade Pack (hard top, sides steps & stereo upgrade)?

Been here a while

Unread post by 037981 » July 12th, 2011, 8:42 pm

yes it is automatic and it is the Renegade Pack has all the above mentioned
Last edited by 037981 on July 13th, 2011, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turning a 2wd into a 4wd beast 3 inch straight through Taipan exhaust monster V2 piggyback ECU 5 inch left F-C II TYRE LT265/75R16 on alliedwheels Thunder Full Polish

Paul-JK
Here and there

Unread post by Paul-JK » July 13th, 2011, 12:27 pm

The price seems good to me then. Definitely a good bit less than I paid. There's always a bit of a risk with demonstrators as you never know who's driven it and whether they knew what they were doing but it doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

Bit of a hike for him to go and pick it up but at least he gets a good chance to try it out on the way home.

Return to “JK Wrangler”